PDA

View Full Version : Adult mix with 1" frys

chinoz
09-22-2003, 12:57 AM
Can I do this? i got a 55 gal tank with two 4 - 5" discus, i will get frys from Cary soon and i was wondering if i can mix them together... or shoudl i split the tank with divider? any suggestion guys?

Thanh.

Jeff
09-22-2003, 02:12 AM
It would not be a good idea to do this. The competation for food will leave the smaller ones starving. It would be best to split into two tanks.

limige
09-22-2003, 03:49 AM
lol your hilarious jeff, no offense but have you ever watched those fry eat!!!!!

after about 2 months they are ok to put with adults.. i have my 4 month old turks in with my wild rsg's, and the turks are the first ones at the food and the adults have to battle their way through but usually wait for the cbw to scatter a bit and come their way.

crazy4discus
09-22-2003, 04:19 AM
i still say go buy a little 20 gal for them bro grow them up a little then you can put them together just my opinion though

limige
09-22-2003, 05:57 AM
well, i just noticed he said 1" fry, that's still alittle small to mix but once they are 2-3" i wouldn't hesitate.

chinoz
09-22-2003, 10:44 AM
The two adults that i have is not really a good eater, they are really shy, they only eat when im away or the light is off, so i dont think food will be a problem for the frys. ::)

Jeff
09-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Well TNT if you want try it for yourself. I have raised thousands of discus from 1-1.5" to adults and all I can say is I have not been able to keep 1" discus with adults and get the growth that I want. Maybe you can let us know. :)

09-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi Thanh....

I myself wouldn't advise it :o Maybe after they're say 2 1/2 inches ..... maybe.... ::)

JMO
Beth

chinoz
09-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Jeff,

Never mind then i will take your word for it ;D ;D ;D ;D, I will purchase another tank today for the frys....20gal is fine huh?

chinoz
09-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Hi Thanh....

I myself wouldn't advise it :o Maybe after they're say 2 1/2 inches ..... maybe.... ::)

JMO
Beth

Beth !

havent see you online for a while, hows your fish doing?

i guess i have to buy another tank for them frys then ;D

09-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Thanh......

Beth !

all is well on this end of the world..... fish are great and growing everyday ;) I'll get some pics up soon ;)

Beth

chinoz
09-22-2003, 11:39 AM
Thanh......

Beth !

all is well on this end of the world..... fish are great and growing everyday ;) I'll get some pics up soon ;)

Beth

GREAT !!! i love to see your fish and your Altums !! too....i have to wait for one more month for those altums, Paul is still QTing them ;D

09-22-2003, 11:45 AM
i have to wait for one more month for those altums, Paul is still QTing them
You won't be disappointed ;)

korbi_doc
09-22-2003, 02:37 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi TnT, sorry 'bout your losses, hope everything is getting better. If you do get another tank, make it a 29g so you can use it later for breeders, or a QT tank. My 2 adult discus did not feel good or act right in the 20g even tho it was a long20. possibly they need more height? Whatever a 29 would be better I think, JMHO Dottie

Jeff
09-22-2003, 02:50 PM
The 29 is good, or a 40. Either is great for grow out. It just depends on your budget and space. I use 60s.

chinoz
09-22-2003, 04:23 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi TnT, sorry 'bout your losses, hope everything is getting better. If you do get another tank, make it a 29g so you can use it later for breeders, or a QT tank. My 2 adult discus did not feel good or act right in the 20g even tho it was a long20. possibly they need more height? Whatever a 29 would be better I think, JMHO Dottie

Thanks Dottie ;D

yeah i lost most of my big discus.. :'( :'( :'( :'(, i love them so much...sigh..what can i do huh? anyways, the rest are doing fine now. I just hope Randy's fish make it through.

CliffsDiscus
09-23-2003, 04:13 PM
The adults might have diseases that the smaller (1") Discus
can't tolerate, especially if you got your Discus from different
people. You can end up with nothing.

Cliff

09-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Quarantine! Quarantine! and Quarantine!!!!!
To grow healthy fry. I prefer to keep them togeher at the same size in a small tank. Separate the slow growers once a week and put them into a separate tank. They will catch up with the larger group. Feed a lot and let them pick at the bottom for 30 min. They will grow more evenly with small pieces scatter all around the tank. Everyone will get their fill. Do a large W/C after that and leave them till the next feeding. Small tank make 100% W/C much easier and they are free to pollute the water. I can get by with 2 feedings on weekdays and more on the weekend.
Jimmy.

chinoz
09-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Quarantine! Quarantine! and Quarantine!!!!!
To grow healthy fry. I prefer to keep them togeher at the same size in a small tank. Separate the slow growers once a week and put them into a separate tank. They will catch up with the larger group. Feed a lot and let them pick at the bottom for 30 min. They will grow more evenly with small pieces scatter all around the tank. Everyone will get their fill. Do a large W/C after that and leave them till the next feeding. Small tank make 100% W/C much easier and they are free to pollute the water. I can get by with 2 feedings on weekdays and more on the weekend.
Jimmy.

Thank you for your advice Jimmy. Im going to get a 30 gal tank and set this up for the two adults and im putting my frys in the 55gal. this should be ok for a while.

Thanh.