PDA

View Full Version : Automated drip systems

bernie82
09-25-2003, 01:16 PM
When I first got involved with Discus more that 30 years ago I wasn't successful , so I tried to find people who were successful in raising Discus to learn from.
I discovered Herman Chan's Fairylake Discus Palace in Northern California. I visited his store and was amazed to see at least 5 pair of Discus that had fry feeding from their bodies. Herman didn't speak very good English in those days and he also was reluctant to give out much information regarding his secrets in raising Discus. He did give me the secret but I didn't recognize it. He told me that the secret was the water.
I bought some fish from him and carefuly analyzed the water he packed them in. I checked out the hardness and the PH and made sure to adjust my water to be exactally the same as his. I still had no luck in raising or breeding this fish. It was a few years later that I realized what he meant. The secret is not the chemical makeup of the water, it's the water changes.
When I started doing 50% water changes a day my fish prospered and multiplied. If I had the time I'd do two 50% changes a day and I feel certain they would even do better.
I've never used the Python water changer. I wonder if anyone can tell me if it can be used continually by exchanging water very slowly, like about 5 gallons an hour. Any suggestions on an automated water exchange system that could slowly change water 24 hours a day that doesn't cost a fortune would be greatly appreciated.

09-25-2003, 04:09 PM
The system itself won't be expensive....just the ton of water you're running through it... :)
david

09-25-2003, 05:33 PM
bernie:Python doesn't work in slow flow. All you need is a drip system and an overflow to drain the excess water out. You can regulate the drip rate as long as the water stays clear. You can build an over flow with pvc pipes under $2.00 each. You can even build one in 3 minutes with your siphon hose. Don't waste hundreds of dollars for that.
J.

Fish_Fin-atic
09-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Hey Bernie, check out this link.
http://waynesworldangelfish.com/automated_water_changes.htm

It doesn't really cost all that much, it's mostly a lot of labour to put it together, but once it's up, I imagine it would save you hundreds of hours of not doing WCs!

09-25-2003, 06:51 PM
www.dripirragation.com

works for Me!

Cary Gld!