PDA

View Full Version : tds level

nowings
09-18-2003, 07:02 PM
Is there a bad or dangerous level ot "tds" for discus.

nancy

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-18-2003, 08:09 PM
I would say a bad level would be a really low one when you use an R/O with a D/I attatched. That water is to pure and not a single living creature could survive in water like that. that pure of water does not have any of the minerals that are needed for a healthy discus. Now as for the other end of the TDS spectrum....im not sure how high is too high. HTH

-Ryan

nowings
09-19-2003, 06:59 AM
Thanks Ryan,

I would also like to know how high it to high!!! And how does it got fromm 200 to 850....

Nancy

korbi_doc
09-19-2003, 03:02 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Nancy, I'm not sure what you are asking, but the water TDS will increase whenever something, minerals ie, are added. FI, my tap water thru a softener is >900ppms. So I have used 100% R/O water that is reconstituted with minerals to my usage. 90g tank is 380ppms, 125g is 360ppms, & baby tank is 350ppms. These are all young, still growing & I am not trying to breed. I believe youngsters should be between 300-350ppms. I know what my water contains since I am the one putting the minerals in there, so the calcium & magnesium are sufficient for growth. The tap water thru a softener at a high level of ppms is mostly sodium ions which have replaced the Ca & MG so necessary for growth. There fore that water is poor & my discus were ill when I tried to use it. Breeders want the TDS level much lower than this, (usually the reason for R/O water) but mind you some discus could care less, like my persistent redss who breeds now in the community 125g tank. In order for the TDS to increase from 200-850ppms, something has to be put in there, usually salt. HTH, Dottie