PDA

View Full Version : water containers?

crazy4discus
09-18-2003, 01:09 AM
hey guys where can i get huge water containers at? i got 55 gal rubbermaids right now but there all bending out because of the water thats in it... it looks like its gonna flex out and all the water is gonna fall out... so i was wondering where can i get a water container or barrel at? i need big ones at least 55 gal or more... let me know if you guys know where i can get any at thank you guys

Carol_Roberts
09-18-2003, 01:15 AM
I bought mine at a farm bureau or farm co-op type store. A place that sells feed and stock water troughs. Hunters use them to pack water for camping . . . .

My 55 gallon plastic barrels contained greek olives.

ping
09-18-2003, 01:30 AM
Hi David,

Check this out:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1

HTH,
Ronny

April
09-18-2003, 01:52 AM
there you go..or ....look under plastics in the yellow pages.

Divantie
09-18-2003, 02:33 AM
Sometime your LFS have use barrel that they will resale for about 20 buck. If that still cost too most, try your local pepsi or coke company for 5 to 10 dollar. But if that still cost too most, try your local freeway ;D Priceless ;D

crazy4discus
09-18-2003, 02:59 AM
thanks guys well i just ordered 3 55gal drum liners on that site for only 30 bucks total with shipping thanks a bunch guys everyone was a big help =)

limige
09-18-2003, 03:18 AM
i made my own 230 gallon storage tank ;)

see dyi section for more info.

Steve_Warner
09-18-2003, 03:39 AM
Hi all,
David, you do realize that you ordered LINERS, not barrels, right? These are just like a trash bag type thing that goes inside a barrel to stay between the product(water) and the sides of the barrel. They are about the thickness of a heavy duty heafty bag (24 MIL). You might want to cancel that order and try again. HTH

Steve

crazy4discus
09-18-2003, 04:00 AM
whoa lucky you told me i need to cancle now

crazy4discus
09-18-2003, 04:29 AM
thanks a lot steve if you didnt let me know i would have wasted my money i just emailed them to cancle my order i knew i couldnt find no barrels for that cheap and where can i buy the pepsi or coke barrels at? i dont know if there is a coke or pepsi company here 5-10 bucks thats a great deal

limige
09-18-2003, 06:20 AM
if you don't have a bottling plant nearby try a food manufacture, some place that brings in ingrediants to make something. all your looking for is food grade barrels.

mike

DarkDiscus
09-18-2003, 08:45 AM
I bought myself a 65 gallon commercial grade water storage bin and a quality pump/hose/outlet set up from John at Jehmco and I love the thing. It cost me under $100, and I didn't have to try to track down, clean and soak a used tank. That said, if you have the time, the used ones are much cheaper (you can get some free!) and they work just as well.

He can get even bigger units as well. Just tell him what you need.

Just make sure you ask him for a threaded plug to go with it!

John

darcy
09-18-2003, 09:09 AM
Well I get my 55 gal barrels for FREE!!!! Yes nothing better than free. Sometimes it pays off to work at an Environmental company. Once my barrels get all dirty I just throw them in my truck and trade them in for new ones!!!
I can get anyone close to me barrels for dirt cheap just let me know. Nice thing about them is they have lids that can be removed for easy cleaning!!

Darcy

Tad
09-18-2003, 01:30 PM
David,
Im sure in the Stockton area you should be able to find food grade containers either from some of the salvage yards, recycle centers, farm supplys or possibly from your Coca Cola distributor...look through the yellow pages. I have used the rubbermaid approach and have experienced the same problems that you are where the thickness of the container did not have shape durability....I am enclosing pics of food grade containers that I use...some are 55 and some are 30's...I have used these for over a year and a half and have not had any problems with them at all...the key is to make sure you get the lids with the containers and have the bungs removed so you can drop your hearter and aeriation down the same hole...
Containers cost about $15 per 55 gallon and $10 per 30 gallon..
If you should get these used containers make sure you clean them properly before using them for water storage.

HTH,
Tad

Tad
09-18-2003, 01:33 PM
55 gallon storage,

DavidH
09-18-2003, 02:28 PM
How do you guys clean these larger barrels. I had 55 gal drums that I used for a while, but it was hard to get to the bottom for cleaning. So now I use heavy duty rubbermaid 42gal trash bins. I find it much easier to get to the bottom for cleaning.

crazy4discus
09-18-2003, 03:51 PM
thanks for all your help guys i just went to home depot and bought me 3 rubbermaid trashcan at 34 gal each 9 buck each not that bad i just need to age more water so i can change more water for my babies thanks for all the great help though guys i really appreciate it

DarkDiscus
09-18-2003, 04:30 PM
My barrel has a hole in the top and a plugged drain on the bottom. To clean (which I do not do often) I fill with water, add bleach, let soak, drain, then rinse thoroughly and refill and add heavy dechlorinator.

I also recently added an internal filter for peat purposes and it has the added plus of removing a lot of the gunk that would otherwise clog the tank...

John

allan_mark76
09-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Crazy if you are ever in SD give me a holla ! ! ! I get them for $5 bucks at a local recycling place. He has tons of them.... They contained concentraded coca-cola and I was told to add a cup full of bleach, let it stand over night full of water, empty it, and dry overnight. After drying shoot it out vigorously with water, let it stand again overnight with water and then it's usable. Instead of paying $$$Bling_Bling$$$ for Rubbermaid garbage containers that will bend easily check out your local recycling plant, food warehouse, or cooking supply store. For a used container they go for well under $10.00. New they would sell for $30-35.

A- ;D

crazy4discus
09-18-2003, 07:10 PM
thanks allan but man i dont think ima be in sd anytime soon lol or esle i would have purcahsed your red whites from you already yeah rubbermaid bends very easy man but i dont know where esle to get it from so that will have to do for now

korbi_doc
09-18-2003, 11:51 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Just as a postscript, I've been using 32g Rubbermaid tubs with wheels for water storage for 2 yrs now. I think perhaps the fact that I lean the handles & wheelside against the tankstands for support as they fill may be a major contributing factor in their longevity. So far so good, & now I have just managed to get some of those food grade 55g white tubs. Actually the brown RM probably look better in my LR than these will, lol, Dottie ;D ;D

crazy4discus
09-19-2003, 12:11 AM
nice im useing the rubbermaid trash can 34 gals right now just got rid of the rubbermaid 55gal clothes holder it bent out so nasty got me mad and tooked up so much room the trash can doesnt bend and saves me a lot of room so now i can have all the age water for all my babies =)