PDA

View Full Version : Baby dying 1per/day

reef
10-17-2003, 05:18 AM
Hi guys, recently I post about suspect albinoes baby. Turn out most start to show red colouration like mom, a Rose red. Had them transferred to a 40 gal tank from a 15 Gallon one with dad at about 3 weeks after free swimming.

Now they are about 5 weeks old. Since 8 days ago I have 1 dead baby a day.
I practise 50% daily water change mostly in the late night. The weather here have been cooler the past 2 weeks due to the almost daily rain. So today I got a heater to stop or minmize the fluctuations to within 29c to 30c.

I also feed them chopped frozen bloodworm and crushed tetrabits 6 times a day.

This my tank setup :

40 gallon tank.
1 overhead filter
1 sponge filter
temp : 29 ~ 30c with heater, without heater 26 ~ 30c
ph : 6.7, after w/c 7.0

The ph drop is gradual during a 24hrs cycle until b4 the next water change.
I hope u guys can help out bcoz I'm left with over 60+ fries. And if things is as it is, I only left with the same amount of days b4 all is gone.

Hope tommorrow morning I will not see another dead fry.

Carol_Roberts
10-18-2003, 12:12 AM
At that age probably gill flukes, but maybe bacterial gill infection. Either way formalin should help. 1 cc or ml per 10 gallons. Eight hours later do a 50% water change. If this helps repeat every other day for 14 days.

reef
10-18-2003, 10:27 AM
carol, the heater help a bit since no new death. So I did 50% w/c and add a locally produced med which says will eliminate gill flukes. It looks like potassium permanganate solution. By evening see 1 fry dying. Anyway did another 50% w/c and add the required amt of the purple solution. Read in DPHnet PP not good for fry. Let's see what happens.

About the formalin, I can't find it at my LFS. Any other med can recommend.

OEG
10-18-2003, 09:32 PM
You can try getting fluke tabs at your local fish store, most of your mail order companies like foster and smith, big al, that fish place will have the formalin you need.
Oscar

CARY_GLdiscus
10-19-2003, 12:59 AM
Add on more filtration and keep it clean! ;)

NTORIUSB
10-21-2003, 07:12 PM
If you use PP there is a more than good chance you'll fry the fry's gills.... Should only use on fish larger than 3 inches as a rule of thumb... From what I've been told...

Good luck!!! I think the Ph fluctuation could be a little bit of stress they don't need too!!! Maybe try to age your water for w/c for 24 hrs...

Good idea with the heater....

B

limige
10-22-2003, 05:43 AM
so any luck yet?!

cary's the man, make sure the tank is large enough and clean!!

reef
10-26-2003, 03:38 AM
After no change using PP, I switch to deworming them. After not much change in situation I start using prazi. 24hrs later white string-like poop start coming out. So far no new death. What puzzles me is prior to the problem they are only with dad. Maybe Dad might carry those tapeworms. Have dad and mom on prazi too today. So far both parents are healthy and no white string-like poop.By the way parents now in another breeding tank.

Will monitor closely and update.

reef
10-28-2003, 02:05 AM
It is confirm the poop is tapeworm. Manage to help one unfortunate fry to get rid tapeworm dangling out by pulling it out. Eventually 3 worms came out from that.

Now the question, where the hell they got infested from?

They have never been fed anything live yet except BBS I cultured. Dad and Mom already on 48th hour of prazi treatment and looks ok. They even spawned during 2nd half of treatment. Now not sure any ill effect to the eggs.

Anyway I've started prazi on all fishes I have.

limige
10-28-2003, 08:46 AM
wow, that's strange i have no clue....
are they still eating well?

reef
10-30-2003, 11:24 AM
All are eating well. And no casualties for a few days already. Anyway I'm repeating the prazi treatment this Saturday as instructed.

Anyway monitoring on them very closely.

Will see if anymore tapeworms appears in 2nd treatment.

I guess will learn something new everyday.

reef
11-01-2003, 09:46 PM
These are pics of parents with new batch (less than 10 fries).

reef
11-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Another pic of parent, some fries on dad's dorsal.

reef
11-01-2003, 09:51 PM
And the fries I treated with prazi. Now 6 weeks old.