PDA

View Full Version : More Q's from nooB me!!

MonkeeFish
10-13-2003, 01:37 AM
I have been reading the disaster posts and wut i noticed is "QT" exactly wut does it mean by "QT" my tank and how do you do it. Can someone in detail tell me how this whole QT works. also this site contains tooo much knownledge and these knowledge is coming at a cause and the cause is "Headache" from hours of reading.

thank you
johnny ;D

Keith.L
10-13-2003, 01:54 AM
Hi Johnny,

I think "QT" means Quarantine. Basically it's keeping new arrivals in a separate environment until they are "proven" not to carry diseases.

For details, visit the "Disease/Sickness and Medication" section or click the following:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1025

Hope this helps,
-Keith 031013

Keith.L
10-13-2003, 02:07 AM
Here is another one: "Quarantine Tanks ...some observations and thoughts.." by brewmaster15 (the Board Administrator)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=13213

April
10-13-2003, 02:14 AM
hi there...the best thing you can do if you can..if your just starting out is get all your discus in one new group from one person or place. no getting some here and some there and adding them togeather. this can spell disaster. and disasters you do not need when your just starting out.
we;ve all experienced disease at one point. but if your new...to discus...it can be totally overwhelming and discouraging and can mean the difference between carrying on or not.
you need a hospital or quarantine tank and separate hoses and washing hands inbetween etc.
hope this helps. and welcome to simply. :wave:
when i first started reading forums..i felt like id never retain all the info. but as you keep reading daily.it gets repeated and it starts to make more sense.

MonkeeFish
10-13-2003, 02:44 AM
by everyone saying dripping the fish into "methelyne blue". does that really means like actually dripping the fish in there like grab it by the tail and put him in there and pull him out ???? sorry making it sound like mistreating the fish!!! not shure how to put it : )

April
10-13-2003, 03:52 AM
no....adding him to meth blue treated water. with a net...
can you tell us a bit about what you have now and what kind of tank you will have etc?
maybe we can help you more if we know what size tank , ho many fish you have or if you are planning to get more.

MonkeeFish
10-13-2003, 04:23 PM
Discus-ZERO
Tank Size-29 Gallon
HTH
Juss trying to get all the knowledge i can about this hobby before i get into it. So i dont ruin myself and end up crying along the road

April
10-13-2003, 04:31 PM
ok....what are the chances of you finding a 60 gallon tank...or bigger?
all you need is a tank. bare bottom and a cycled sponge filter and a heater at this point.
you can start witha 29 for 6 or so 2 inch fish but you need 10 gallons per fish when they grow.
and to get goood growth and no fighting...

MonkeeFish
10-13-2003, 06:17 PM
i can get a 55 or 60 but the thing is i do not have space for that size tank. that's why im stuck wit a 29 which is aiite for now i guess. also where can i get a reliable submersible pump for a reasonable price????