PDA

View Full Version : using sponge filters in the sump

drew22to375
10-08-2003, 04:41 PM
I am setting up a 125 BB. And was wondering if I place the sponge filters in the sump if it would be just as effective as placing it in the main tank. Or would I need them at all with a wet/dry with the bio balls.?

korbi_doc
10-13-2003, 02:45 PM
;D ;D I see that you're getting no answers, so here goes. I have a 90g with a wet/dry with bioballs also. I have 2 sponge filters inside the tank, 1 in ea corner for the tank itself, & then add others as back-ups for emergencies to quick start another tank. I have put sponges for the AC filters in the sump part where the pump is, in order to establish the bacteria ahead of time & then place them in their own filter. This helps quick start also. Haven't used the 1st part of the sump where the intake water comes in, cuz I can't reach it. I don't see any reason why a sponge filter cannot be placed in the compartments if there's room, & the airline for the filter can reach. It will still act as a bio-filter & will still need to be cleaned often, same as if in tank, but won't show. I couldn't put my 2 lg ones in my sump, not enough room, 1 might work, but I have potted amazon swords, hide the sponges behind, & you know even when out in open, I never seem to notice them cuz I'm really looking at the fish. Just MHO, HTH, Dottie ::) ::)

drew22to375
10-14-2003, 05:01 PM
Thankx for the info. I think I'll go ahead and put some in there for just in case I need them.