PDA

View Full Version : regular flouresent bulbs??

knewby
10-20-2003, 01:33 AM
Could you use two spiral flourescent bulbs in a regular fixture for a planted tank?? The bulbs you use for regular lights around the house. please respond soon!!!!!!!!! Could I use them????

ChloroPhil
10-20-2003, 08:46 AM
You _can_ but you probably shouldn't. Incandescent bulbs give off an insane amount of heat for the light they produce and the light they produce isn't very strong. You'd need a really big bulb to give off enough light, and that bulb would bring your aquarium temp to around 100 *Farenheit.

Fluorescent bulbs are much better. If you've got screw in fixtures one of those screw in type Compact Fluorescent would be even better. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowe's type stores.

Paulio
10-20-2003, 10:27 AM
knewby,

I think you are talking about the compact fluorescent screw in replacement bulbs.
These are sort of deceptive. They state something like "produces 65 watts and only uses 9 watts" The watts used is the relevant number here. The output they state is as compared to incandescent bulbs. So in reality, they are only giving 9 watts as far as what we need them for. Great for the table lamp, lousy for a plant tank :-\

Paul

Dissident
10-20-2003, 02:12 PM
Could you use two spiral flourescent bulbs in a regular fixture for a planted tank?? The bulbs you use for regular lights around the house. please respond soon!!!!!!!!! Could I use them????

Tank specs? Size, volume?

In general the answer is no, unless you have it a good distance from the water and are lighting nothing more then a 10gal tank.

knewby
10-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Could someone please give me a list of sites that i could find a compact flourescent tube of atleast 60 watts. Cheap too.

Dissident
10-21-2003, 08:06 PM
http://www.inlandreef.net/powcombul1.html

ChloroPhil
10-22-2003, 08:42 AM
www.ahsupply.com is one of the best online sources of PC fixtures.
www.hellolights.com is a great place for bulbs.