PDA

View Full Version : Pro Heat 2!!!

MonkeeFish
10-19-2003, 04:20 PM
I have been looking around the internet for a Pro heat 2. the one wit the digital tempature taker on it. Im juss wondering what's the best price out there for one?

jeep
10-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Try Superior discus or Aquacave (banner at bottom of page)

Brian

Jeff
10-20-2003, 08:04 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=8169

tony1313
10-20-2003, 09:01 PM
Hey Monkeefish,
Try http://www.kensfish.com/ , he has great prices and very reasonable shipping. Why proheatII? I use regular pro heat their half the price, the only difference is the DRO.

HTH,
Tony

Discusgeo
10-20-2003, 09:40 PM
I too just use the pro heat, I can't justify the cost for the digital part. My $1.50 thermeter takes care of that part.

Alan
10-21-2003, 12:47 PM
You can go to the links offered already. But if you still want to canvas around, go to www.google.com and type "pro heat ii price" (without the quotes, of course ;D). Then check them out.

MonkeeFish
10-22-2003, 12:12 AM
The reason why i want a pro heat 2 is because is nice to turn around and be able to see the temperature of ur time witout getting all close to the glass to see the temp on the thermometer. Other than that any other heater would work for me.

Johnny

10-22-2003, 01:32 AM
Same reason I use them Johnny ;)

Well we have to pay for being lazy lol.

Ronald

tony1313
10-22-2003, 07:36 AM
Hey Johnny and Ronald,
I would not rely on the DRO on the heater to tell me what the water temp is. If I'm not mistaken the only thing the digital read out is telling you is what you heater is set at (not the actual water temp)! So if the heater fails the DRO may give you a false reading. IMO always have a thermometer and check it occasionally.
;D
Tony

jeep
10-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Try this way. You won't even have to turn around to look at it. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CT LG%5F010%5F005%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=63%2D1026

But, it's not as good as this one http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=13296

MonkeeFish
10-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Jeep can the "wireless indoor/outdoor themometers" but use on a fish tank?

If so it looks like a gewd investment !!

samcatj
10-22-2003, 09:34 PM
Look up the site www.bigalsonline.com
Great selection and great prices.

Samcatj

10-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Thanks for that info Tony.

I assumed it showed the actual temp.
Now I gotta go and get me something fancy lol.

Brian,
I have one of those shown from radio shack.
Mine say's: dont bring probe in contact with water.
Referring to where to install it outside.
Can I still use it for Tanks ?

Ronald

jeep
10-22-2003, 11:14 PM
I wasn't aware that they were not supposed to be in contact with water. They guy at radio shack told me it would be ok though.

It's fused in plastic so I don't know why it wouldn't be ??? ???

Brian

10-23-2003, 12:02 AM
Hmmm I guess it's ok since it is use. :-\

Ronald

MonkeeFish
10-23-2003, 01:29 AM
Has anyone tried to use this in a fish tank???? Dont wanna take the risk with those lovely fishes you noe. I say go test it on some cull see if anythings happens and if not tell us and we all can get one : )

Johnny

korbi_doc
10-23-2003, 08:54 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hey Brian & Ronald, go to bigalsonline, they have the Lifeguard Temp Alert, probe & all for the tanks, 'bout the same price & looks just like the one @ the radio shack, made for water. I've been using them for 2 yrs, worth the price. Fostersmith has them too I think, good product. JMO Dottie ;D

jeep
10-23-2003, 09:08 AM
Ya, I've seen those, but I like my little toys. The kind with the remots sensors and such ;D

I actually saw a similar item during the bbq contest last year. This guy had about 5 smokers , which had wireless temp. probes reporting to a central unit. The unit displayed the temp for each smoker every 10 seconds, and had a built in alarm for radicle temp fluxuations. I thought that would be a pretty good idea for the tanks, since mine are in 3 different rooms in my house and all my glass thermometers are inaccurate.

That's what I like about Jasons unit, but the specs say it can only handle 3 remote units.

Still pretty cool though ;)

10-23-2003, 10:02 AM
Hi all,

After having a good night sleep I went to the website from Won and also looked up my Installation paper.

In both it says :
"Controller provide a digital temperature LCD display that indicates actual temperature of the water "
Referring to Pro Heat II.

What made me think was the fact that the display (LCD)
showed fluctuations such as: after light goes off the Temp dropped 0.2-0.3. Also it does not always show the exact #.
Meaning if it was only to set a tempature, that is what it should do.
If I set it to lets say at 84.5 then there should not be fluctuations on the LCD it should show 84.5.

But then again, it can't be wrong to have additional control.

Hehe Dottie,
More gadgets for me :)

Ronald

sstainback
12-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Having just set up a couple of tanks in the garage and a water storage vat, I decided to throw my 3 new $1.50 glass thermometers in the storage water. I was disapointed that they did not agree and were as much as 8 degrees different.

I started thinking and remembered that I had bought a digital temperature probe before Thanksgiving ($19.95 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond) to monitor my Turkey cooking. I have also used it since to cook liquid stuff (like fudge, YUM! :) ) which is fine according to the directions.

(Don't tell my wife, but ... ) I decide to use that to calibrate the 3 glass thermometers in the holding vat to 84. It has an alarm, so I set it to 84 and turned on the heaters; then used a sharpie pen to mark all 3 thermometers when the temp settled to 84.

This model does not have a low temperature alarm, but some may.
I wonder if this would survive long term with the probe submerged in a tank and what battery life would be like with it on full time ?

Also, It seems trivial, but is there a preferred brand of cheapo thermometer out there that might be more accurate ??? ???

Thanks,
Steve