PDA

View Full Version : Nasty problem

jeep
10-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Hi all,

A friend is having a bad problem with what seems to be a nasty bacteria that I'll assume came from her wet/dry filter, which had not been cleaned in some time.

75g tank with 30- 4" discus (a lot) with a large (200g capacity) wet/dry filter.

This problem attacked 4 of her discus and in a matter of a day, the eyes of the fish were being eaten away. I think 2 fish eventually died and the others seems to lost an eye. The problem also seems to have spread to another tank, either airborne or from a hose. No new arrivals within the past 3+ months.

I suggested keeping the temp at 82 and for her to increase water changes at 100% the first day and maintain 50% W/C per day, add salt at 1 TBS per gallon, plus add Furan-2 (double dose on day one and continue regular dose for another 5 days).

Does this sound like the correct proceedure? It seems to be under control but not eliminated. I'm not too familiar with the details on meds and don't want to give the wrong advise.

Thanks, Brian

Carol_Roberts
10-04-2003, 04:51 PM
That sounds like a good start to me. She has a 75 gallon tank and a 20 gallon wet/dry?

ps Discus like to eat eyes of already (or nearly) dead fish.

jeep
10-04-2003, 06:26 PM
The wet/dry is large enough for a 200 gallon tank. I think that's what she said.

Unfortunately, she just told me that 10 more discus died. This sounds terrible. I could see if it came in with some new arrivals, but the last new ones were over 3 or 4 months ago.

Whatever this is, fungus or bacteria, it is eating the eyes out of living fish.