PDA

View Full Version : Undergravel or substrate heaters???

Larry Grenier
10-08-2003, 02:05 PM
I'm about to set-up a 55 gallon planted tank. This is my ffirst time at being serious about a nice planted tank. What's the scoop on substrate heaters? Are they a good idea or what. You opinions for this brown thumb would be appreciated. BTW, this will have a small number of small fish and maybe a few angels but no discus.

ChloroPhil
10-08-2003, 02:24 PM
I generally feel that undergravel heaters aren't necessary. I've never used them and tend to think my plants have done alright.

If you've got one, great, go ahead and use it. If you don't have one, use the money on better lighting or substrate.

Larry Grenier
10-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Thanx Biotypical

Just got out of reef tanks so I have lighting out the wazoo ;D

drew22to375
10-09-2003, 06:52 PM
From what I have noticed with the substrate heaters is you end up with better growth of the root structure and the plants do grow a little better, but Its hard to really compensate the high price of the heaters. Unless the prices com down Its probably not worth it.

Abercrombie6202
10-09-2003, 07:57 PM
I've never used one, but i'd like to get one. if you have the money to spend, then buy it!! It's good to always try new things!!

swvadiscus
02-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Make sure you check the heater voltage before you buy them.

The 120 volt systems are cheaper, but I myself would feel safer with a transformer to step that voltage down a bit.......

FischAutoTechGarten
02-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Substrate heaters are dirt cheap now. The 120V 300Watt Azoo's can be had for about $34. Temp Controllers as low as $20. I was scared for the longest time, but reasoned I have all of my aquarium related stuff on dedicated GFCI outlets. There may be as great a chance of a Transformer shorting out Primary to Secondary and having the full 120V go through low voltage cables, as there is in the 120V cables breaking down.

Just the other day I busted an older 100Watt glass heater in one of my 29breeders while installing it. I didn't notice that I had. About 10 minutes later I broke my own rule about sticking my hand in my tank without hitting the switch that powers down my heater circuit (I was only re-fastening a Worm cone to the side that I knocked down while feeding CBW). A rare slip on my part..I always kill the heaters before sticking my hand in the water. I got a mild tingly shock, but nothing greater. Of course I had thick rubber soled shoes and wasnt' touching anything else. Barefeet it would be a different story, though I would hope the GFCI would trip in that instance. I'm going to install a rubber runner as well, just incase one of my HangOnBox filters shorts.

That said, I will use the Azoo cables, but only reach in after shutting off heater circuit. ALWAYS! And of course it will be on a GFCI as well.

rdeis
02-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Best argument for substrate heaters I've read says that they make little difference in the short term, but they lengthen the life of the substrate.

The authors said that they'd had several fantastic plant tanks, but each one had hit a hard-crash point after it had been running undisturbed for 6+ months. They reasoned that the substrate chemestry changed over time so that micronutrients were either used up or no longer bioavailable. For some reason it seemed that they couldn't fix the problem by adding sticks or laterite balls or whatever as amendments to the substrate.

Their last tank, now several years old, is set up the same as the previous ones, but with a substrate heater, and has never experienced the problem. They assert that the heater causes a gentle circulation that changes the chemistry situation in the substrate and kept the micronutrients regenerating somehow.

According to that article, then, the main benefit wasn't dramatic improvement in plant health or growth, but rather very long term stability in the tank. They suggested that a tank that is rearranged frequently might have the substrate stirred up enough by all the activity to avoid the problem as well, which would mask any benefit the heater might provide.

I don't understand it all, (and don't use one myself) but after reading it it seemed to me that most of the arguments I'd read which dismiss the supposed benefits of one didn't adress the ideas he was talking about.

I think the article was in the plant section of the Krib?

shalu
02-12-2004, 03:52 PM
I use the 200w Azoo 120V in my 100g tank(plus a 100w submersible). While I don't know if it helped the plant growth in any way, it does heat the tank nicely :-)

Don_Lee
02-13-2004, 01:11 AM
I would not bother if it were me, unless you have $ burning a hole in your pocket. There are lots of other things to spend $ on that will give you more results IMO.

Don

FischAutoTechGarten
02-13-2004, 10:05 AM
I'm going to throw this out....We ought to be careful advising him one way or the other if we personally haven't actually used these cables.

Money is not an issue..they are dirt cheap now...cheaper than those titanium heaters.

swvadiscus
02-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Just a quick note....never depend on that ground fault..they should be there....but always treat it like its not........kinda like an unloaded gun ......you may still get several cycles of juice before it trips...... :yikes:

Don_Lee
02-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Good point ODwyer, my recommendation does not come from personal experience. I had considered trying a substrate cable heater and did quite a bit of reading on it, particularly on Aquatic Plants Digest.
One good thing that I have heard about the substrate cables is that they warm the tank well.

Don

ChloroPhil
02-15-2004, 11:14 AM
A word of caution with substrate cables. They're not intended to heat an aquarium or be a substitute for a heater. Their purpose is to create a convection current within the substrate to circulate water around the roots in an attempt to keep it enriched with nutrients and fresh water. They are most practical and useful in tanks with sterile substrates, plain gravel, over a Laterite base.

If Azoo's making a system for under $60.00 it can't hurt to try them if you're setting up a tank.

M0oN
02-15-2004, 10:21 PM
I've heard they can make it painstakingly hard to move plants after they've taken hold...

Seems like a lot of money just to see better growth in your plants...I'd rather invest it in lighting and co2 injection.

Wahter
02-15-2004, 10:49 PM
If you're interest is to keep the plants' roots warm, having the tank on a sheet of styrofoam will help insulate the bottom of the tank (and it's good padding if the stand isn't 100% straight).