PDA

View Full Version : Growing out discus in BB

Dissident
10-17-2003, 12:30 PM
Setup:
2x25gal 24x12x16, hanging filters for 60gal aquariums on each. One tank will be kept as a sick tank. The other for growing out a few discus untill I want to put them in a 55gal planted. I am hopeing to learn more about keeping these fish before i dump them into a planted setup. Regular feeding water changes and cleaning will be a lot easier in a BB to start off with I think. How many juvies can i grow out in a 25gal with the above deminsions?

Drummore
10-17-2003, 04:44 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=9911
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=7983

Carol_Roberts
10-17-2003, 07:20 PM
It depends on the size of the discus. It's important to keep babies in groups of 6 or more. You could easily house 6 two inch discus in that tank for a couple of months. It will soon grow too crowded. You could then transfer all 6 to the 55 gallon planted tank, but they most likely will stop growing. A 55 gallon bare tank is perfect to grow out 6 or 8 babies.

Another option is to buy a pair of fully grown adults for your planted tank.

Dissident
10-17-2003, 11:27 PM
It depends on the size of the discus. It's important to keep babies in groups of 6 or more. You could easily house 6 two inch discus in that tank for a couple of months. It will soon grow too crowded. You could then transfer all 6 to the 55 gallon planted tank, but they most likely will stop growing. A 55 gallon bare tank is perfect to grow out 6 or 8 babies.

Another option is to buy a pair of fully grown adults for your planted tank.

I still might get a pair of adults for the planted but I really like the idea of growing them out from juvies and learning more about the species. Also I did decide to get a 55gal (used) from a local petstore and clean it up nice. I have the room and extra equipment minus a good filter but I'll probably upgrade the one for the planted and use the 2whisper's that I have for the 55gal BB. IMO it would be more fun, plus where I am setting up the tank BB I have easy access to water and storage to keep up on the water changes for a BB.

BTW what would be a good size for a sick-tank if I plan to keep 6-8 Discus?

Carol_Roberts
10-17-2003, 11:42 PM
The 25 is a good size for a hospital/QT tank