PDA

View Full Version : what type of sand?

Ryan
10-15-2003, 08:04 AM
I went to Home Depot this morning to look for some sand. I know a lot of people recommend silica sand from pool supply stores, but I figured maybe Home Depot would carry it.

Well, I found something called "Premium Grade Play Sand" that comes in a 50lb bag and is white. It says it has been "sanitized and cleaned, making it safe for playgrounds, cat litter boxes, flower gardens, and more." Is this stuff okay? The whole 'sanitized' thing kept me from buying it because it didn't tell me what it'd been sanitized with, or what kind of sand it was for that matter.

Should I try to find a pool store for the silica, or is the stuff at Home Depot any good? Any suggestions?

Ryan

ChloroPhil
10-15-2003, 08:39 AM
The stuff from Home Depot tends to be too fine. It will compact and create problems with anaerobic areas.

Pool Filter sand is usually better, try asking the sales associate for #2 or #3 grain (2 or 3 mm). That's the best stuff for our use.

Paulio
10-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Phil,

Great info.

Ryan,

Better hurry ;)

Paul

Ryan
10-15-2003, 09:56 PM
I broke down and went to a pool supply store. Neither Home Depot nor Lowe's had pool filter sand. They had play sand and mortar mix sand/cement mix sand. The play sand looked really fine. There was another type that was dirt cheap (no pun intended) called "SAND" (LOL) but it looked dirty and I wasn't thrilled.

So, the sand at Home Depot (play sand) was $2.00, give or take, per 50 pounds. And the sand at the pool place? $9.98 per 50 pounds! I almost died. But I bit my lip and bought it anyway.

So now I'm adding it to an existing bare bottom tank. Looks like it's gonna be messy at first. *crosses fingers*

Ryan

Debbie
10-16-2003, 12:39 AM
That is really the best sand. Worth the extra $$$$$.

RyanH
10-20-2003, 08:09 PM
With that pool filter sand is it necessary to rinse or sanitize it before it goes into the tank?

I would think it would be a good idea at the very least just to get out some of the finer silt particles that may suspend in the water.

Debbie
10-20-2003, 09:32 PM
It's been a while but rinsing is always a good idea. I don't think sanitizing is necessary.

lesley
10-28-2003, 03:50 AM
do you guys think you could use coral sand or sea sand to raise the Kh of the water?

thanks, Lesley

ChloroPhil
10-28-2003, 09:00 AM
Lesley,

Coral sand would raise the KH and pH way too much. If you're looking for something to bufer KH a little, add a small piece of coral or small bag of aragonite to your filter. Anything more than that is too much.

Harriett
10-28-2003, 02:45 PM
I've been thinking of setting up another tank with a sand bottom. The only thing I am unclear about is cleaning it once it's in the tank. Is my python just going to suck it up and out? How do you sand bottom officianados keep it clean and not lose it while cleaning please?
Thanks and best regards,
Harriett

limige
10-29-2003, 07:52 AM
ryan, $10 too much?!! have you priced out gravel in the past 20 yrs???? lol
comparitively speaking...i know.

what do you think of the filter sand, i'm thinking of doing the same on my 180 here very shortly!

rdeis
11-26-2003, 11:50 AM
I've been thinking of setting up another tank with a sand bottom. The only thing I am unclear about is cleaning it once it's in the tank. Is my python just going to suck it up and out? How do you sand bottom officianados keep it clean and not lose it while cleaning please?

I'll second that question, because I'd like to use sand as well.

Terry
11-30-2003, 04:10 AM
I have pool sand in my tank.no problem what so ever you just have to replace some every now and again. cos when you do water changes it will be sucked out.

Terry :) :)

Paulio
11-30-2003, 04:11 PM
Toy R' Us. White play sand 50# bag $3.99 Bag says sifted, cleaned and sterilized. I have seen the same product seasonaly at Walmart and Target stores. You can also use sandblasting sand. It comes in several grains and colors too ;D

Paul

Danse
02-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Will Pool Filter sand work with under gravel filter and power heads?