PDA

View Full Version : Fixing an 84 Gal

Smooth
10-04-2003, 05:28 PM
I have an 84 Gal soon to be discus tank, the dimensions are 60x18x18.

A little history, I bought this tank well used, and there was a metal grate on it when I purchased it. I took it home, and safe to say there was a lot of rust on the top of the glass. I scraped it all down, got it all except maybe 3 inches left, and crack. The front glass broke, a big crack.

So I took it to a guy in town that would do tank repairs, and he put in a whole new piece of glass, and re siliconed the whole tank. He added some top support braces too. So I built my stand, and wanted to make sure that this thing wouldn't leak, and crack, the bottom pane of glass broke about 1 inch into the side to 2-3 inches into the front. You can imagine my frustration. I rushed into it, and forgot to lay a flat peice of plywood on the stand, and I was about 2-3 mm off level, this is what I think caused the break.

So I talked to the guy I had orignally fix the tank, and he said that if I cleaned it off really well, and just layed some silicon over the cracked bottom, it would be fine. I have done this, but have yet to try it out. I'm sure it will hold water, but do you think that one day I'm going to come home with a broken tank? Will it still be strong, or should I replace the whole bottom? Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

10-04-2003, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't do it:a) for the reason you mentioned-coming home to a big mess...b) you said you're putting discus in there-if you're going to make the investment for some nice discus why risk them?? better to spend the money for a replacement pane of glass and do it right...
david