PDA

View Full Version : used marine tank/filter for discus

bobcat
10-17-2003, 10:59 PM
Hi all,
I got a used 65 gal and emperor 400 biowheel HOB filter from a marine hobbist. How would you do to prepare this tank for discus. Can I keep the biowheel or I need to replace with the new one.
Vincent

Paulio
10-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Vincent,

Soak the biowheel in 10/1 water and bleach solution over night. Rinse very well and then soak in water with dechlor. Fill the tank most of the way and dump a few gallons of vinegar in it. The weak acid will help get rid of the water hardening goodies that go along with a salt tank.

hth
Paul

bobcat
10-17-2003, 11:27 PM
Paul
The Ex owner cleaned it up pretty good before he hand it over. There isn't any visible salt water hardening stuff. Do I still need to do the vinega method? and what is the purpose of bleach method? I am going to do the fishless cycle on this tank/filter, So I think it will get rid of most of the fish dependant diseases, am I right or wrong about that?
Vincent

Carol_Roberts
10-17-2003, 11:38 PM
Paulio's method is a good way to disinfect a used tank.

Generally marine parasites and illnesses do not affect freshwater fish. If you are sure the tank and filter has been thoroughly cleaned then you can begin a fishless cycle.

bobcat
10-17-2003, 11:52 PM
Thanks Carols,
I will start the fishless cycle tomorrow If I can find the pure amonnia solution at my walmart which tend to sale the lemon smell one for more money.
Vincent

Paulio
10-18-2003, 01:12 AM
Ahhhh, a lucky buy. Most used marine tanks I see are loaded with salt, salt creep and even coraline algae. These things can be a bear to clean out. If the tank and filter are good and clean Carol is right. Start that cycle. Every day is a day closer to MORE DISCUS!

Paul

bobcat
10-18-2003, 11:21 PM
Thank you very much Carol and Pual.

Vincent