PDA

View Full Version : hydro sponge/ Hagen double biofoam

blaze
09-27-2003, 03:14 PM
the next tank i'm making is gonna be ...roughly 40g {42x14x16 odd measurment, but i'm working with limited space}

I usually use Whispers......but after reading all the comparssions with Aquaclear (+ it's the popular choice on SimplyDiscus)....but my LFS jacked up the Aquaclear prices...
I was thinking going the HYDROSPONGE or the Hagen BioFoam Filter route......

here goes :
(main filter) a HydroSponge w/ a powerhead or a airpump
(backup) Hagen BioSponge w/ a SilentAir battery pump [in case of powercut]

or
(main) a Hagen BioFoam Double filter air pump
(backup) Hagen BioFoam Double filter w/battery airpump

should i go with a HydroSponge III or IV (trying to save money here)....also can HydroSponge be sufficiently driven by airpumps or go straight with a Powerhead ?

Trying to safely save $ here

RyanH
09-27-2003, 03:34 PM
I would definately use the largest Hydrosponge you can fit in your tank. There is only about a dollar difference in price between the various sizes. Also, try some online stores for filters. I was at a petsmart in Grand Rapids MI. the other day and they had aquaclear 300's on sale for 37.00 each. Big Al's has them for 19.99 all the time. They also have good prices on Hydrosponges. Jehmco has the least expensive Hydrosponges I've seen. It pays to shop around, even after shipping costs you can save quite a bit of money.

www.bigalsonline.com
www.jehmco.com

hth
-Ryan

blaze
09-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the reply
too bad I don't live in USA or Canada..........out here it is grab it when u see it.

Keep the opinions comming pllz

Carol_Roberts
09-29-2003, 11:06 PM
So none of the online catalogs like www.petsolutions.com or www.drfostersmith.com will ship to Jamaica?

I'd get a hydro sponge IV and run it with an air pump.

OR maybe you could IM DiscusGeo - he makes nice sponge filters. IF he can't mail you one perhaps he can tell you how to make them yourself.

blaze
09-30-2003, 07:29 PM
thank your the replys.
The stuff (filters/Powerheads/airpumps) are availabe out here (for now ::)) , so i just wanted to know what to go with while its still available.

blaze
09-30-2003, 08:01 PM
Umuuhmm :P

changes ;D... its gonna be 47x15x16 [48.8 gallons]
Im going to use :
* Whisper2 [from another tank]
*either a HydroSponge 111 -OR- a Hagen Biofoam Double (decision is yours) using a air pump
*(back-up) a Hagen BoiFoam Double using a SilentAir-B11 battery pump.

ps. Carol... I can make my own sponge filters (why didn't I think of that) but since it for discus i'll stick to the Professional stuff.

Carol_Roberts
09-30-2003, 11:01 PM
I think any sponge filter will do as long as you keep up with water changes and tank maintanance

blaze
10-01-2003, 05:45 PM
water cahnges no prob....
but, I can never remember to wipe down the sides