PDA

View Full Version : Not Discus ... but VERY Interesting

JeffreyRichard
09-24-2003, 11:02 AM
I was visiting a small pet shop in Chinatown in Boston yesterday, and came across a bizzar and beautiful Giant Gourami (Osphronemus goramy) that I've never seen or heard of before.

There were four individuals that were red blotched ... fire engine red over a pearly white body. They looked like the Red Dragon Asian Arawana (sp?).

Has anyone seen or heard of these fish. Perhaps one of our Oriental Discus keepers ... anything going on in the Far East with this varient of the Giant Gourami? Could this be a newly discovered wild variant?

Thanks

Teitelbaum
09-24-2003, 11:16 AM
I was told they were Surgically injected dye initiated by some Breeders several years ago. Some of the Leopard discus spots were done that way. Can't confirm it.
Earl

henryD
09-24-2003, 11:29 AM
Jeff,

I wish I had knew you would be in the area we could have arrange to meet up. I visit that shop everytime I am out there. That type of fish has been around for awhile. I don't think it is from new wilds but just some selective breeding. I know that people are buying them because of the nice red dots that shows up. People are buying it as fung shui fish. Seem some adults and they are pretty nice fish.

The fish store itself is pretty poor. Their discus looks pathetic. Wished there was better sellections. There is 2 store in the area that have better fish.

Henry

JeffreyRichard
09-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi Henry ... I worked in Boston for 17 years, now I'm in Quincy ... my collegues and I were just going to lunch in Chinatown on our way to a meeting.

If you are familiar with Chinatown, I heard there are shops/markets that have live turtles (the Diamondback Terrapin, presumably for soup). Are you aware of any places that you've seen that have these turtles? I'm looking for a pair to breed ...

henryD
09-24-2003, 12:49 PM
yes they get them on occasion. really you have to check the grocery stores. Some of the bigger store have moved out of chinatown but still within walking distant. I can keep my eyes open and let you know. So is your setup now in Quincy? I don't live too far from there and stop by in Braintree all the time to visit a friend. We should meet up sometime.

Henry

EIHAB83
09-24-2003, 12:50 PM
Yes I have seen one here in the UK, huge Gurami about
20"+ his colour is between white and pink and costs £150

JeffreyRichard
09-24-2003, 01:09 PM
That's a snapping turtle they use for soap. (Dragon turtoise) Definately not Diamondback. They treat them like God who will bring good fortune to their business. Too expansive for soap.
Jimmy.

Soup, not soap ... and Diamondbacks are still used for soup. They can be legally harvested in Connecticuit and New Jersey (I believe ...). They are endangered in MA, and NOT supposed to be sold or used in soup ...

Henry, I work in Quincy (my 9-5 job) but live in RI ... my fishroom is in my house. I do NOT do fish as a living ...

henryD
09-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Ah. That is quite a drive. I have seen 3 types of turtle for sell. I will take a picture when I see them.

JeffreyRichard
09-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Ah. That is quite a drive. ...

That, my friend, is quite an understatement!!! :'( :'( :'(