PDA

View Full Version : Breeding tank lighting

remikz
10-09-2003, 09:39 AM
I have a breeding tank set up and a pair of discus, before I move the pair into the tank though, i would like some advice about lighting, at the moment the tank has a 20w Hagen -aqua-glo tube in which is a lot brighter than i would have liked.

I understand that no light is the best way to keep breeding pairs of discus and that direct sunlight should be the only source, but even with Direct sun light the tank seems far to dark to me.

Does anyone have any tips or comments on how to light this tank or what to do?

thanks

--Ian

shamsoo
10-09-2003, 12:02 PM
I dont have any lights over breeding tanks, just 2 40w flourescent lights on roof

remikz
10-10-2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks shamsoo,

I keep my tank in my bedroom and only have a standard room light bulb in the center, not really enough to light up the tank when it's dark and daylight doesn't seem too bright. Does this matter to the fish, i don't want them to be lethargic and ergo jumpy when i try to feed/wc them.

--Ian

Carol_Roberts
10-10-2003, 11:50 PM
I leave a small lamp or night light on all the time - tank lights off when breeding

BlueBull
10-15-2003, 08:39 PM
IN my breeding tank I noticed that whenever the tank's flourescent light is switched on, one of the Discus will cower in a corner looking really scared. The other is fine.

When the light is switched off, both will swim freely.

Both Discus were fine in the big Discus tank with lights switched on or off.

Any idea why?

McGilly
10-21-2003, 06:35 PM
If you have your lights on tmers or leave them on 24/7 they know what to expect each day, no suprise wake up calls. As far as cowering in the corner he may be more light sensitive or he just wakes up on the wrong side of the bed.

Jeff

10-22-2003, 07:22 AM
I leave a small lamp or night light on all the time - tank lights off when breeding

Hi Carol,
Just a quick question.
Why do you turn the tank lights off when breeding?
Ed

shamsoo
10-22-2003, 12:23 PM
somewhere I read discus is cave breeder they like semi darkness, thats why I wrapped blue plastic on three sides no light over tank just roof light, in the night 5 watt night bulb my pairs are so trained, by seeing nightbulb on, they start herding their babies to corner after 10-15 minutes I switchoff main lights

Carol_Roberts
10-23-2003, 12:17 AM
They startle with the lights going off and on and are more likely to eat the eggs/babies