PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Carbon Block

fshngal
10-09-2003, 09:08 AM
Does anyone out there have any input regarding commercial carbon blocks, 14" by 50" fiberglass vessel for chloramine removal?

RandalB
10-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Extremely low flow rate and it just might work...

RandalB

fshngal
10-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Yes, the calculated flow rate is 4 gpm over two, 14" by 50" carbon filters.

The water filtration company (USF) will be at my hatchery Friday to review and plan the installation of these filters.

Jeff
10-09-2003, 01:37 PM
I have 20" carbon blocks from Randal that work great at a high flow rate. Are you sure 4 gpm will cut it? That would frustrate me.

fshngal
10-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Hi Jeff,

What do you mean by high flow rate? I am told by the vendor that the 4gpm flow rate coming out over 2 x 50" carbon blocks == 9 minute contact time of water with the carbon. Does this equate???

Jeff
10-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Well with my unit I can fill 550 gallons of dechlorinated water in about 45 minutes.

RandalB
10-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Jeff,
She's working with chloramines. You need very long contact time w/ activated carbon to significantly reduce the Chloramine levels.

RandalB

Jeff
10-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Ah, ok I see what you mean. My mistake. ::)

jeep
10-10-2003, 08:01 AM
Jeff,
She's working with chloramines. You need very long contact time w/ activated carbon to significantly reduce the Chloramine levels.
RandalB

Other than the extended contact time, is there any difference in this type of filter. Is it just carbon block or is it some sort of DI hybrid?

Brian

fshngal
10-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Jeff,

This afternoon, a technician will be at the hatchery for evaluation. I will be asking many questions and will also be getting a quote that should have everything clearly outlined. When I receive further info I will update the thread.

These questions are excellent.

Thank you,
Mary

Jeff
10-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Cool. Thanks Mary. How many gallons of fish do you have?

fshngal
10-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Dear Jeff,

Total right now is about 2000 gallons not including 300 gal holding.

M

Jeff
10-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Awesome, ya know were are gonna need pics. ;D

Steve_Warner
10-11-2003, 02:02 PM
The water filtration company (USF) will be at my hatchery Friday to review and plan the installation of these filters.

Hi all,
Mary, is this US Filter that you are referring to? Just curious

Steve

RandalB
10-11-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm just wondering how much that cost...

RandalB

breed_beyond
10-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Maybe Micheal Heppner can tell us a little about his setup, we live in the same area and both have chloramines and he has a big carbon block that looks like a oxegen tank all incoming water goes through that with no other adititives like prime etc. No water storage either just straght tap.

fshngal
10-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Hello all,

US Filter came to visit. They will be installing two, 14" round cylinders, 50" high. Each cylinder deposit is $250. Then you can pay when you need them replaced or the monthly plan and they just come in six months and replace them. The suggested change out is 6-12 months otherwise there can be bacteria problems.

The carbon is extremely fine mesh acid washed. I think he said the acid washed carbon will bring down the ph so I can work with it. Also, they will be installing a water mixer (hot/cold) with a two degree differential either way. The system will run at a continuous water temperature. You can also opt to use the shower type water mixer but the temperature differential is 20 degrees(too risky). It will run at 4 gpm into the hatchery where it will then be broken down by connection to each rack for drip or running water. The breeder racks of course will have an RO mix with a water purity sensor and may be run consistent or in intervals.

This will give me the ability to run fresh water to the fry/juve's all the time. I am anticipating their water will be fully changed two times per day within a 12 hour period.

The total is somewhere around $1K. The cylinders if run 24/7 are expected to last 6 months. Mr. Anderson is going to run some water testing in his service center and we will review the results next week.

I will try to answer any questions as best I can.

Thanks,
Mary

Pat_in_NC
10-12-2003, 12:20 AM
Hi Mary,

Please let us all know how it works out. I think more than a third of us here have chloramine treated water and this if it works would be a big big help. The key is whether these cannisters will really remove ammonia for six months running thousands of gallons a week.

When you get the test results I would suggest you compare the product water with the input tap water for the following:

1) ammonia
2) pH (does the acid washed carbon drop the pH?)
3) conductivity/hardness (do the cannisters remove any other ions beside ammonia and chlorine?)

If these cannisters really work I think you might find a whole lot of people here will be pretty excited (I know I will be)!

Pat

fshngal
10-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Dear Pat,

I will keep the thread posted as things progress. Thank you for the input regarding what parameters should be tested. My list is getting longer, ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, GH, KH, TDS. I expect to also run testing for immediate usage water and 24 hours after.

Hopefully, this is going to work out. My business plan is long-term(10 year) and the cost analysis of using this treatment realizes costs savings in many ways, ie, water changes, chemicals, mixing, heating, labor, water usage, sewage usage.

More important than all of the above comes the main business priority-- the best water at all times for the fish. Nothing else really matters but the water.

Hopefully, within the next six months I will have the water priority taken care of and then be able to move onto mastery of breeding the fish. I am not in any hurry to sell fry or juve's. Of course, I am looking forward to that day.

Thanks,
Mary

fshngal
10-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Hello,

Update to thread as promised. The installation will be in the next 7-10 days.

The system consists of 2- 3.6 CF Carbon Tanks, pre-filter, post-filter, temp control valve two degree variance, leak detector, solenoid shut-off, plumbing and installation at a little less than $2k for the complete initial installation.

The water Quality : 0 ppm Chloramines and Ammonia with an average ph of 7.0 as stated on contract.

One carbon tank will be changed out every six months at a cost of $250. Then quarterly changes to pre and post filters with minimal cost.

Discus, Angel breeders and wild fish will use the above water mixed with RO.

Any questions, please ask.

Thanks,
Mary

Jeff
10-20-2003, 07:22 PM
Good post Mary. Keep us updated.

fshngal
10-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Hello all,

David Lim's fish is gorgeous. I want a couple of those.

Update on the water system.

Today was the day and the system is installed. I have attached some pictures for you to see. Right now, I am running off the initial water for a couple hours to lower the ph to 7.0. Will be doing the water tests after one hour of water runoff.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer as best I can. Although we have some extremely knowledgeable resident water people whom may have a more technical answer than I.

Here are the pics --

fshngal
10-30-2003, 08:31 PM
The pre-filter, tops of two carbon tanks and post filter.

fshngal
10-30-2003, 08:33 PM
The tanks -- they are huge. Let's hope they work.

fshngal
10-30-2003, 08:37 PM
top and middle rows of 29 gallon, 15 tank rack to be plumbed for incoming water.

Of course, my babies and a couple pairs that are practicing to become breeders.

Thankyou,
Mary

Pat_in_NC
10-31-2003, 08:27 AM
Wow Mary--Looks Impressive! I didn't realize just how big those tanks are.
Great pics of the system and tanks. The prefilter must just be a 1 or 5 micron sediment filter-- but what is in the small post filter housing?

I can't wait to hear about your results!

Pat

fshngal
10-31-2003, 02:35 PM
Pat,

The pre-filter is a standard 5 micron and the post-filter is 1 micron. I am sorry but do not have any other partculars.

So far, the ph is too high and that is because they needed to prewash the carbon. So---- they are prewashing two other cylinders over the weekend and will be delivering them on Monday.

US Filter is really great to work with and very knowledgeable about water. This is defininitely the system to use. No chemicals, additives, nothing added just plain old filtered water.

The ph will run at 7.0 and they will test before delivering the new tanks on Monday. Last nights tests were, 234 microseimens on the TDS and 0 ammonia.

Thank you,
Mary

fshngal
10-31-2003, 02:35 PM
Pat,

The pre-filter is a standard 5 micron and the post-filter is 1 micron. I am sorry but do not have any other partculars.

So far, the ph is too high and that is because they needed to prewash the carbon. So---- they are prewashing two other cylinders over the weekend and will be delivering them on Monday.

US Filter is really great to work with and very knowledgeable about water. This is defininitely the system to use. No chemicals, additives, nothing added just plain old filtered water.

The ph will run at 7.0 and they will test before delivering the new tanks on Monday. Last nights tests were, 234 microseimens on the TDS and 0 ammonia.

Thank you,
Mary