PDA

View Full Version : where to buy beef heart at Toronto

bobcat
09-23-2003, 12:51 AM
Hi,
Everybody says Beefheart is the best food for Discus, But where can you get them. Supermarket?
bob cat

Barb Newell
09-23-2003, 01:17 AM
Fortinos usually carries them.

Barb

09-23-2003, 10:45 AM
I got them from Dominion. It cost a $1.00 more per kilo. compared to other places. They are cleaned and the butcher usually trim all fat and the arteries. Leave only the meaty portion. It's well worth the extra dollar. Mainly because of the meat. That's their logo. A&P and Price Choper, Highland Farm also carry them. Any butcher shop in Toronto can order them for you. It takes a week or their next delivery from the slaughter house.
Jimmy.

dgmckay
09-26-2003, 09:19 PM
If you buy it from the grocery store, you can chop it up in to regular feeding portions and freeze it. Then, about 10 minutes before feeding time you just take out a cube of frozen food and sit it on a plate to let it defrost.

You can also buy pre-made chunks of beefheart and other frozen fish goodies from a decent pet store. I'm in Ottawa and I've bought frozen fish food from Big Al's, which is a big fish superstore. They have several locations around the Toronto area too. Check out their web site for locations here:

http://www.aquariumservices.com/store.html

Along with beef heart, they carry something called Discus Delight - which is supposed to be beefheart, along with vitamins and minerals appropriate for the fish. My discus will eat just about anything (even flake food that goes in for the tetras) but they like the discus delight, beef heart and especially blood worms (which you can also buy frozen).

Big Al's is kind of pricey though, so you might be able to find a fish store that sells it cheaper. And obviously, making and freezing it yourself will always be cheaper than buying prepared foods from a fish store.

Regards,

Dave.

mench
09-27-2003, 08:48 AM
Just a thought for all you "Great white North" guys who want beefheart.Maybe you can get together with other discus nuts in your area and place an order to Fish King in Chicago for his Discus diet around $5.25 USD per lb.He also has lots of other frozen foods.
I will look for his phone number and post it later.

Mench