PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane update

09-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi all, just thought I would update all on how things are going here in Va Beach, I will soon be on day 5 without power.......We are now starting to have problems with the water and sewer.....We made it through the storm ok...we are allot better off than most......I have been able to charge the lap top and at least hop on line for a few minutes each day now.....The discus are doing ok....I have all of the air pumps running off an inverter and so far so good. I think if things dont get any worse I will be able to pull all of them through this set back without any loses......We may still be out power for some time, no one really knows....95% of the area lost power and only a small % has gotten power back so far....Things are pretty bad as far as trying to get safe clean water, ice and gas....It looks like a war zone around here...I will try and post some pics of what kind of damage a class one hurricane can do once we get power back.......I am glad this storm died down from a class 5 before it hit or I may not be here to type this.....
More later................

Randy

yogi
09-21-2003, 09:19 PM
I'm glad to here your doing ok. I wish everybody affected by the strom all the best. I've seen some of the pictures on the news of different areas hit by the storm. I still remember the damage hurricane Andrew caused when it came thru here in August of 92. I hope to never see that type of damage again.

April
09-21-2003, 09:29 PM
Wow Randy. im glad you are ok. I hope you get your power back soon. and your water is ok for the fish.
thanks for updating us all.
WE havent gotten alot of news here. ive been watching the papers.but not much info and i dont turn my tv on.
welll hope its all back to normal soon.
good luck with the fish. :fish:

chinoz
09-21-2003, 10:10 PM
I just got my power back today, out of all my discus, 6 of my babies die due to cold water. I got a battery air pump running so it was fine, but the water was getting colder everyday. The rest of the gangs are doing ok now, eating like pigs and color start to recover ;D

Im getting Cary's fish soon (Tuesday), i will post some pics for you guys to see.

Pat_in_NC
09-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Hi Randy,

My sympathies are with you. I remember being without power last winter for a week after the ice storms and trying to get by as best we could. As you said the important thing is everyone in your family is ok after that you try to make the best of it. I hope you get power back soon and of course I hope your fishies make it through this!

Stay safe,

Pat

09-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Hey Randy.....

I'm glad to see that storm downsized a bit before she landed :o I know how much damage those things can cause. I'm also glad to know you and your's are safe.

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

Beth

09-22-2003, 12:56 PM
Hi Randy,

Hope it goes well and am glad you are doing somewhat fine.

My thoughts are with you guy's.

Ronald

Discus_KC
09-22-2003, 11:19 PM
To all of those affected, you are in our thoughts !!!!!!!!!! Just take it one day at a time !!!!!! Just like we are !!!!!!!!!!!

Jack

mench
09-23-2003, 05:59 AM
Randy,the heck with the fish,I am just thankful that you,Tracey and Chris are ok..Hope things get back together for ya soon...

Mench

09-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know "We got the power"!!!!
It came back on last night at 9:45pm. I'm sure Randy will have more to add later...he had to go to work this morning.
Thanks so much for all the thought and prayers.

Tracey

Jeffery_Doty
09-23-2003, 10:04 AM
Tracey,

Thanks for the update, and that is good news!

Jeff
Oregon

09-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Hi all......Sure is nice coming home to a house with power....I even left work a little early just so I could get home and enjoy it
Glad to see that everyone is getting their power back......Last I hear was that Joe's power was still out....Lets hope it is back on soon...

Got my first real look at the discus just a few minutes ago....They look great, Wow the young ones sure have grown in 5 days....even just on 1 feeding a day
All of the discus seem to look like nothing even happened........Just a really long night, as I ran no lights The car battery and inverter worked great.......Tracey was at home and was able to keep a fully charged battery running the airpumps at all times.......Thanks Babe, I love ya......so do the fish
Dont think I want to go though this again without a generator but I didnt want to run out and buy one like everyone else was doing as I want to do a whole house setup and didnt want to spend 500-700 dollars on a generator I didnt really want just for this one storm.
Let me tell you, I am amazed at the amount of damage that a class one hurracane can do...I remember sitting at home as it hit the area thinking this storm was "Nothing" Heck We played out in the rain and wind during most of the storm.....But the next day as I drove around I was so surprised at the amount of damage the storm did.....It will take years for allot of this area to recover fully......I have some pics I took of some of the damage the storm did and will post a few the next day or so.......I can tell you after seeing all of this, if a class 3-4 even decides to come this way, trust me....we are out of here....
Our only loss was just what was in out freezers and the fridge, I did have to throw over 50 dollars in fish food away, plus the several pounds of beefheart I had just made up a few days before the storm but no big deal, I will buy/make more.......
A few things are starting to get back to normal.....UPS even delievered a tank order today that I had made from Glasscages

Randy 8)