PDA

View Full Version : Hydra are appearing in one of my tanks

RyanH
10-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Despite a fairly regimented glass cleaning and water changing regiment, I keep getting hydra growing on the glass of just one of my breeder tanks. They are actually quite interesting animals but I would prefer to not have them in my Discus tanks.

Anybody else ever see these in there tanks? They look like little white specs with hair-like appendages growing out of the tops of them. As far as I know they are not harmfull to the fish but I feel like all of my efforts in keeping my tanks clean just aren't enough.

Here is a close up pic...

RyanH
10-20-2003, 05:36 PM
btw, I didn't take this picture...I got it from an online biology textbook. ;D ;D ;D

This particular specimen is in the process of budding. If anyone has taken any entry level biology courses they probably made you look at these in lab. The appendages coming out of the top are used for grabbing prey. Luckily their diets do not include Discus. ;D ;D ;D

brewmaster15
10-20-2003, 05:39 PM
Flubendazole is your answer Ryan :)

-al

RyanH
10-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Thanks Brew,

Any idea where I might find a place that sells it? I've already looked around a little without much luck. (Big Al's, Jehmco, petsolutions)

Could it be under another name?

thanks ahead of time!

brewmaster15
10-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Only place selling it now in the USA that I know of is Florida Tropical fish Farms... Though Al Johnson at Rocky Mountain Discus may have some for retail.

-al

brewmaster15
10-20-2003, 05:52 PM
also..

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/hydra.html for other suggestions.

fluke tabs may also work as it contains something chemically related to flubendazole.
-al

RAWesolowski
10-20-2003, 10:12 PM
You might want to try a couple of gouramis. They love to eat the little buggers!

korbi_doc
10-21-2003, 01:16 PM
::) ::) Ryan, Call John @ Jehmco, he does have couple left (50gms). Says its getting harder to get & more expensive. But does have some, HTH Dottie ;D

RyanH
10-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Thanks Dottie!!

I'll give him a call. :)