PDA

View Full Version : Co2 and Discus

tarzan
10-17-2003, 04:44 AM
Hi there!

Ok, i have a plan in setting up a 80gal aquarium, with some of my adult Discus.. The aquarium is going to be heavy planted, and therefore im going pH-controlled Co2 + good lights.

Now, does the Co2 have any effect on the fish or my waterchanges ? I know that a Co2 system will try to get the pH down to 7.0, but my tap water is 7.5, and 8.0 aged!

Should i add acid to my barrel, so i get pH matching my tank's pH 7.0?

ChloroPhil
10-17-2003, 08:34 AM
Tarzan,

CO2 wont' have any effect on your water changes or fish, and no, you don't want to add acids to your aquarium. I should say, it won't affect your fish if dosed in the proper amounts. :)

Your pH monitor is going to control the CO2 input based on a ratio of Carbonate Hardness and pH. Messing with the pH will throw the ratio off.

What you're going to really want to do is add your fertilizers to your water in the aging barrels rather than straight into your tank. That should help you out a lot.

Best,
Phil

tarzan
10-17-2003, 09:36 AM
ok, great! thanx for that.. but still, my tank's pH will be different from the tap water.. thats not good, right? :-\

ChloroPhil
10-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Yes, you pH will be different, usually lower, with CO2 than just out of the tap. It's not a bad thing though. I keep my pH at 6.1-6.3 in the tank and it's 6.6 out of the tap.

As long as the pH in the tank is relatively stable you're going to be fine.