PDA

View Full Version : The Canadian Connection

Pages : [1] 2

ronrca
09-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Ok, ok! Its time for the Canadian Connection! Well actually, Im a little jealous that the aussies are having so much fun so I thought why not start a corner of our own (Smokey actually put a buzz in my ear! Thanks). This way new folks can quickly find 'friends' in the same country. ;D

What do you guys think?

Btw, Jack Frost visited my place this morning! Pretty cold! Soon I will be battling the winter miseries. >:(

For those that dont know me, Im Ron! I live in Wetaskiwin, Alberta (which is an hour south of Edmonton). I work in Edmonton therefore commute everyday which is kind of a drag but Ive gotten use to it after doing it for 8 years now! Housing is much cheaper in Wetaskiwin and at the time when we bought our house, we could not afford moving to Edmonton anyways. I grew up in Wetaskiwin anyways and have gotten use to small communites. Even though I would love to live in Edmonton, I just can not see myself spending another 30-40 grand for a similar house in Edmonton (plus interest yet). We have a nice house that we are fixing up so if we were to move now, we'd probably lose more than we gain.

Well, nuff of me! Lets hear from fellow Canadians that are preparing for winter. ;)

Smokey
09-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Ahhhhh, Thanks Ron. There are enough fellow canadains to keep this busy.

So, how are the tanks doing ron? How many are running and full of discus.

My tanks - 4 / 85 liter units on a system .. are full, too. Actually , starting to get crowed. the babies have grown too big for thier tank. So I will have to set up a 160 Liter for them.

Since I am in the middle of a move , this is a bit of a situation.

Moving to different water , also. So , I have to be a bit careful.
The plus side ... A DEDICATED DISCUS ROOM ...YAHOOOOO!!!!

Been three years since I had a dedicated fish room , .,
This one will be bigger and better. # 8, it will be.
Lots of hot water heating; access to water lines; access to drain lines; solid concrete floor; what more could a discus fanatic need. ??

Smokey

jules
09-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Hi, I am in Ontario and no frost yet...unfortunately that means the grass is still growing so I have to cut 3/4 acre of it. I decided to start up the 55 gallon tank as a cure for Jack Frost who spends quite a while here in Ottawa...I am a Perennial Gardener and Swimmer so winter is a rather quiet time; however I do cross country ski.

I am keeping 6 Discus and a few others in a Planted Community Tank and do enjoy it very much.
I don't know much about my underwater gardening yet...but I know someone here does ;)

Smokey
09-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Howdy Jules; good to hear from you.

Ahhh, great idea -- a 55 for the winter blues. Only in Canada, eh!

Heck, I have had 4 inches of snow already. Damm stuff, now I cannot cut the lawns. hehehehehehehee.lol.....

Mind you, I have a bunch of 50 square foot sheets of 6 mil glass, sittting under the snow; the cutting table is snowed in.

If all goes well, I think, I would like to build at least 6 - 160 liter tanks.

I need more tanks/more / more!! I just purchased 8 discus from glassart.

Jules, what type of discus do you have?
Jules, what part of "Ontario" are you in??

Also; this site is for keeping up with with one anothers discus population. A chance to trade and receive fresh stock. RIGHT RON !!

Smokey

jules
09-25-2003, 11:36 AM
I am in the Capital.
I have 1 Cobalt, 2 Turquoise, 2 Pigeon and a Blue Diamond. Out of curiousity what exactly are the characteristics of a Diamond besides its' shape of course?

Smokey
09-25-2003, 12:06 PM
Good question, jules. My first thought : is their intenst blue color!

However, I have a feeling the their maybe two different types of blue diamond strains. [??] NOT SURE.

Hmmm, you know what; I am going to post the question and see what shows up.

Smokey

ping
09-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Hi guys,

The world is small. I am in Canada now. :bounce2: ;D ;D
Just visiting and saying hi. :wave:

Ron, great idea. :thumbsup:
Smokey, i have received your message. Thanks. I will use email next time. :)

Regards,
Ronny

ronrca
09-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Whoa! Talk about an explosion of activity since a couple of hours ago! Cool! ;D

Well, my mini rack is working very well. I did have a leak on one of my top shelve tanks but just a small one. Fortunately, no discus in that yet so I could shut off the water supply, drain it, dry it and silicone it. I filled it up this morning. At the moment, I have 5 tanks on the rack with 1 empty and 11 discus (10 red turqs and 1 golden dragons) in the other 4 and 1 30G tank with 3 golden dragon discus. The oldest is probably reaching year and a half so breeding may start happening soon especailly once I get the RO setup. I also managed to buy some adults from Ken in Calgary which I will be picking up sometime in October (thanks a million Ken). ;)

Future plans? Well, in April/May I will have a dedicated fishroom in the basement (right now my fishroom is in the spare bedroom upstairs because we are renting the basement). Therefore the tank space will at least double. We are changing windows this weekend and my living room window is huge (119"x58") so I can hopefully get enough tanks out of it. Im actually kind of excited and cant wait to start. Once I get the systems up and running, Im planning on setting up more or less an automatic wc system (solenoid valves, float valves, switchs, timers, etc, etc) controlled by a PLC.

My dream is to eventually acquire excellant solid colored discus, breed them and distribute them. Why solid colored? My wife likes them the best so why not tempt her into the discus world somehow! ;D Well, I also like solid colored discus. :D

A chance to trade and receive fresh stockExactly! One of my goals is to offer excellant quality discus to the locals instead of having to import them. Potential discus hobbyists may not want to venture down the path when confronted with customs, shipping costs, etc, etc and I dont blame them either. ;)

ottawadiscus
09-25-2003, 01:04 PM
Hi guys,

As my id says I'm from nation capital. It's good a idea to meet the other discus breeders in town.

Loyed

Smokey
09-25-2003, 01:16 PM
See, Us Canuks were just waiting for our own little corner.

One day , Ron, I will be up your way, I will have to drop in and see how your handwork went. The teacher checking out his student. I am glad every thing has worked out so well.
Hmm, only one leaker, great. I remeber some of my first tirals - always a pinhole some where. !!
Any idea what may have caused the leak ??

Jules has brought up an interesting question; What is the difference in blue diamonds. IS there - two different "types"??

Smokey

Smokey
09-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Loyed: do you mean Edmonton??

Smokey lol.

09-25-2003, 01:30 PM
A true Blue diamond has no bars and no yellow at the tip of the dorsal fin. They breed true 100% BD. Some people sell a solid blue which has bars when they were juveniles as Blue Diamond. They has been crossed with other fish. The majority of the fry has bars and red eyes. A true BD do not have red eyes. It suppose to be clear or blue???. Only at breeding time when they turn orange.
There is an Angel Diamond which has a finner scales with a powder blue appearance which has been crossed with other fish. They do not get 100% BD fry. Some has PB fry.
Jimmy.

jules
09-25-2003, 02:03 PM
My Blue Diamond definitely has red eyes and it is not breeding time...oh well. Thanks for the info JimmyL.

Ron - can you post a pic of the Golden Dragon? thx

ronrca
09-25-2003, 05:04 PM
Smokey,
Not exactly sure about the leak why it started leaking. Just a small little hole that was very hard to find. The hole was actually around the plexi/glass joint so Im wondering that perhaps I forced the fits a tad too much thus start a small leak. ??? No big deal though. Come on over anytime. Just let us know a couple days in advance so I can clean the spare bedroom. LOL!

Jules,
I dont have any pics yet but hope to take some soon!
The parents look like this though:

09-25-2003, 05:08 PM
J: Most BD has red eyes between 1"- 3" and slowly fade away into clear 0r yellow eyes. Only turn red during spawning and slowly fade away when carrying fry on their back. How big is your BD?
R: Your picture is taking up a whole page. Re-size it so taht my 12" monitor can read the whole thing. Let me post a picture too. See how many discus can be kept in a 35 gal. tank.
Jimmy.

ronrca
09-25-2003, 05:13 PM
LOL! Sorry Jim! The pic looks really good on my 21"! ;D

09-25-2003, 05:21 PM
I never visit this section. Never knew there are so many Aussies out there. 72 pages!!!. Probably will take the shy Canucks years to catch up.
J.

yippy
09-25-2003, 05:42 PM
Hi Smokey, well am i the first aussie to visit????? We'll have to start having some fun with you canucks.

Did i tell you smokey, that my 2 blue turqs have paired up and laid eggs???? No wrigglers first time, im moving them into their own tank on the weekend so hopefully after a few more goes they'll get it right.

i cant believe the change in the male blue turq, he was the most timid in the tank and now hes bossing everyone around, my big PB was the boss, but not anymore. Oh well, when i move the pair Pidge can be the boss again. Also, my lyretail mollies have had 2 more lots of kids, female just keeps giving birth!!! but hopefully in the near future ill have discus fry.

Kerry :D

April
09-25-2003, 07:14 PM
Kerry!! and Ping!! you guys came to canada. cool. now get over here to my house.
Jimmy.thats the second aussie thread. there was aussie aussie aussie and now aussie aussie aussie 2. the first one had 79 pages. if you ever feel the need to go downunder..just drop in for a visit. I'll see you there. lol.

yippy
09-25-2003, 07:58 PM
hey Pril,

are gonna dedicate yourself to the canadian section or are you still an canaussie????

Kerry :)

April
09-25-2003, 08:40 PM
LOL Kerry....i am "canaussie" . im like a faithful ole dog...
i thought i better pop in....seeming you guys travelled to canada. lol.

BlueTurquoise
09-25-2003, 09:37 PM
BIG HELLO to all my Tim Horton's Donuts eating Canuck friends! ;D

CanadianGuy
09-25-2003, 11:41 PM
Ahhh....Canadian Corner....this is more like it!! :thumbsup:

I'm in Ontario...just go as far south as you can without crossing the border and that's me! I've got a total of 19 discus...a few adults, but mostly juveniles...PBs, Royal Blues??, several others that I can't seem think of at this moment...I've also got several kinds of cichlids that I've been breeding...I'm up to 23 tanks!...I'm also working on rebuilding my fishroom as some of you know! :P

The place I get my fish(so far) owes me 6 discus...he's got some snakeskins?? in quarantine(they're sick) if they get over it he told me I can have my pick...are snakeskins a nice strain or should I wait for another type?

Good to finally have our own little area!! Good idea Smokey and ron!!! :idea2:

James

09-26-2003, 08:09 AM
Do you know how many Jim and James in Ontario alone. It seems like most of the discus nuts in Ontario are James or Jim. How do the Aussies know about Tim Horton donut? That's the only coffee I drink. They don't have much selection like other outlets. It's to order at drive through. small, medium and large coffee. and that's all. Some of them need a university degree to order. special cream ands sugar. Too complicated for a simple mind like me.
Jimmy.

Smokey
09-26-2003, 12:47 PM
GLAD to have every body here. So much easier to let others know what is going on , here in the GREAT WHITE NORTH !!

Jimmy, would you say this is a blue diamond[?]. It is ~ 3 months[?] old.

Smokey

ronrca
09-26-2003, 05:31 PM
Thats not your discus Smokey! It cant be! I mean you can actually see the discus! LOL! ;) ;D

yippy
09-26-2003, 06:55 PM
Well I havent got much to say this morning - im doing my duty jumping from Australia to Canada. :D

Kerry

Glenn
09-26-2003, 08:13 PM
OK just had to jump in and say hi to my fellow canadians.

Rod
09-27-2003, 06:11 AM
Hi Canada :)

Geez it's cold in here....brrrrrrrrrr, who left the door open??

Great idea Ron starting this thread, hope it works for you guys like it does for us aussies. Great way to get to know each other.

I'll drop by to say hi and make sure you guys don't get too rowdy.

Canada is on my wannado list, maybe one day!! April is always teasing me with great photos and stories about canada.

Rod

09-27-2003, 09:02 AM
Smokey: That's look like a 3 years old blue diamond with that angle shot. ;D ;D. It's hard to tell how old with no comparison of his size. I've just got some small Autums. Aggressive little bugger. The smallest one only about 1" is the most aggressive who's terrorizing the whole tank full of Angels. Even the big 4" Scalare have to stay away from him. I'll put him with the Flowerhorn to fix him up if he keeps doing that. I beleive you bred them before. Do you have any pictures to show me. It seems like no one has any success breeding them for the last few years. Those who documented were Puruvian Wild Scalare which looks very similar to Autum.
Jimmy.

AndyL
09-27-2003, 10:09 AM
So simply is gonna follow the canadian content rules eh? :D

JimmyL: It could be worse, we've had a few inches of snow already. There's frost on them there windows this morning. Winter has arrived for those of us way to freaking far north...

I envy you southerners. I miss the lack of snow until Halloween.

Andy

Smokey
09-27-2003, 12:39 PM
No, Jimmy.. that is exactly what is in my tank.
The photo is from Shorthair - [aka Devin]; he has the other 12 brothers/sisters to it. We received them July 13/03.
Ron- That is why you can see it ... he uses clear water; mine is all brown. lol.

The altums I bred, back in 1996 were wilds. I had 8 of them, direct from the Amazon. One of our club members had gone on an expidition .. and brough back boxes of really nice fish.

The altums ... were blood thirsty! I would watch them fight ... two would face each other ... rush towards and at the last second twist their body and try an "SLASH" the other angel with their pelvic fins. Very effective. The loser would end up with body cuts ... some even drew blood.

Breeding was in very soft acidic water, lots of plants and black slate rocks. A 100 gallon tank. And purely by luck!

the fry were just as aggressive as the parents. Too aggressive for most hobbiests. The lfs - would not buy them [or only wanted to pay $ . 75 cents. each; delievered!!

Since, at the time, there was not a good market for them, I traded them off for equipment and african's ... which was the rage at the time.

Smokey

Barb Newell
09-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Good idea :thumbsup: Canadian corner. I wondered where you guys were hiding.

Barb :)

Smokey
09-28-2003, 12:55 AM
Barb ... were never hiding: just hanging out.

smokey

09-28-2003, 07:59 AM
Hi Barb: Another Tim Horton worshipper. How's the green fry? We have to work hard to beat the Aussies. Only 78 pages times 2 to catch up. Correction .......subtract 3 pages.

Smokey: Sounds like the Autum is not a good tankmate to keep with discus. Maybe I shouldn't spend too much time on them. I just need the challenge and document the spawning of the Autum and then let the flowerhorn finish them off. Just for the fun of it. Who is Shorthair? Devin Galitis? Copperhead? The pic. looks like a very good quality BD if they are not color fed.
Jimmy.

Barb Newell
09-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Hi Jimmy, I'm good! Green fry doing great! Tim Hortons --- can't go a day without one large hot coffee!!!!!

I'm setting up another 65 gal tank today to move some of those fish I got from you into. They are getting huge! Some nice blue fish in there.

Barb :)

darcy
09-28-2003, 06:41 PM
I AM CANADIAN!!!!! Where's the beer? No jimmy Shorthair is Devin and copperhead is Davis!! One lives in TO and the other lives in Southern Alberta. Close but not that close lol!!!!

Darcy

shorthair
09-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Ok I guess its time I pop in and say hi to JimmyL and all my fellow canadians eh!!!

It is getting cold in the mornings but that only means hunting season is here and those who know me know I live to hunt ;D ;)

Devin

09-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Copperhead Davis is also Devin in his own native language. He also has shorthair. Very clean cut. Nice fellow too. Hello shorthair. I can't have shorthair. I need the hair to cover up all the battle scars on my skull and forehead. Used to be a good Judo and Martial Art fighter in competition. Spilled blood and broken bones every time. Silly teenages. Now I'm paying for it. Tennis elbow almost make me quit having discus.
Jimmy.

09-28-2003, 10:06 PM
Hi,

Altums are difficult to spawn and only few people have witnessed the event.

No one has been able to raise the wrigglers- something is

lacking in our water perhaps.

alex

shorthair
09-28-2003, 11:52 PM
Actually Jimmy, my name is referring to the dogs I raise which are German Shorthaired Pointers, but I do have short hair also ;)

Devin

yippy
09-29-2003, 01:57 AM
Just popped in to say hello to all the canucks, being a good globe trotting girl. Smoeky, you should come on chat tonight.

Kerry 8)

yippy
09-29-2003, 02:34 AM
Hey Smokey, i was just over at simplycichlids and theres a new member over called the CanadianGuy. I gave him the thread for here. he may already be a member here ??? but anyway, im just doing my duties.

Geez, im busy, hopping from Oz to Canada and from cichlids.com to discus.com

Kerry :D

ronrca
09-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Cool! The Canadian content is growing! LOL!

Well, this last weekend my dad and I replaced all the windows on the main floor. Our home is an older house therefore the windows were really terrible. Basicly, 2x single pane slider metal frame windows. Wow! What a difference the new windows make. The reason though that Im really excited is because Im planning on using the huge living room window to make tanks. So far so good. The window was not crack.......yet! Now the work begins taking the fir wood frame apart and separating the sealed window. I dont really know how thick the glass is yet but Im hoping at least 5mm if not 6 or 8mm! The other windows are around 3mm I believe so I may use them to make tank lids.

Its getting colder in the morning which is making me grumpier however it is good news on the other hand. Less work outside = more time inside for fish! LOL! ;D

Just wanted to say Hello! Hope everyone had a good weekend!

CanadianGuy
09-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks, Kerry

I've been here for a about a month now...I've only posted at the other site a few times!

James

ronrca
09-29-2003, 03:26 PM
O Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy! That would be totally awesome. I need some excellant breeding stock come begin or spring of '04. Keep us updated and pics are always good! Im particularly interested in the solids! ;)
Thanks for sharing! ;D

ping
09-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Hi guys,

Stopping by to see how you guys going. :)
Wow, you guys really catching up with Aussie. :thumbsup:

Jimmy, excellent ideas. I wish that someone will do it in Australia too. It's so hard to get the nice discus here. Government regulations. :-\ :'(

Hope to see the pictures soon. :)

Regards,
Ronny

Glenn
09-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Jimmy those fish sound like they are comming from orient/ ryan.

09-30-2003, 01:16 AM
Great idea starting the Canadian thread Ron :thumbsup:

Smokey, how you been keeping? havent heard from you since just after the fires, how did things end up on your end?

good seeing everybody in our own little corner to keep track

Canadian, JD, and an extra large black every morning

April
09-30-2003, 01:24 AM
hi mr. wolfe. how goes it. got any new fishies yet?

yippy
09-30-2003, 02:09 AM
Smokey, have you dumped us aussie now you have your own "Connection"?????? ???

Kerry :P

09-30-2003, 02:39 AM
Soon April, very soon ;D

gotta call cary in the morning, see what he's got. hoping he's got some fry coming available sometime soon, and ill be trying for those as soon as he's ready to send them out.

you get your water sorted out?

- Josh

09-30-2003, 08:02 AM
They're not from Orient. Is Orient from Penang too? That breeder or breeders do not sell through e-mail or internet. Only sell with reference from another customers only. This will avoid a lot of problems from an inexperienced hobyyist. It's not Yang. Just don't want to say it in a public forum since they only sell exclusively.
Jimmy

ping
09-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Hi Jimmy,

Orient is from Penang.

Regards,
Ronny

ronrca
09-30-2003, 10:29 AM
Hey Josh! How are things going? How is your wife? DO you have her hooked yet? LOL! How are the plans coming for the new house and fish room?

Good to hear from you again! Let me know what Cary has available. I may take a couple here soon! ;)

Sean
09-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Hello, as it says on the side my name is Sean. I live in Windsor and have had discus for about a 18 months now.

would really enjoy getting some response from some of the people in Windsor. Didn't realize we had so many. Please drop me an instant message.

Great thread.

Sean.

09-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Hey Ron

Wife is doing great, adjusting to her Canadian acclimation well ;D and she got the itch awhile ago, every couple days i hear..."when are we getting more discus?", "theres a clear spot on that rock we need more coral", "the school of rummy noses looks too small, a few more would be good". she's even yellin when i get behind on wiping down the tank glass :-X

im gonna have to put locks on all the doors so she cant run back home after winter sets in. She's only been here for a week during winter in previous years, so this is gonna be her first full winter in edmonton. i think im the second most northern guy on this board aside from AndyL. course your only an hour south :)

the house has been one delay after another. accident with a gas main killed one of the workers while they were putting in services, poor guy left behind three kids. investigation into it shut down the development for 4 months. everythings coming back together, lot and plan for the house were registered today, should have a hole in the ground in the next couple days, completion isnt looking good until about febuary though. just means more time here to get some more fish and grow them a bit before they get to feel alberta in febuary. im really itching for that fish room, but all good things to those who wait right ::)

i slept in this morning and had to run around a bit, wanted to have a quick peek in here so soon as im done this im gonna try cary, ill let ya know what he's got.

take it easy

Josh

09-30-2003, 03:17 PM
Ron, just talked with cary, all fish are 1", ready to go out next week

Blue Whites
High Body Blue Diamonds
Blue snake skins
Red snake skins
Pigeon Leopard snake skins
white butterflies
red royal blues
red whites

unless anybody wants to come in and needs more time, ill have cary send them out soon as he can.

Edit: forgot blue diamonds were on the list too

ronrca
09-30-2003, 05:19 PM
Hey Josh! Are you building a house in The Hamptons area? Just curious!

Sounds like your wife is doing really good. Either you have her trained already or the other way around! LOL! Good to hear from you! ;)

09-30-2003, 05:34 PM
the place is called "Hudson Lake" or "hudson point" something like that, i gotta go out that way tonight and take some pictures and do a virtual tour of some showhomes we listed, now that you asked its buggin me i cant remember.

its just behind the home depot on 137ave and 132st. we've had a ton of new shops pop up there in the last year, everythings in walking distance including the home depot for those "emergencygottadoitnowbeforeiforgetorbeforethewife getshome" ideas.

ronrca
09-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Which lot?

09-30-2003, 07:55 PM
not that area...walkout lot backing onto the dry pond, # 7

Edit, its Hudson Park

you got a hand in anything happening out that way Ron?

ronrca
10-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Whats the address? Is it closer to Cumberland Road? How many houses are already there?

10-01-2003, 12:58 PM
its just on the other side of where cumberland runs outta pavement. we dont have an official address yes, city has been a pain about a few things they wont allow.

area is a big dustbowl at the moment, they just laid down sidewalks a couple weeks ago, lots are staked out, we're probably going to be one of, if not the first homes put up there, completion is lookin like somewhere in february.

sooooooo, who wants to help move in feb ;D beer and pizza to keep you warm

now that we hijacked this thread, how's everybody else doing?

Smokey
10-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Howdey all. I just got back up and running. My move is half done.
Got the telephone and internet running.

The discus are still in my old house. No time to move them.

Moving people were a day late. Starter on the van stopped working. AND finially, when I went to make up the discus water - the plumbers turned off the water for two hours.

Yup, sit back, drink a beer, eat pizza, and chill.

Hoping to get a load tonight. The 100 gallon is still filling with water.

Good to hear from you Josh. Sounds like you got your hands full, also.

Wow, in less than a couple of days, we have united the Canadians.

Good to see the Aussie's here, too.

Kerry ... sorry , I have been off line for a couple of days ... and very busy the rest. My NEW fish room looks like a disaster area. Three steel stand, piled high with boxes of equipment. Tanks laying in the corners .... and stuff every where.

I am setting up a 100 gallon tank, as I type. 3/4 full now. Full enough ... time to go and pick up some discus. Hopefully it is not below zero. Last night it was -7C.

Later

Smokey.

Smokey
10-02-2003, 03:38 AM
Howdy ya'll; Well, I just got in and transfered all the discus.

What a trip - It is very cold outside; the van needed a fuse for the tail-lights. Pulled in for fuel; explaned I can not shut the van down -- It may not be able to be started! O.K. no problem. then the RCMP pulled in . Hey, how ya doing. Fine - You - no problems. OK..... See ya.

Well two hours later - ON MY RETERN TRIP - She pulled me over. { Pay attention shorthair}... What do you have in the back of the van --- [ remembering, the little episode shorthair had in Calgary] , I immediately said "DISCUS". WELL - after I regained conciousions[ hahahaha]-

She, the RCMP newbie in the vally - from Quebec; thought I was being a shorthair!!!
I open the boxes - and with her high powered flashlight - she inspected the boxes.Good thing I had paid all the import taxes!!! [ that is for Devin].

When I got home at - 1:00am - I installed two bio-towers; all the plants; and then I just dumped the fish into the 100 G. tank. Water and all.

The pH is sitting at 6.6; KH is 47ppm; temp is 85.9F.

The discus have never seen so much space. I have been keeping them in seperate units - 85 Liter units. Now they have a tank that is 48 x 12 x 30 high.

The pump is a 750 gph - feeding two biio-towers [ each capacity - 26 liters] full of bacteria. Two 250 watt ebo-jager heaters.

AHH - pizza and a beer; tastes good !!1.

Smokey

ping
10-02-2003, 03:59 AM
Hi Smokey,

Good to see you back again. Good to hear that you have transferred all the discus.

I am getting my bio tower done by tomorrow. Thanks Smokey.
It was fun building that bio tower. :)
I am only running it with 800 lph pump. Hope it will work tomorrow and NO LEAKING please :P.

I have painted my new tanks. One of them, i painted at the wrong side (front glass instead of the back one) ;D. I got no place for the lid to sit on. And I also cut the wrong side of the glass for hang-on filter. ;D

What is RCMP ? Police ? Glad that she did not ask for your discus. ;D

Regards,
Ronny

ronrca
10-02-2003, 09:30 AM
Aha Josh! Now I know where! You should of told me at the end of Cumberland Road! Our contractors just finished up there about a week or two ago! We call it Cumberland Stage 20.

yippy
10-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Howdey all. I just got back up and running. My move is half done.
Got the telephone and internet running.

The discus are still in my old house. No time to move them.

Moving people were a day late. Starter on the van stopped working. AND finially, when I went to make up the discus water - the plumbers turned off the water for two hours.

Yup, sit back, drink a beer, eat pizza, and chill.

Hoping to get a load tonight. The 100 gallon is still filling with water.

Good to hear from you Josh. Sounds like you got your hands full, also.

Wow, in less than a couple of days, we have united the Canadians.

Good to see the Aussie's here, too.

Kerry ... sorry , I have been off line for a couple of days ... and very busy the rest. My NEW fish room looks like a disaster area. Three steel stand, piled high with boxes of equipment. Tanks laying in the corners .... and stuff every where.

I am setting up a 100 gallon tank, as I type. 3/4 full now. Full enough ... time to go and pick up some discus. Hopefully it is not below zero. Last night it was -7C.

Later

Smokey.

smokey, wots load mean???? ???
Kerry

shorthair
10-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Hey Smokey, would it have been worth while getting strip searched by this female officer??? ;) ;D She wasn't like the manshe I had at customs was she?

This new fish room of yours, will the walls be painted white? This way it will brighten up the room a bit since your flashlights aren't all that bright ;)

Devin

ronrca
10-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Thats if he puts any light in the room at all! I think he's probably gotten so use to looking into dark, murky tanks already, he doesnt mind lights! ;D ;)

Mykiss
10-04-2003, 04:05 AM
Well, here's another post from a Canuck!
Only been keeping discus for about a year eh! But I'm really digg'n it you kno. Only have about 8 discus, bunch of community fishes and 8 tanks. Cheers
PT

bobcat
10-05-2003, 01:10 AM
hi all,
I am canadian and do't drink Froster beer. Live in Toronto and new to Discus for a week. Nice to meet my fellow country ladies/men.
Vincent

Smokey
10-05-2003, 11:55 PM
OK I am back one line. Had a few problems. Murphy struck twice !!!\

Yippy - a load = a load; as in full !
Ron .. please be nice , boy. some day you may be buying my discus... as long as I can get some of your fry.

shorthair = I did notice: when the she-male asked you to follow her into the back room - you looked scared ... however: fifteen minutes later - you surfaced ; with a "BIG" smile on your face and the she-male let you go !!!!!

HMMMMMMMMMM.

Smokey
10-06-2003, 12:10 AM
Oh, one more thing .. has anybody every heard the saying: ... AND Sell the puppies!!!
I HAVE VISITED DEVIN'S WORK PLACE. Nice securtaries, others to do his bidding, fresh coffee, etc.....

He does not raise dogs; / he breeds them.

Gotcha, buddy!

What a sweat job. !!!!!!!!

Almost as good as ronca's .
[ man breasts ... quote].

annomaous[ I like to keep on being friends]. haha lmason the carpet.

Smokey

all in good humor, right fellows ????

Yippy - I still think you is a nice girl. and I still respect you !

Smokey

shorthair
10-06-2003, 11:32 AM
HAHAHAHA :o ::)

jules
10-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Question for all fellow Canadian Discus Lovers:

where do you buy your Discus?

thx

p.s. very disappointed with the majority of LFS :-[

AndyL
10-06-2003, 09:49 PM
From darcy :D

I'd write more - but I have to go see a truck about a door...

Andy

Smokey
10-07-2003, 05:17 AM
Jules; My first batch I had flow in from Australia. The next batch were flown in from Detroit. And I have 8 sitting in Calgary, waiting to be picked up, from Ken, aka glassart

Bottom line, private breeders.
AKA - Top line, top quality breeders.
In Canada, there a number of top quality breeders. Mostly out east, at the moment.
Out here, in the west - few and far between. This is slowly changing. Some very dedicated persons have set up . Now time is the ingredient.

The discus hobby is one of up and downs. Small population; large distances; to name a few.

Look around, read the pages on simplydiscus. there are some very accomplished persons with discus available.
MPO.

Smokey

ronrca
10-07-2003, 10:04 AM
What Smokey said! ;)

You really have to look around to find good breeders. Most are from what I call the 'old school' who do not deal with the public like Cary does but rather sell exclusively to the lfs and friends. Simplydiscus however is changing that by putting in contact with breeders that are located a little further away. Ontario has quite a few excellant breeders unfortunately most do not ship! :( Here in the west, it is slowly changing. There are a few of us that are getting breeding stock together and in the future hopefully will also have excellant stock! :D ;)

My first discus came from a breeder in Red Deer, Alberta. Unfortunately, he is into SAfrican cichlids instead now. My second shipment came from Toronto (I was lucky with shipping on that one). My third from Calgary (aka Ken). And my fourth is also waiting in Calgary for me to pickup on the 19th of October. The next ones? Who knows? Where ever I can my hands on some (depending on tank space and funds of course). ;) ;D

Smokey
10-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Hmmm, the 19th, you say.. I am having trouble getting away. I have had to postpone picking up the discus, from Ken. now 3 times.

Ken, is slowly lowering the pH and introducing them to peat conditioned water. Would you like yours conditioned , ALSO. lol.lol.lol.lol. Flashlights are necessary!!!

tonight - the fish room will be reserected !!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

smokey

P.S. - I know I have to get to Ken's "FIRST" ! HEHEHEHEHEHEH

Smokey
10-07-2003, 09:13 PM
for anyone interested - this is my digital photo. and of my discus room -- not yet set up .. everything was piled into the room; I just relocated... new place.

ok here is the pic

shorthair
10-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Ok Smokey, first a few questions? When did you get a digital camera? And when will we see some pictures of the rest of your fish?

You should never have posted a picture cause now everyone is a witness that you are capable of taking pictures of your fish!!!!!!! :o ;D 8)

Smokey
10-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Yah , ok you got me...BTW then temperature has been getting cooler, up heare inthe mountanins.

Here is a pic of me dressing in the morning.

Just for you buddy....

ronrca
10-08-2003, 09:40 AM
LOL Smokey! Im not sure if thats something I want to see! :o

If I get to Ken before you do, you dont have to worry about picking up any fish! ;D

yippy
10-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Well, gonna have to leave it to the expert.

Smokey, youre a BD person, my BD has no bars and is of powdery blue appearance with RED eyes. is this a bd. Her name is Cherub.

I also have a solid blue, which is has a more vivid shade of blue and when stressed, has bars, so i dont presume he/she is a bd. let me know if this is a bd - and could i renew my canadian visa - not allowed in after this trip.

Ta, Kerry :P

yippy
10-08-2003, 11:13 AM
hey Smoke, that last pic you posted is Jonathan Coleman - aussie comedian. He has lost heaps of weight since that pic.

Now you know why our aussie comics arent too successful - except for the croc hunter.

10-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Just drop in and say Hello. has been busy for the last few days fixing the fishroom. Yippy, Who cares about bar or no bar? That fish is nice and beautiful. sometimes I like the cobalt better than the BD. They have red eyes and the bars disappear as they grow up. You can't tell which is which when they are happy. I prefer the cobalt/PB cross with a white/powder blue color that the BD don't have. Do you have your Canadian Visa expired. Smokey will give you one. By the way, Smokey has a nice fishroom. That's the one I always want. Nicely decorated with lots of hiding places.
Jimmy.

ronrca
10-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Smokey has a nice fishroom. That's the one I always want. Nicely decorated with lots of hiding places. ROFLOL! ;D

yippy
10-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Nice fish room Smoke,

looks like my bathroom. :o

please post fish pics (especially those BDs) now that youre a camera man.

Jimmy, thanx for complimenting my BD 'Cherub" - shes such a confident little gal. when, if, smokey gives me my cannuck visa back, ??? ill post some pics of my crown tail bettas- theyre gorge. (aussie for gorgeous).

kerry

ronrca
10-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Ok Ken, Smokey! Just booked the 17/18th of October at the Greenwood Inn in Calgary!

You know wants kind of ironic? We were looking at possibly going to a bed and breakfast to save money. I could not find a bnb for under $70. The Greenwood has a special on for $89/night Friday and Saturday nights. Hmmm! ;)

Sean
10-08-2003, 10:24 PM
I'm flying into Calgary on the 18th, and spending 2 days in Banff. Any suggestions, before moving on to Vancouver?

Thanks,

Sean.

jules
10-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Love that fish room Smokey!! Looks like my house before the kids go to bed.

Is that a girdle you are wearing?

Smokey
10-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Getting up to Ken's has been a time problem.. NO TIME TO TRAVEL?!!!
I am planning now for the 13 to the 15th. by this time I should have a few tanks set up and the Discus room running [ fingers crossed].
You just stay away from my 8 discus, buddy !!! You have your hands full enough..

BTW - two of my [ Rod L.] RED Diamonds paired up and laid about a hundred beautiful golden eggs, yesterday. Now I know I have ONE CONFERMED FEMALE RED DIAMOND ... Y ahoooooo.

since they were stuffed into a 100 gallon tank, with 13 other discus, a black ghost, a tire track eel, and 1/2 dozen golden pearl ange fish; After 2 days the male lost interest - the female could not protect the eggs - from the tire track eel ; all the eggs were eaten. I do mind, though. they are only 16 months old now ... still a bit young.

She ia about 5" long body length. The male is about 6" body length.

Smokey
ps. hey , what can i say first time using a digital camera. the darkness is from the water. lol...

Smokey
10-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Yippy I will be glad toget you a canadain pass port.
All we have to is get married .!!! :o :o :o :o ;D ;D O.K.....

Smokey

Beautiful discus, btw.

Ohhh, yah Here is a shot of the 100 gallon unit; with everything stuffed into it ;) ;) ;) ;D

shorthair
10-09-2003, 02:45 PM
That looks like one hell of a coffee pot you have there Smokey!!!! :o :P

Ooohhh I forgot it's peat water!!! ;)

You knew I was going to bug you about that didn't you?

Smokey put up a pic of the 1,000,000 candle spot light you use to see them with.

yippy
10-09-2003, 10:26 PM
That red diamond looks nice - even tho the pics a bit dark. Thanks for giving me my cannuck visa Smoke.

ronrca
10-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Everyone have a great Thanksgiving Weekend! O, and remember, be thankful! ;)

Dont forget to order your T-shirts and undies! ;D

Smokey
10-10-2003, 10:42 PM
There is no way I am going to put a turkey in "my" pants .....

Glenn
10-10-2003, 11:35 PM
LOL smokey

jules
10-11-2003, 07:19 AM
Morning folks...I know some of you are out in the beautiful provincial parks. I need your opinion - Is this a wolf or coyote? Sorry it was 6:30 am and the sun was rising so the pic is bad. thanks.........

Smokey
10-11-2003, 08:23 AM
Jules - Not sure - did you hear it whistle ??

smokey

jules
10-11-2003, 08:29 AM
pic 2 and I think he is whistling. He is checking out our Dogs in the Dog Run. I definitely hear alot of yelping in the bush.

shorthair
10-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Yelping or yipping.....Definitely Coyotes!!!

I just cant believe you were able to get 2 pictures of this guy.....If it was me I think the gun would have been in the way of the camera and would have made the second picture impossible!!!! :-X :o ;D ;D

Did I say that?

All you Canucks have a great Thanksgiving and don't eat to much unless you have epsom salt on hand for bloating!! ;)

Devon

jules
10-11-2003, 12:12 PM
How big do these buggers get? We have a 75 lb dog in our Dog Run and this guy was atleast that size.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING - CANADA!!!!

(we will try not to overeat that Bird and Ham, but we do have the salts just in case)

AndyL
10-11-2003, 01:46 PM
How big do these buggers get?

LOL - don't ask :) Have you ever met a sheep dog? There's a reason Komodores are the size they are!

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

Andy

10-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Looks like a coyote...and if they were yipping and whining...they were coyotes. They arent really as big as they look either...they're all hair. They're also famous for "hunting" dogs.

Tony
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/e/camper.gif

April
10-11-2003, 10:43 PM
that there is a coyote. tail carried hanging. we have them on every street in vancouver. they devour all my customers.....
but the skunks send us customers. sprayed dogs.
komodores suck. lol. coming from a dog groomer.

Smokey
10-12-2003, 01:29 AM
that is a coyote .. the side view confirms it. the average about 35 to 45 pounds. Mostely hair and fleas.

Chicken thieves, they are.

Could be a female, out hunting for food./ for her young pups. sunrise - gophers, grouse, etc.

Devin, a 125 grain siliver tip, necked for a 7mm magnum ... powdered for 5200 fps... 325 yards .... not a problem!

OH yes, I remember. you shoot B.B's.

BTW, congradulations on your northern hunt. Nice caribo's.
{for a flatlander] hehehehhehe.....

Up here in the mountains, ya need a good full size Chevy 4 x 4,
for a moose. Mind you , a Dodge is acceptal for deer.

Elk, well, a good tall grill gaurd - is a must, on the front of a F350!!!!!

Mini-vans - heck, the have trouble with the fools hen's.

Mountain sheep - tough buggers, usually a Ken'y is the best choice.

Black bear, grizzly, woverine ... drive around e'm !
Not worth the insurance paper work. and trying to explaing --- How the animal - picked itself up, shook himself off, and then proceeded to tear your vechicle apart.

Yup, only in the Canadian Rocky mountains....

Smokey

AndyL
10-13-2003, 01:40 AM
Up here in the mountains, ya need a good full size Chevy 4 x 4,
for a moose. Mind you , a Dodge is acceptal for deer.

You plan to bag mooses with a chev 4x4? Do you want me to post pictures of remenants of Kenworths after runins with a moose? The moose are coming out of the woods out here in huge numbers, there have been plenty of run-ins in this neck of the woods...

The only vehicle in which I would choose to hit a moose - would be a 1952 Mack. At least with those theres enough steel and iron between you and the antlers :)

Andy

Smokey
10-13-2003, 03:11 AM
AndyL; good choice!

Down here abouts the wrecking yards are full of "new vechiles", that lost the right - for the hiway use.

How are the fry doing??

Smokey

AndyL
10-13-2003, 03:59 AM
Lost the majority of them after water changes (not sure why) but there's still a handfull holding on.

Andy

Smokey
10-13-2003, 12:41 PM
Sorry to hear that, Andy.

Take care of the other young'ns.

Smokey

AndyL
10-13-2003, 06:36 PM
I'm half-trying to care for them, Got some bbs brewing away. Really don't have the space for them, but I'll clean out the 10g's feeder guppies soon and move them over.

Playing with pictures today - like my new signature?

Andy

shorthair
10-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Not bad!! ;) But I want to see some fry pics!!! :fish: :fish:

Devin

Smokey
10-13-2003, 10:10 PM
Only half - tyring. I understand !

your southern buddy.

Smokey

BTW; I asked a local RCMP accciedent officer ... we had two incidients today.. about - moose vs auto.. well after he stopped laughing; ... He suggested walking !!!

smokey

Smokey
10-13-2003, 10:22 PM
Andy .. you had better send devin some pics of the fry ... I do not believe, he has ever seen new borne fry... hahahahhahahahaa.. well ot in his tanks .. YET!!!

Smokey

Well, what do u expect for a flatlander?? HeHeHeHe...

BTW - Devin, any luck on your recent hunt.. Not to much left in the south Castle; The west Castle is still active .. and the Gap is good.

Most good reports are coming from eastern B.C. hunts... Big elk, and moose. Perhaps the fires drove them westward. {??].

Fishing is down.

However, we have permanent snow on the mountains.
Every thing should be moving down into the valleys.

Good luck.

AndyL
10-13-2003, 10:42 PM
LOL - I'd love to send him a picture... Can someone send me a new camera? Mine seems to be broked most goodly! Open the shutter and nothing happens, doesn't turn on, screen wont turn on - apparently all those drops in the mud puddles while 4x4ing did do some damage!

BTW - came up with a new name for taber :) The cornhole of alberta! It's only fitting since I live in the a__hole of alberta!

Andy

darcy
10-13-2003, 10:55 PM
LMAO Andy good one!!! Taber=Cornhole!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Sorry Devin.........no I'm not.

Darcy

Smokey
10-13-2003, 11:26 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

shorthair
10-14-2003, 08:32 PM
Good one guys :P ::) I have a come back but I would probably get the boot if I said it......

Smokey, hunting has been good. Freezers are very full. Let me see now....3-Caribou, 3-Bull Elk, 2-Bull Moose, 1-Mountain Goat and Deer season hasn't even begun ;D ;D
(That is mine plus the people in my hunting party!!)

Pheasant season opens tomorrow and you can bet I have the next few days booked off!!

Devin

darcy
10-14-2003, 09:03 PM
WAIT!!! What did you do with the Hearts Devin???? Hmmmm c'mon where are they?

Darcy

Smokey
10-14-2003, 11:22 PM
Well, I will be off to Calgary, Wensday morning. time to get some more discus. Ken has been lowering the water pH/KH... parameters. The 8 discus have been on Calgary's water since they were young'ns. Now it is time for a change.

7.0 soft water, low Kh. Ken mentioned, this morning on the telephone, that the discus seemed to like the new peat water. He has added peat moss to his tanks. Thank you Ken.

OHHH . Ron; your's are still in the "clear water"!

Smokey

jules
10-15-2003, 07:01 AM
what kind of Discus are you gettin Smokey? we need pictures....

ronrca
10-15-2003, 11:33 AM
LOL Smokey! Is it just coincidence that your visiting Ken today rather than next week? LOL! ;D Afraid that your discus may not be there after the weekend? LOL!

Definitly take some pics! ;) Btw, we'll be leaving Friday afternoon to Calgary! ;)

Murphy
10-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Hi all, new Canadian to the forum. In the middle of building a new fishroom. I've been out of the Discus realm for the last few years but woo! hoo! I'm coming back!

jules
10-16-2003, 05:56 PM
welcome!! :)

EthanCote.com
10-16-2003, 06:17 PM
Welcome back to the hobby Peter,

When you have a chance, do take some pictures of your fishroom, I'm sure all of us would love to see it.

Just thot I place a post here to support the Canadian Connection. ;D

Cheerio,

Chi.

ronrca
10-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Hi Chi! Good to see you! ;)

Welcome Peter to simplydiscus! As Chi mentioned, I cant wait to see some pics soon! ;) ;D

darcy
10-16-2003, 10:31 PM
AHHHHHH more Canadians!!! Always nice! Welcome Peter!

Now back to the game!!
Darcy

AndyL
10-16-2003, 11:07 PM
More canucks! Soon we will rule the world! <insert evil laughter>

Welcome to the insanity Peter!

Andy

Sean
10-17-2003, 01:07 AM
Darcy.....I'm a tad disappointed. You're a Canadian and and you wave a Flyers Banner. Boooooooooooooooo

What about the Canucks, or the leafs, or the Habs, or the WINGS?????

See ya..

Smokey
10-17-2003, 02:38 AM
YUP, your are correct, Ron. I know you your had your eyes on the Red Siam's, the Golden Dragons. the Ruby Red's. But, I did get there first.
You snooze --- You lose !!!

Mind you, I did leave you the Penang discus book... Look on page 141 - pic #15.11; and you will see my new white striated discus. hehehehehhe

BTW - where the he#$ is Josh ? If he does not check in, I have a customer for the remaing discus. Beside, he is not ready for such quality discus. lol.

You will have the pick of the remaing 8 discus, Ron ... choose wisely. The remaing ones are sold.

Hey, I am just helping out Ken.

So. you will be there on Monday- ?/?.

Smokey

darcy
10-17-2003, 09:00 AM
Sean ohhhh that was a hit below the belt!! LMAO!! I am also a big fan of the Habs and the Flames!! Philly has always been my fav though ever since I was a kid. Even when I played little league I had a Flyer's jersey. Just try it you may like it!!!

Flyer's all the way!!

ps since when are the red wings Canadian? :-X :-X :-X :-X
Darcy

AndyL
10-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Flames? The flames still exist? I thought they were a farm team now ;D

Can someone get me a doctors note? I don't want to go to work today!

Andy
Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to work I go...

10-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Do you think people will be interested in how a professional set up a fishroom. He has been designing and building from ground up to most of the fish stores in this area and an owner of a local wholesaler for aquartic imports. He is returning the favor to me by helping him out with a pague in his fish store and manage to save the remaining award winning discus. He will be building and renovating my fishroom for free. I just buy the material needed. He will handle everything. He will be building all stands and re-organize all my tanks with various sizes bought through out the years. He will be cutting the height of all tanks and line them up on the rack on the same level. Never thought it could be done. Connect them into a few central systems with automatic W/C and siphon. UV lights and automatic feed. If you guys are interested. I'll keep an eye on the project and take picutres when he start doing it and report every steps how it is done in this section exclusively for our Canucks. If the Aussies want to know, they have to visit this section.
Jimmy.

EthanCote.com
10-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Hey that sounds like a great trade off Jimmy.

Yes please keep a track record of all this including both photos and text. Please take before, inbetween and after photos. I'm sure Simply would like to keep this in their library archived once you have submitted the info.

So does that mean you are getting rid of some of your fish to make room for others? I'll come to Toronto to give ya a visit then ;D (hehe kidding, never hurts to try).

Cheerio,

Chi.

10-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Just the material alone will cost about $6,000 for 30 tanks set up. Hopefully will be up and running by Christmas. I will be only keeping one 150 gal. show tank while I'm renovating to keep myself sane. I still don't know if it is a right thing to do as a hobby. My present drip system has been running fine for years. I really don't know if I should change it. Maybe only a bite of re-organizind with a new stands and height will be enough. The new fish room will be slightly different from Smokey's without the hiding places.
Jimmy.

Smokey
10-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Jimmy; it sounds like a great oppurtunity. Personally speaking, go for it !!

MPE - organization is time effective. AND pays for itself, quickly.
Your new discus room - can only improve ones interest and quality of fish. [ simplydicus - lol.].

QUOTE - from Jimmy - "" I still don't know if it is a right thing to do as a hobby."" ... what, you got nothing better to do ?? ;D
lol.

Jimmy; yes, please document every step, as the room develops.

You have seen my first " discus room" pic. !!!

Smokey

Murphy
10-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi Jimmy, I'm building a fishroom and would love to get some ideas from you along the way!
Peter

Sean
10-17-2003, 05:28 PM
ps since when are the red wings Canadian?
Darcy

Darcy, the Red Wings are Canadian, since I live in Windsor!!!

darcy
10-17-2003, 10:39 PM
LOL Sean!!! I have a buddy that thinks the same thing you do!! Sorry but the Red Wing's are one of my least favorite teams. Dunno why as I like Yzerman,Shanahan and Lidstrom. Ahh well such is life,at least you don't cheer for the Oiler's!!

Darcy

Smokey
10-18-2003, 05:38 AM
Howdy: Well is had been 32 hours since I got my new discus. All have settled in nicely, eating well, socializing with the Aussie discus.

Here a couple of pics ... before they were intoduced to the Black waters, of my setup.

Smokey
10-18-2003, 06:17 AM
Panada on the left, it is about 4''

On the right is one of the Goldern Dragons. This one is 5 inches, round.
Again, they are only 1o months old.

Smokey
10-18-2003, 06:36 AM
Last pic. One of the Super Red Panads.

Smokey

jules
10-18-2003, 07:06 AM
Very nice Smokey - love the first pic and the Super Red Panda, the Red Turq is a beauty also. The piping with "Canada" is a bonus.

jules
10-18-2003, 07:10 AM
Jimmy - the fish room being set up would be of great interest to many of us. Also your knowledge is a big asset. 8)

Smokey
10-18-2003, 07:18 AM
Jules, my friend ... up pretty early this morning??

Me, I am doing w/c's. Getting ready for the days work.
Saturday morning. raining outside - some of April's weather / she sent my way lol.

Ahhh, nice and warm inside!

Smokey

jules
10-18-2003, 07:22 AM
I have two little girls who like to get up before the sun rises.
What is your average temp outside now Smokey?

Smokey
10-18-2003, 08:19 AM
C O L D ! ! ! !

Actually, we do get an Indian Summer; between the snow squalls.

Evenings are around 0'C. -- daytime could be anything. 0 - 10'C.
I am deep down in a valley, now. And we do get some very speedy winds.

Say good morning to your girls..... lol

Smokey

10-18-2003, 11:34 PM
heh, Smokey, im still around just lurkin and readin, no reason to post. Been busy with work and play. Cleaned and replanted my 75 3 weeks ago, been blessed with nice healthy growth and very little algea. finally started stocking my little reef tank with some corals, painted and shingled the house getting ready to sell it. moving web pages and chasing odds and ends for the old man, and gotta finish putting the wifes car back together before the white stuff hits. its times like this and when i hear about poor AndyL working 18 hour days im glad i dont have a "real" job ;D

Nice fish you got from Ken, im glad we got pics of them in CLEAR water ;). I almost took his last 4, but id rather grab some youngins and watch them grow. Wheres the fun in getting adults.

you find your floor in the new shack yet?

Devin, damn youve been busy. nice haul. you makin any jerky or sausage outta that meat? we make jerky outta moose on our hunts, love the stuff.

JimmyL, id be interested in how you guys set up the plumbing and piping. Ive been doodling drawing plans how to arrange tanks in the new place, any new ideas would be great

and now back to watching the oilers get avalanched

Josh

Smokey
10-18-2003, 11:45 PM
Jason ... woooosh!

Smokey
10-18-2003, 11:46 PM
Josh ... woooosh!

jules
10-19-2003, 09:44 AM
Good morning, thought I would share these pictures with you.

jules
10-19-2003, 09:47 AM
another

ronrca
10-20-2003, 11:05 AM
Well, Im back! My wife and I spent the weekend in Calgary. The primary reason for visiting Calgary was to pickup some discus from Ken. Very beautiful discus! I forgot to measure them before putting them in my tank but they must be at least 6"+. Anyways, I bought a 14G rubbermaid container (Walmart $6cdn) to transport them. The container work really well. I also bought a 300W DC-AC converter (Walmart $40cdn) for the car (plugs into the cig. lighter) so I was able to plug in a 100W heater and a small air pump. Boy, that work out really sweet. When I could home, the temp in the container was the same as in the tank. The discus were really relaxed (I also dumped in some Prime before we left Ken's).

Now, let me tell you, these discus are excellant! Extremely calm and tame. I didnt even use a net. I just picked them up with my hand. I didnt have to chase them or corner them to catch them. Just picked them up and put them into the new tank. Once in the new tank, it took around 5 mins and they were checking out the tank and begging for food already. Man, do they look nice. Once I get my RO equipment, I hope to start lowering the conductivity and getting some breeding going.

Thank you Ken for these wonderful discus at an incredible price. You really did an excellant job raising these guys. I really appreciate it (especially fighting off Smokey for the book! LOL). Good luck with your cichlids and all the best with your health! ;) We had a great time visiting you. The only bad part was that it was too short! ;)

PS-Ok, ok! I dont have pics! I really wish I did but unfortuately I could not get my hands on a digi camera. >:( :( I really wish I could of showed how calm the discus were when I picked them out of the container. But, I will try to get some hopefully in the near future (if anyone has a digi camera that they can send me, pm for my address! LOL).

Smokey
10-21-2003, 02:57 PM
Howdy everyone.

Ron - I did everything in my power to aquire the book. lol. Ken is just too honest to be bought!! hahahhaha

Congradulations on your new acquisitions. They are beautiful discus. Take good care of them, ok.

And my sincerest thank you to Ken. He raised some incrediable discus.

Thank you for your freindship. My best wishes for a healthy, speedy recovery.

Sincerley ... Smokey

Smokey
10-24-2003, 01:17 AM
Josh, did you aquire any of Ken's discus??

AndyL
10-25-2003, 06:38 PM
Today... I have but one thing to say...

"I'm dreaming of a white christmas "

Andy

10-25-2003, 06:39 PM
No, i got very close though. I'd prefer to have some fry to start from scratch with, not as much fun just buying adults.

Our dollar has been doing damn good lately, an american order is starting to look better.

Smokey
10-25-2003, 11:16 PM
O.K. - your loss. lol.

The discus are only 9 months old. Hand feed, from a very important breeder. Their heitage is on paper.

BTW. how the he#$ have you been doing. I am still unable to reserect my old msn account.

I will have to create a new account.

Hmmm a new alious!@!!!! how about #$%%&&#. LOL.. [ inside humor}.for Josh.

Smokey

Smokey
10-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Jules, incrediable pic's.

Out west, here - we have mainly conifors. The indoor tanned tourists.

Fall - their tan has started to wear off ... however - in place ... we are in-o-dated with the hunter crowd.

Full camafloge, ammo belts, belt knives, and a ... how can I say this -- well - a time challedge exposure to H2O. hahahhaha.

Ahhh, life in the wilderness!!!! Tracking, through the rugged Rocky Mountains, a furry "beast".
Last years count - Hunters 12; furry beasts - 15. lol.....

Smokey

Love the pics

Smokey
10-26-2003, 01:18 AM
O.K. - all of Ken's discus are sold.

I just closed the final deal, with a new and upcoming breeder. Everything is confirmed. I will be travelling to Calgary to receive the last of Kens Private stock.

Sorry Josh; you. MPO. passed up an incediable oppertunity. lol..

Ahhh fresh blood .. a new person in the hobby. Another dedicated pereson to the hobby.

We will also be picking up some 130 gallon tanks, for his system.

Smokey

PS .. he also has 150 frontosas available. Me first!!!

Arrownas, etc.

This will be my first personal with him. Sounds like a very interesting person.

10-26-2003, 02:43 AM
Things have been good. Busy off and on, just slowly packing and straightening up the house. The forms for the foundation in the new place were put up yesterday, finally got our hole dug last week. I've been taking pics every couple days on the project. Be nice to see our house come up in steps. Everythings being landscaped in the dry pond behind the house, place is starting to look half decent.

Wife is still adjusting to alberta weather, hehe she smokes and i dont, told her she'll quit after the first week at -30 ;)

Im still itching for some fish, if i can scratch up a few hundred bucks im gonna get an order together from cary, if i can get him to keep his strains straight and not have 5 strains come and go on his list every time i talk to him ::)

You find the floor in your new place yet?

Smokey
10-26-2003, 08:51 AM
>Morning BlkWolfe:

Good to hear your new house is starting to come together. A big project, to say the least.

The new fish room is still being laid out .. on paper. I am torn between using my exsisting stands,,,,, or purchasing commerical steel racks.. I have been looking at the ones used for the new set up at the shop. Nice, neat and strong. Efficient use of space. The verticals are spected for 7000 pounds each. I can get the 24/30 inch wide shelving . Hmmmmmm. what to do.

As soon as have time, I will be settting every thing up, even if is temperary.

AS for now, all discus are in the 30inch deep 100 gallon unit. Actually, they love it. Lots of vertical room. Every one is getting aquainted. lol.

Interesting to watch the Red Turks sizing up the Red Siam's. Never seen anything like it. A bit of shoving, body language....

The Golden Dragons have settled in nicely. They swim with an impressive look of supierority.

Feeding time ... they all share the same plate. hahaha.. Beefheart & bloodworms. The feed bill has increased!!

Good luck on your new home.

Smokey

CanadianGuy
10-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Smokey,

Where can I get some of that shelving? and what does it cost?...I've been looking for some good pre-fab shelves to hold 2 120s or 2 90s...

Thanks
James

Smokey
10-29-2003, 02:51 PM
James . the stands are available from most suppliers .. check out the yellow page[?]. They are expensive . each vertical is $10.00, etc..

Smokey

10-30-2003, 07:05 PM
Got some pics of the house as it progresses

youll notice the weathers going to hell as we speak ;D

10-30-2003, 07:05 PM

10-30-2003, 07:06 PM

shorthair
10-31-2003, 06:06 PM
So about 3 more months till the house wrecking party? :P

Devin

11-01-2003, 12:18 AM
Right after the Moving Party in late January/early February ;)

Smokey
11-01-2003, 05:35 AM
Looking good, Josh. Have you started disigning the fish room yet ??

smokey

11-01-2003, 03:44 PM
Just some rough guesses from the plans. Its gonna be where that pile of 2x4 and sheeting is in the third picture. Right next to the mechanical room, so hot water tank heating for some of the racks is looking promising.

Im just going to wait until they have the basement framed, then i can go in and walk everything out, lay out some wood frames and see what everything will look like.

foundation measures 40x42, but man that basement looks small when there's nothing in it.

Smokey
11-02-2003, 04:42 AM
1680 sq. feet - and it fills up quickly.

Remember, a dedicated fish room is just that .. forget the sofa. !!
lol

Smokey

Smokey
11-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Well, another trip into the flat-lands of Alberta. is over.

Visited with J., the discus are doing great in their new home.

The arrowna is doing "very" well in his new home. What an incrediable fish. sort of like oweing a Newfoundland dog .. Gentle, powereful and beautiful,\./\\\...

Return trip - mild weather to a mountain snowstorm. Again!!!!!

Ron, I have the specs from the glass cutter. And the cost's... not bad. not bad at ALL!!!.

I will e-mail you the specs/$.

Smokey

11-02-2003, 06:56 PM
Heh, i wish half that was fish room

just one room next to the mechanical room is set aside for the fish. its L shaped measures about 14 feet by 9 or 10 feet on the long section and 6x6 in the short. room for a utility sink and got a floor drain for dumping all the wc water.

rest of the basement is living space. Due to some health problems with my mom, and the wife and i being broke newlyweds, we went in on a house together. Walkout basement with 2 bedrooms and a kitchen etc for us down there. so that foundation is our entire future home. still looks damn small ;)

Smokey
11-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Josh - remember; this is only your first step. The family may be arriving .. children - aka rug rats.. Protect yourself.. there is no return. Hahahahahahahahha. lol...

CongrADUALTIONS ONE YOUR NEW WORLD!

Family first!

Smopky

jules
11-02-2003, 08:11 PM
BLKWolfe: You will be able to fit at least 2 babies in a 1600+ square footer-no problem. The size of a home is always deceiving until the drywall is up. Congratulations and as a matter of fact my babies are one year apart in age. ;)

Smokey
11-03-2003, 05:08 AM
J- remember Josh is a big fellow.. I am sure he will fill the house !

lol...

Too much time on you hands - build a new home. Fill it with love.

ronrca
11-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Looking good Josh! Sorry I havent got back to you yet! Life has really increased the pace! :-X First, we are going to be renovating the Kitchen/Dining room over Christmas, insulating walls properly (upgrading 4" wall to 6"), drywall, installing proper electrical circuits, building new kitchen WITH dishwasher! We will also be giving our tenant notice to vacant our basement suit by March 2004 in which I get a dedicated fishroom downstairs so I have been laying out the fish room, designing the plumbing/electrical, revising the rack design, etc, etc, etc! The move will take place in March or sooner depending on when the suite is empty. Once the spare bedroom is empty, it will also be renovated again insulating walls properly, re-drywalling, painting, flooring, etc, etc, etc! Of course, the fishroom will be an ongoing project as I dont think that I can get it all done the way I want it between the projects (Kitchen and spare bedroom). O yes! And to top it all off yet, the busy season of design is starting which will last until end of May, beginning of June! Im talking like 9000 lots that will be needing power services and street lighting!

Beginning of May our lives will drasticly change for the better I hope. An addition to our marriage is to take place which of course explains why the spare bedroom must be renovated asap! Because of this event, I plan on building the furniture also which means the crib and dresser/change table, etc, etc, etc! :o Yikes! Lots of projects this winter and no break for the next 60 years! LOL! ;)

Im very excited for you Josh! Keep us updated! ;) Say hi to your wife! ;)

ronrca
11-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Smokey,
Im anxiously awaiting your e-mail on the tanks! This will determine whether I cut up my huge ex living room window and also what size if I do! ;)

11-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Congrats on the new addition coming Ron ;D Wife says hi and wishes you all the best.

We finally have an address, 143ave and 134st. We've had a couple setbacks, city taking its time with permits etc. Completion is lookin like somewhere around the end of march/beginning of april. My last winter in the house i grew up in. At least there wont be a mid-february move ;D

If you need some building supplies or appliances PM me or give me a call. Maybe get you a better deal on a few things. Pick up a few friends over the years working in real estate.

Jules, i went back to have another look at the foundation the other day and walked it out. size 15 boots make it easy to walk out distances ;) all the space is there, just standing outside looking at open walls, doesnt look like much.

jules
11-03-2003, 09:23 PM
CONGRATULATIONS Ron and your better half of course. ;D Is this your first little one? :angel:

Smokey
11-03-2003, 11:38 PM
Ron - I TOLD YOU SO !!!!!! hahahahahahahahha

Tch,tch,tch - fooling around with the wife...lol

Congradualtions Ron. Better turn up that violin....and learn to play the baby tunes!!!

Smokey

ronrca
11-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Thanks! It will be our first......well not including the discus babies! LOL!

jules
11-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Ron...are you ready?? :coffee: My advice would be get rested up now ;) :o your life will change completely for the better.

ronrca
11-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the advice! Unfortuately, there doenst seem to be any rest periods for the next 60 years! LOL! With the renos of the kitchen, spare bedroom (which will be the nursey and not for fish), construction of the fish room, building furniture, etc, etc, I will be having a very busy winter and in May life changes (now including the wc's, there will be diaper changes :sick: :yikes: )! ;D 8) O, well! I adore kids! Im a big kid myself still! ;D

Smokey
11-06-2003, 05:58 AM
W/C's - diaper changers,
feeding / feeding routine,
cleaning the tank/crib,
sleepless nights.
hhhmmmmm I do not see to much of a difference. Hahahahaha,...... lol

Smokey

gump
11-09-2003, 05:16 PM
I figured I would post about the CFL here, because no one else gives a damn about it or knows what it is!!! LOL
November is here & finals are amoung us. Montreal & TO at the big O is starting now as I type. It's good to see a croud of 60,000+ to watch a CFL game.
Of course I am a big Montreal fan and expect them to go all the way & win the Grey Cup AGAIN!!!!!!
insert the sound of a beer opening here.
Any other Cannucks out there??
Pierre

darcy
11-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Hey Pierre
Yep I'm here and watchin as I type. Argo's by nine in the 2nd. I thought Montreal would whip them hands down guess I was wrong!! Well 2 more quarters to go we will see I guess.
Darcy

gump
11-09-2003, 08:19 PM
PHEWW!!!
Argos made a game of it. Back to the show in a couple of weeks!!
Where is Smokey this year!! LOL
Pierre

Smokey
11-09-2003, 10:20 PM
I am here !!!!
Beening A Oliers Fan ; However - with out Mr. Pockletan, aka cash in the pocket.. the oilers suck !!!!!

Every since the city of Edmonton took over the team -- well - letrs just say , MPO - nevey let a committie deceide your future...////@!!! " the sounds of a flushing toilet.\\

Grump - you already turned down my losses. - $10.00 worth of pennies. Mailed to you --"COLLECT". hAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..

Do you wish to go double or not a thing??

Your western discouraged buddy ..

Smokey

Smokey
11-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Howdy. Ya all:

Well, Another work week has ended for me.

I manage a " local fish shop ". Sometimes I make good decisions; other times - I let the owner make the decessions. [loss after loss].

The most important thing; about my presence there : The persons I meet,
{ The boss wants to charge for my advice]. yEA == RIGHT!!!!

And I dO.

WITH helpful information .. simple suggestion. AND - honest help-ful ideas.

People are people. Mistakes happen... However, I do not tolerate ignorance. Suggested by others. MPO.

I am sure most will understand, my personal comments.

E.G - w/c's; biological bacteria, w/c's, NO; COMET - TO - WASH - OUT - THE - TANK. ; ETC... tHE STORIERS DO GO ON !! >>>

I have three levels of customer interaction;

1- No. your tank is not cycled. No more fish for you. ... REsistance - by the customer!! O.K - not a problen- I sell them bags of fish...

2 - Sorry, you have a fulll fish load. [ water has been brought in for testing}!
Customer is starting to undertstand the imporatance of water quality. Numbers do not lie!!!

& NUMBER THREE

3 - Welcome. Can I interest you in this fish. You tank is healthly
and functual. Time to expand.

P.S -A very rewarding occupation. A lovley chance to interact with persons.

AND - They keep me on my toes!!! New Questions! Future is on the horizon... .

Smokey

Only the West is best.

Smokey

gump
11-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Hey Smoker.....
Yep, Let's go Double or nothing, I have nothing to loose. It's funny that it's a repeat of last year. Montreal should take it again however. Did Darcy ever collect from ya??? LOL!!!
Pierre

darcy
11-10-2003, 08:55 PM
"Did Darcy ever collect from ya????" Yea right!!!!! LMAO!!!

Pierre I have to also go with Montreal this year, as I NEVER will cheer for Edmonton.

Darcy

Smokey
11-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Personally; I will support the west!

Smokey

gump
11-15-2003, 05:31 PM
SMU advances to the Vanier Cup!! YAHOOO. This could be their third straight!! I know it's not great ball, but it still is tradition!! I'm still pissed off that UNB dropped their football program in 1980!!!
GO SMU next weekend.
Pierre

gump
11-16-2003, 06:21 PM
HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gump
11-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Darcy, Smokey you out there??
Pierre

darcy
11-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Yea Gump still here!! LOL sorry man. Can't believe Edmonton won that game. Bummer. Next on my list is the heritage Classic this weekend. That is gonna be cool. GO HABS GO!!

Darcy

gump
11-20-2003, 06:15 AM
Yea Darcy.. Too bad, we took alot of foolish penalties. Oh well, there is always next year.
I agree, two sporting events this weekend, the Heritage classic as you mentioned.. I agree.. GO HABS GO... "Les Canadien sont la". The Vanier Cup is also interesting as SMU is playing for their third straight win!! ( Not great football, but it is the home town team afterall)
Hey Smoker, I guess we are even EH!! LOL
Pierre

ronrca
11-28-2003, 11:03 AM
Well, December 1 is coming around quickly! Why is December 1 that important? Too me it is and it means good and bad! I am getting our tenant 3 months to move out of our basement. The good news is that I can move my fish and rack into a much larger and dedicated fish room (I can also starting jogging in the morning watching my fish)! ;D The bad news is that she is an awesome tenant and once she moves out, less money coming in! :(

Murphy
12-04-2003, 05:06 PM
Hi Ron, less money and a new baby?....Ouch! :juggle:

12-04-2003, 05:54 PM
More and more discus too

Ron, i got the same from my wife. She settled down a bit when she saw pics of parents and adults. Then hit me when i told her what the total bill was :'( Little women have pointy knuckles

ronrca
12-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Well, I started work on the kitchen cabinets, cutting, edging, assembling last weekend. I will be continuing the assembling this weekend yet then the weekend after the kitchen comes out. ;D Boy, what a way to spend Christmas. ;)

Good news and bad news though! The good news is that the basement will be available to move my fish downstairs Jan 1. The bad news though is no more rental income (we were actually hoping for another 2 months). O well! Now I will have lots of time to setup the fishroom without being rushed! ;D Then in March/April I will be renovating the spare bedroom upstairs for the baby! :o Yikes, thats scary in a way! ;)

Murphy
12-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Enjoy your new addition to the family, they grow up fast! My baby is now 26 and expecting in February.

Smokey
12-25-2003, 03:24 AM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.

Smokey

ronrca
12-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Update
Everything is going well and on schedule. The kitchen has the first coat of primer and the underlay will be installed beginning of this week. The kitchen cabinets are scheduled to be install on Friday! ;)

Also, our renter moved out last Monday so that means the fishroom is empty and ready to setup ;D of course once the kitchen is done. ;) I also braved the Boxing Day crowds to pickup 2 65G tanks for $90cdn each! Not a bad price. ;) Once I get the water storage setup, I will be starting the move of the rack system. Kind of looking forward to it now!

Take care! Have a Happy New Year! ;)

Murphy
12-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Woo! Hoo! fishroom here we come! ;D

ronrca
01-06-2004, 11:26 AM
So far so good with the kitchen. It should be completed on Saturday with the lino being installed the week after. Hopefully pics will follow shortly! ;)

Then, once the kitchen is complete, I work on getting my fishroom construction and running. Im running out of space already but there is no way I can convince my wife that I can use the whole basement! :(

Smokey
01-07-2004, 12:26 PM
LOL... go for as much as you can. Space is used up quickely

Smokey

jules
01-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Hi Ron: How many weeks to go before the new arrival? :heart2:

ronrca
01-08-2004, 12:03 PM
I believe my wife is around 23weeks at the moment so another 17 weeks theortically. ;)

Blackmango
01-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Hello to everyone!

Am thrilled to see a Canadian thread. I am enjoying my modest success so far, have raised 4 nice discus (90 gallon tank) from the size of a twoonie and have a breeding pair. Have pics but can't size them right just yet.
I confess it never occurred to me to breed them but they keep laying eggs. I now have taken the step of getting a separator and making beefheart mix.
But what I'd really like is to know if any of you live around the greater Toronto area and have any discus babies (pigeonbloods)available or even any other tropical fishes. A friend has a small pet food boutique and loves discus too and has a couple of tanks set up in the store now and wants some for his personal tank (and a few tropical fish varieties to sell). Great to have found you all!
Gunda in T.O.

darcy
01-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Welcome to Simply!!!

Check the member map. There are a few people from the Toronto area on the board. Have fun!!

Darcy

ronrca
01-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Hey Gunda,
Welcome to Simplydiscus! I always love welcoming fellow Canadians to simplydiscus! ;) If you want, you can send the pics to me and I can resize them for you! Or you can read this thread for help:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=1430

I use Microsoft's PhotoEditor and resize it smaller until the file size is under 85K. If you need help, just send me a PM! ;)

ronrca
01-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Well, the kitchen is not quite done! The weather on the weekends have been really bad (really cold, ice rain, etc). Im pretty much done my part of the construction, its just the finishing touches on the cabinets that need to be done by the carpenter. Lino was put in last Tuesday. ;) Now, applicances and baseboards/casings.

Also, we have aquired the first payment of many for the additional to the family. We both a 2003 Windstar on Saturday! ;D ;)

Barb Newell
01-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi Gunda, welcome to Simply Discus! I live in Burlington, about 35 - 40 minutes from you. I used to live in the West end of Toronto (Bloor West Village), big city!

I often have discus available. Right now I have 3 wk old green fry and turqs from the greens. They'll be ready in 3 - 4 wks.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=14866

Barb

Joao
01-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Hi friends,
I live here in Toronto, Jane and St. Clair.
We're looking to get all the discus fans for the club here in Toronto, just waiting for response on "Hobbiest discus event locator" for Toronto Discus Club.
I have some fish to sell or trade, for younger ones, I have a 12 month discus and one is couple breeding w/ babies right now, hope the others don't eat them again. I don't have enough room, so cannot breed them.
Hi Barb nice fish you have in there, I wish that I could get some, maybe soon.

Joao

01-30-2004, 06:44 AM
Well its 3:30am and got nothin better to do than post a couple pics.

Here's a batch i got from DaveC in early december. So rewarding to watch them grow.

First up, three days after arrival

01-30-2004, 06:46 AM
Close up

01-30-2004, 06:48 AM
and some taken today before their breakfast

01-30-2004, 06:49 AM
Just short of 3" now, coloring up nicely

shorthair
01-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Looking good Josh and growing fast!! :thumbsup:

Devin

April
02-06-2004, 10:36 PM
hi there.. theres fish flying into vancouver on monday from Jason. at superior discus..if any vancouverites would like to share shipping.
you can let me know or jason. short notice...but..just think fish landing here... 8)

jules
02-10-2004, 08:52 PM
April - we need pictures of your new arrivals from Thunder Bay.

Blkwolfe - your little guys from DaveC are really growing. What kind?

Mountain Man
02-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi all fellow Canadian and everyone else !

im new to the forum .....glad to see this CC section of the forum ! Use to keep discus some 30 years back! ...4 years ago I went to Reef Aquarium 90gallon! well last week I sold all my fish and live rocks and clean the tank and setting up for discus ! tank been sitting now for a week ! all doing good ! will be putting in 3 wild brown for a start will be getting them tomorow nite ! So will post pics tomorow nite once they are settle down! Sort of a deal with the local pet shop who bought my Salt water fishes !

So have not seen the fishes yet ! but looking foward to getting back in discus again! so im sure you will be hearing from this Mountain Man again soon!

btw I live just outside of Moncton NB Canada !

jules
02-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Welcome!!! :wave:

Very Fishy
02-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi Canada!! :wave:

I live in Oakville, Ontario. I have been in and out of the tropical fish hobby since I was a kid. Up until a year ago, just the standard community tanks with angels, swordtails, tetras, guppies, catfish, etc. Just over a year ago, I wanted something abit more challenging and interesting. After much reading and research I had narrowed it down to either discus or african cichlids. Well, I chose to go with discus and have had 4 tang PB for about a year now. Just got a bigger tank and will be adding some more discus shortly!!

02-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Welcome to Warren and Mountain Man ;D

Jules, they're red leopards. Some of them are showing nice spots, others have got lots of turk in them. Hard to tell though until they get older. I love these little guys. Soon as we get into the new place they've got a 140 with their name on it

ronrca
03-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Wow! Its been pretty quiet in here!

Well, yesterday we finally had breakfast in our new kitchen. I managed to convince the wife to move in. Her thinking was everything had to be 150% complete however time is running out for moving the fishroom downstairs and renovate the baby room. The kitchen is 99% done with just minor touch ups here and there. This means that I also started the fishroom in the basement. On Saturday I tore out the carpet and installed some artifical turf as they call it which is relatively inexpensive ($5cdn/sq yard). I just couldnt get use to cold tiles I guess. I was also able to stub a 2" drain into the room already and tonight I hope to complete it once I finalize my layout. I hope to take some pics soon! ;)

ronrca
03-17-2004, 10:47 AM
I took a few pics this morning of the progress so far. Not much but its a start.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ronr_ca

They are under the folder 'New fishroom March 2004'

jules
03-17-2004, 12:23 PM
HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY.
:bounce2: :balloon:
Top of the morning to you!

Ron, your Fishroom is progressing well, the turf is practical and natural looking... the best part is you never have to mow it. ;)

ronrca
03-17-2004, 03:40 PM
the best part is you never have to mow it. LOL! No kidding! Next project should be installing it outside! ;D I could then sell the mower and buy even more fish! ;)

ronrca
03-19-2004, 10:42 AM
I took some pics of our Kitchen! Its not quite all done, just some minor little details like tiles above the counter for one. ;)

Under the 'Kitchen' folder

jules
03-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Looks good Ron- I like the Cathedral Style your better half chose ;)

Your 90gallon is beautiful, may I ask : how many times per week do you change your water and what percentage?

ronrca
03-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks Jules! ;)

The 90G pics are outdated I think already and I have not been as diligent on the maintance part. :o :spank: When I do get around to a wc, I do around 40-50%. ;)

ronrca
04-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Well, last weekend managed to move half my discus downstairs. Boy does it take a while to setup the plumbing, pumps, etc, etc, etc! O well! All the adults are downstairs and they love their new 65G tank. I actually had a good time moving the discus themselves when I did get the chance to do so. First I netted the discus and put into a 5G pail. Then I carried them downstairs however instead of netting them again, I used my hands to take them out of the pail. They were perfectly calm as I lifted them out of the pail. What I did was 'cupped' my hands around both sides of the discus in order to cover their eyes. Once their eyes were covered, they remained motionless. Wow! I use to be a little 'scared' to touch them for fear Id hurt them with my big hands or swish them or something. Anyways, 8 adult discus look beautiful in the new tank. I love my fill system with the 250G storage container and the 2100 Ampmaster pump. It fills the 45G sump in under a minute! ;D I took some time off Thursday to finish the 2nd 65G and move the juvs downstairs! ;)

Moon
04-06-2004, 12:48 PM
I am a newcomer to this site. I got seven Ocean Green Discus from Barb Newell about a month ago. All doing well. I have about 16 tanks in my fish room. Chiclids and catfish mainly with African and South American fish.
My fish room is in a crawl space with a truss height of about 5 ft. I can stan straight between trusses. Works well for me and I am out of the way of the regular household. I go in my fish room close the door with some piped Jazz and I am in a world of my own.
Look forward to some pics of your new fish room Ron. Specially your drip system. By the way I am from Burlington, Ontario.
moon

ronrca
04-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Hi Moon and welcome to simplydiscus! ;)
Do you have pics of your discus and fishroom? Id love to see them! ;)

You can check out my yahoo album for pics!

To get the full size photo, I think you have to download it, then view!

Smokey
04-09-2004, 02:20 AM
Everything is looking great, Ron.

Smokey

Joao
04-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Hi,
I have a batch of 60 to 80 fry w/ 6 weeks old for sale, I'll sell it alltogether for a good price or b/o , asking $120 cnd for all , or $3 each.
I'm selling the parents too, blue diamond and blue fins spotted pigeon asking $160 or b/o, "they're breedind again"
Two more pigeon one with patterns, asking $80 each. I'll sell all of them for $300.

Now , you asking why I'm selling for such a low price, very soon I'm going out of Toronto for a month , and I have to sell them , have no one to look after them.

This fish is 15 month old , and from a good breeder, I only can sell to people that can pick it up, please, you might email me to arrange appointment,

Thank you,

Joao

ronrca
04-16-2004, 10:08 AM
An update on my fishroom! ;)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=18021

ronrca
04-20-2004, 10:08 AM
The latest on the renos!

Saturday, April 17, we (my brother, brother in-law and me) ripped out the old drywall and insulation in the babyroom. While they took the stuff to the dump, I managed to wire in 2 more plugs. Then we had to buy the construction supplies like 2x2s, drywall, insulation, etc. We were back around noon. After lunch we started nailing on the 2x2s (we rented a framing nailer which is sooo much faster than doing it by hammer or drill). The reason I added the 2x2s is because our house is around 40years+ and built using 2x4s. I add the 2x2s to give enough space to insulate to a r20 value. Once all the 2x2s were nailed on, I started again with the electrical, installing the plugs and wiring them and my brother in-law was insulating. By the time I was done wiring 4 plugs, he was pretty much done insulating. Next, the drywall! The room itself is around 11'x11' with 2 outside walls so I used 12' drywall sheets, one top and one bottom to minimize taping. We were all done around 4-4:30pm. Then, the taping started which I did (my brother in-law put the mesh on though). It only took an hour or two. In the evening I screwed down the floor yet. Sunday afternoon I started sanding except for the corners because they were still wet. After sanding I taped the joints and screws yet. Monday morning around 5am I sanded again and put the second coat of mud on which I sanded in the evening again. This morning I sanded the touch ups from last night and hope to prime the whole room tonight!

So, its rush rush now! ;D ;) Im pretty happy with the progress this last weekend. Now Im quite confident I can have the babyroom done by May 2.

ronrca
04-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Babyroom is primed 2 coats and this morning we painted the first final coat of paint! ;) Tomorrow the carpet goes in plus baseboards, casing, etc! Wow! And to think we just ripped out the drywall last Saturday! ;D Im very happy with my taping job also! ;)

ronrca
04-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Well, the carpet is in, so are the baseboards/casing and crown moldings. ;D Now, we paint again the baseboards/casings. Then comes the furniture. Not bad at all considering May 2 is my wifes due date! ;)

jules
04-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi Ron, glad to hear everything is progressing in time for the new arrival.

I like Aaron as a middle name.

ronrca
05-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Well, ready or not, Marcel Joel was born Monday, May 3, 2004 @ 1:37am weighing 7lbs 14ozs. Luckily the babyroom was done on Saturday. ;D

ronrca
05-10-2004, 02:47 PM
These were taken on the day he was born btw!