PDA

View Full Version : RENA Filstar

Timinator
10-20-2003, 11:11 AM
The local guy has been trying to sell me a Rena filstar system for my tank. Anybody have this filter system and if so, is it a good one??

Your thoughts please.

Thanks,

Tim C.

Brian-pdx
10-20-2003, 02:01 PM
I've been running an xp3 for about 6 weeks so far and love it. Quiet, easy to maintain. Some of the best things are large baskets for lots of biostars, and the sides of the container are transparent, so you can see that everything is seated well. I also like the one lever hose release/shutoff that holds the siphon and doesn't dump all over the floor (if you're careful!). I did find that Petsmart.com had prices for the filter and biostars about 1/3 less than in any local store. I only have other experience with slingbacks and magnum canisters, but this is easier than either of them...

ronrca
10-20-2003, 02:52 PM
I have a Xp3 Filstar! A good filter! I have my Xp3 for at least a year now with no problems.

However, a few draw backs depending on how often you are going to be cleaning it and the purpose of the tank its filtering. Compared to a AC filter, canisters require more work to clean. Therefore, if your tank is intended for growout tank or discus only tank, Id recommend the AC filter because of ease of cleaning. My Xp3 is on my community planted tank and I only clean it when I have to (probably around 2-3 weeks). I just find it takes time to disconnect, pull it out, open the cover, remove the baskets, remove the media, clean the media, replace into baskets, replace baskets, ensure filter is full of water, replace cover, put back filter, reconnect, plug in! LOL! The AC filters are really, really simple. Remove cover, remove media, clean media, replace media, replace cover.

So, in conclusion, while the Filstar is a great canister filter, AC filters are much easier to maintain plus are much cheaper. ;)

RyanH
10-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Aquaclears are the way to go. If you have to use a canister, make sure you throw a pre-filter on the intake tube. This will save you a world of potential headaches. I swear by the filtermax III's but you can make your own out of cleaning sponges pretty easily as well.

-Ryan