PDA

View Full Version : feeding live shrimp (Gammarus) to discus?

Mykiss
09-25-2003, 01:49 PM
I have read that a few people have fed live freshwater shrimp to their fish. The particular type is Gammarus When I get a chance I will send a photo of one.
However, I have never heard of people feeding them to discus. Any discus keepers out there fed your fish with Gammarus?
I would think it would be okay. In fact, they move a lot (the shrimp) so the discus would have fun chasing their food down! The problem I am worried about is i) disease ii) digestion problems because of the shell of the shrimp

Any suggestions? thanks
PT

09-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Hi Mykiss....

I haven't tried feeding those to my Discus...... but here's a link with a picture. Ugly little creatures :o

http://shop.uwphoto.no/detail.asp?product_id=esv001cd07

Beth

Jeff
09-25-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure why, but gut feeling is not to feed anything freshwater alive to the discus. There is always the possibility they can cantain diseases.

discuskrib
09-26-2003, 03:28 PM
i've fed my discus live ghost shrimp in the past. the discus didn't make them disappear nearly as quick as i thought they would. the shrimp seemed to be more of an occasional snack than a meal. some of them lasted for well over a year after i stopped buying them.

Mykiss
09-26-2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll hold off and try feeding them to my other fish. If they live and do well, then maybe I'll start thinking about feeding them to my discus. thanks again!
PT