PDA

View Full Version : losing 100 over today :(

ping
10-18-2003, 07:37 AM
Well, i dont know how to put this. I lost my male breeding pair with 100 over fry (3 weeks old) due to heater problem. It went up to 36-40 degree C. >:( :'( BAHHHH ...

I spent 3 hours painting my new tanks and a stand to forget it. I think i over painted it. ;D
Feeling better now. It's not over yet. I still have the female.

She is with 3 other males. Hmmm .. which one is the lucky one:
1. malboro red (ex- hubby ;D)
2. malboro red (used to fight with her often)
3. PB (used to be bullied by her but he has grown up to big boy now (6.5")

I regret for selling my other 3 breeding pairs. I was worrying that i wont have time for them. Now, i have none. :)

It;s not over yet. It's just a starting . :) ;)

I will let you guys know which male is the lucky one ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for reading this. And check you heater ... ;) ;D

Regards,
Ronny

Discus_KC
10-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Ronny,

Sorry to hear about your losses !!!!!!

Refocus and produce more !!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Jack

ping
10-18-2003, 08:20 AM
Hi Jack,

Thanks. On the way buddy ... ;D ;D

Ok here is a funny one. I put those dead ones in a new tank.
Few hours later, my housemate asked me why did i do that ? Do you think that they will come back ?
Geez, they are gone already. I put it in that tank, just for the last look tonight. ;D ;D ;D

She thinks that i must be crazy already due to the lost ... :P :P ;D ;D ;D

I am focus now ..... focus to my study. :) No more breeding pair but i still have 200 ;)

I have to find new tenants for my new tanks (1000ltr) ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again Jack. :)

Regards,
Ronny

Discus_KC
10-18-2003, 08:41 AM
Ronny,

Great attitude !!!!! And you know what??? I will have this problem as well. I will lose fish too again. It won't be my fault or it could. But once their gone, their gone !!!!

I have a degree in the "Discus School of Hard Knocks" !!!!!!! But getting almost wiped out and losing fish one after another taught me that setbacks wouldn't stop my passion !!!!!

Heck, this discus drought is the longest so far !!!!! But I will be home soon enough and will start all over again !!!!!! And the best part is I have friends to help me do it !!!!!

Keep the faith !!!! I want pics of that pair that forms up !!!!!!

Jack

ping
10-18-2003, 10:29 AM
All the boys in the tank behave well coz there is a lady in the tank :bounce2: :thumbsup:
My female's breeding tube is down. ;). Hope, it will be soon ;D

My male breeding pair is at the backyard now with the kids.
Just finish counting them, 115 babies. well, he is not dissapointment me at all ;D ;D ;D

Regards,
Ronny :)

Pick
10-18-2003, 10:37 AM
Way to go Ping. If we aim for nothing, we'll hit it every time. All I have kept is one breeding pair also. I've been keeping 100W Ebo's in my 29G's because they will only take it up to 89F when on 100% of the time. But I ran out of 100's (finally crapped out) and now I have a 200W in there. Your story makes me nervous :fried:

TC

April
10-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Ronny. so sorry to hear. a shame...but it happens.
I lost one of mine with a heater that went way high also.
well i hope she chooses herself a new hubby and they get along well enough to raise up some kids. .

Tad
10-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Ronny,
Im sadden to hear of your loss :'(....I know how much your discus mean to you and how much they are part of your busy life....I have always been impressed how you can keep your chin up even in the worst of time..
I wish you the best of luck forming a new pair...

With the highest regards,
Tad

Jeff
10-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Sorry to hear Ronny.

ping
10-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Hello All,

Thanks. I am feeling alright, well a bit sad coz i will be missing water changes in breeding tank. ;D

I have decided to change my policy. I will keep at least 2 or 3 breeding pairs this time. I have around 2500 litre tanks. So should be enough for that. If one gone (touch wood, better dont say this 8)), i still have backup.

Terry, dont keep only one breeding pair, keep at least two. So that we will still be busy with fry all the time. :) I will go to Ebo Jager heater next time. I had the problem with Jager before, the heater died. Well, it is still bad, at least i wont get cooked fry. :P ;D I will get frezzed fry ;D

Now, i can paint my breeding tank at least. :) hmm paint or not ? ;D

Regards,
Ronny

jeep
10-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear that Ronny.

When someting happens that's my fault, I can accept it and kick myself. But when something as simple as a heater does this, it's even more frustrating because you did nothing wrong!

Glad you're sticking with it!

Brian

bernie82
10-19-2003, 01:08 AM
My heart goes out to you Ronnie. I hear this horror story time and again. I always use the minimum wattage for a heater. Many of my tanks have two small heaters to prevent this from happening.
In a sixty gallon tank, two 75 watt heaters is the way to go. In a 30 gallon breeding tank I'd go with a 50 watt heater or better yet two 25 watt heaters if you can find them

ping
10-19-2003, 01:27 AM
Hi Brian and Bernie,

Thanks. I am feeling alright now. Those discus are no longer in my tank but they are in my backyard, playing hide and seek. ;D

I moved the female to join the other 3 males yesterday. My PB has shown interest on her. ;D ;), I saw the female cleaning up Aquaclear intake pipe yesterday with a PB male next to her. ;D. Those two were on the other side of the tank together ;). Nothing happen so far. I am not sure yet, the PB male is not that aggressive toward others. ???

Thanks for your concern guys, i really appreciate it.
Discus are no problem at all, I can get discus anytime (not now, i cant do much with student budget ;D).
More important is to have you guys. :)

Nice idea Bernie, i will do it next time, 2 small heaters at the same tank. :thumbsup:

Best regards,
Ronny

MonkeeFish
10-19-2003, 10:23 PM
hmmm if you use two smaller heater in the same tank how do you set the tempature. Do you set them both to the desired tempature or do you have to even it out as in let say u want 87 so do you set both of them to about 43 degree?

ping
10-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Hi MonkeeFish,

If you want 87, you have to set them both ot 87. If the temperature reaches 87, both heater will be idle (set off)

I have 2 heaters in most of my tanks, to avoid the water gets colder as the heater died.
(happened twice to me >:()

But i had never thought about over heating. ;D :)
Well, something that i learn now. ;) :P ;D

I cleaned up the breeding tank, i found 4 more dead babies. That bring the total babies died up to 119.
Wowwww, at least i know that i reached 119 ;D ;D.

Regards,
Ronny

PS: i think i have to change the subject. I am not "losing 100 over today" anymore. It was few days ago. ;D ;)

MonkeeFish
10-20-2003, 06:36 PM
that ish kewl, wut heaters do you guyz recommends???