PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

blackghost
09-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Hi all,
Today while feeding i noticed the feaces of my two discus were looking transperant and hollow, even the normal black feaces were coated with transperant something.
What is this, is it starting of hex or worms.
I havent done anything yet so as to avoid wrong medication.
I know metro for hex and fenbendazole for worms but is it hex or worm.
The feaces are nor striengy.
I hope it's not hex i HATE hex!! >:(
Please advice

Niranjan

GulfCoastDiscus
09-29-2003, 12:56 PM
I would wait until I'm sure what it is. I would add some salt and more water changes. Sometimes this is caused by feeding live blackworms. I hate treating my fish with meds especially when I cannot tell what it is. It just puts undo stress to the fish. You can deworm them orally. BH laced with deworming meds. I do this occasionally specially if they've had worms in the past. JMO

Dan

fcdiscus
09-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Sure sounds like hex to me. I would raise the temp to 94 or 93 and make sure you have some metro on hand. Frank

blackghost
09-30-2003, 01:59 AM
Man i am really confused now,
How long should i wait, ok i fed them worms once or twice but that was 2 days back.
So should i raise the tempreature and add salt?
If hex what concentration to use and if worms what concentration of fenbendazole to use.
Please advice safest doses as in past i had all discus tailstanding after treating with fenbendazole.
Also i would like some minor details that matter while treating. Like how clean the tank should be, should i give water change before adding med and what WC's to do after meds are added.
I also noticed that their apetite has gone down very much,
First they use to hog on tetra bits now they just eat 3 to four bits and i have to syphon off left over.

Thanks in advance

Ardan
09-30-2003, 06:16 AM
Hi,
For hex, flubendazole is ineffective, use Metronidazole (hexamit)

I use it at 400 to 500 mg/ 10 gal every 8 hours for 3 days.

temp 94F for 10 days

50% wc/day before one of the doses

hth

blackghost
09-30-2003, 11:01 AM
But what is it for sure worm or hex?
I dont want to stress them by useing improper medicine.
I was getting bit jumpy so i increased temp to 94f and added salt.
After i increased the temp they ate well today but not as well as before.
I'll see the feces tommorow or as soon as one of them pops but will wait untill each one pops.

What do u think hex or worm?

blackghost
09-30-2003, 11:29 AM
I also noticed that ny heater has got only 92f how do i get 95f?

DavidH
09-30-2003, 12:04 PM
Add another heater.

fcdiscus
09-30-2003, 12:29 PM
Your symptoms sound like Hex. 92 will work, and follow Ardans suggestion for the metro. It should do the trick, Good luck, Frank

blackghost
10-01-2003, 01:42 AM
Ok guys hex confirmed cos i observed them for while when eating tetra bits they use chew it and spit it out i think that is a sure sign of hex.
I am gona treat them as per Ardans advice.
Also i would like to know mhich medicine should i use to deworm them as some body said not to use fenbendazole with metro i mean after metro treatement is over.
Also please advice proper doses for deworming.
Also will deworming medicine work if added to water and not in food?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Niranjan

blackghost
10-01-2003, 01:52 AM
Ok as for deworming i can get all the medicines listed below

Albendazole
Mebendazole
Secnidazole

Piperazine citrate (i am concerned about this medicine, it's in liquid form and it's not pure piperazine, also the liquid had colour added to it.
I can get it in pure form.So i'll have to stick to above three or Fenbendazole.
Will it be safe if i use fenbendazole after running the metro treated water through charcoal (not activated carbon).
Also should i add any antibiotic to tank with metro, as metro is sugar based and will cause bacterial bloom.
I have a canister filtre running on my tank should i turn it off and should it be kept running.

Carol_Roberts
10-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Treat with metro by itself. Keep canister running. do 50% daily water changes prior to adding metro dose. Don't worry too much about bacterial bloom.

Somebody else will have to advise you which worm med to use - Brewmaster 15 or JimmyL will know.

Ardan
10-02-2003, 06:08 AM
Here is AL's link to Panacur use (fenbendazole)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1138

blackghost
10-02-2003, 09:51 AM
I read that Tinidzoel is also effective on hex.
I would like to know doses in water and in feed.