PDA

View Full Version : MOOD BARS!!!!

Abercrombie6202
10-14-2003, 06:53 PM
Okay, well my San merah X RT cross has been changing from no lines to think dark brown mood bars! Why?

usually this is during feeding, but when i got home from school today he was like this too

Tkuemmet
10-14-2003, 08:31 PM
dude, you cant be such a hypochondriac about your fish, you have to learn what is a symptom and what is just fish behavior, and you cant cry wolf about everything

JMO!

Debbie
10-15-2003, 01:21 AM
Hi Adam, the bars go away? Don't worry, re;ax and enjoy your fish. If the bars are always there then you may have a problem but discus will bar up temporarily for may reasons, could be that they didn't like the person that walked near their tank. I had a couple that barred up every time the cat would sit in a chair in front of the tank.

10-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Here is a bit I posted on annother site.

""
The so called Stress Bars could also be called Communication Bars.
The appear (disappear) for many different reasons.
Such as: Territorial behavior, Pairing behavior, Sickness,
Rank behavior, and so on. Some of the combinations are know and others are not.

To find out exactly why they appear as they do you will have to observe the Fish very closely during various times. Feeding and so on, as well as observer the parameters of the water.

There was a Old Time Breeder (one of the Pioneers) which had made some studies on that, but unfortunate I can’t remember who it was. I also don’t have that particular book anymore. was written in German anyway.""

To be clear. The bars indicate not only sickness !!!!!!!!!!!
It can be a indication of something being wrong, but you must also take other things into considerration. Water parameters, colour, eating behavior and so on.

hth Ronald

ps I have taken out a part that referred to someone’s else fish.
Don't want to confuse anyone lol.

Abercrombie6202
10-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Oh well, it only really has dark bars, during feeding time and shows the least aggresion. It is the smallest one, but not runt looking, just younger and gets pecked by the other two. I also noticed that it had bars during feeding time then i moved the lgihts above and they went away quickly!

Pick
10-15-2003, 04:35 PM
There will (almost) always be a low man on the pecking order that ends up eating less and staying smaller. That's the way God made them. Unless it becomes obvious that the low man is getting killed by the others or has it's belly caved in because of not enough (not just less than the others) food, then just spend as much time as you can watching them and learning their behavior.

TC

Abercrombie6202
10-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice :) I'll watch them more foten to see what they usualy act like :)