PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning nets question

mench
10-01-2003, 05:59 PM
OK just a question...how does everyone keep their nets all nice and nasties free??? What do ya soak them in,or do ya use a new net for every tank....I was going to use a bucket with some PP in it,but not sure how much pp per gal to use...any hints..or should I be using something else.
Come on all you science types let's hear from ya.

Thanks,

Mench

10-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Use PP-drop a couple granules into the water and stir it up...if the water's light purple, add a couple more granules-if the water's dark purple, you're set..rinse the nets in a second bucket of fresh water, or just neutralise the PP with some hydrogen peroxide..
you might want ot leave the nets in the PP overnight to make sure everything is dead...obviously you'll want to put the bucket somewhere that it can't be accessed by children or someone who doesn't understand what it is...
david

Rod
10-01-2003, 06:48 PM
I use clorine at 200 ppm. Rinse the net in tapwater before use.

I think it's important to soak the whole net including the handle when sterilizing, so a 4" deep tray is perfect rather than a bucket which often is not tall enough for the net. Remember to also wash your hands between tanks particularly between Q tanks.

At my work we use Betadine (iodine based)which also seems to work well, use the surgical version rather than the hand cleaner version as it has detergent in it. It does tend to discolor the net though.

Rod