PDA

View Full Version : PSI of household pressure

DiscusJeff
10-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Does anyone know the approx. PSI of normal household water pressure. Thanx!

Jeff

Glenn
10-21-2003, 11:17 PM
Between 65 and 90 psi.

Smokey
10-21-2003, 11:41 PM
howdy - it depends on where you live; how far from the last presser pump station, and the age of the pipes in the ground.

Old, very old pipes can not hold a pressure greater thqn 25 psi. newer " lines can handles 100 + psi. "

Remember. if you open your kitchen taps and get showered .. you have high water pressure .. lol..

Ask your local water co. , or install a pressure guage. the truth is out there .... lol......

Smokey

Mr. Limpet
10-27-2003, 01:29 AM
And, if you are at the top or bottom of a hill, it can vary alot. We are at the bottom. 116 PSI, no kidding! They tell us we should put in a regualator, but we have not had a problem in 16 years. You have to buy good quality garden hoses however. Ever seen a cheap garden hose swell up to an inch an a half? Paul.

Smokey
10-28-2003, 02:56 AM
Paul .. yup !!!! hahahaha

There are so many variables - amount of persons on line, time of day, etc. etc, etc...

Smokey
10-28-2003, 02:59 AM
P.S. - i have had to instal pressure pumps to ensure adequate pressure - 325 psi. some equipment just need high pressure! lol

DiscusJeff
10-28-2003, 09:12 AM
Wow Smokey! Bet that fills your tanks up in a hurry! :)

Denny
10-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Contact Randal B and order a pressure meter. they are inexpensive and will tell you the correct answer.
Two months ago we moved across the street and went from 50 psi to less than 10. two fixtures would not operate at the same time. We flushed the rust out of the lines and now are back in the 50 range

Smokey
10-29-2003, 04:49 AM
Hahaha - I do have it regulated down to 125psi. for the r/o unit . Braided hoses are essentual ! Actually the flow volume is low. about 300gph.

Most pumps, I use are for volume, eg - 1200gph, etc. The pressure pump is a speciality pump. Not for the average home!!! lol

Smokey

RandalB
10-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Late again.

In the US most people have between 40 and 60 PSI with some exceptions. That's considered average. I've seen as low as 20 and as high as 120. If you have over 70 you need to have a plumber check your house, I know a person that had over $30,000 in water damage following a catastrophic pipe failure from overpressure. His water pressure was at 85 PSI. Most residential plumbing is not rated that high.

How to Check:
Your local Home Depot should sell Pressure gauges with a 3/4" GHT (Garden Hose thread) connector. Mine sells them for about $6.00. Attach this to your hose spigot or utility sink spigot (These should be fairly close to where your water comes in and should give you a good reading) and open the valve all the way.

HTH,
RandalB

Smokey
10-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Howdy;
Randal is correct !

Excessively high water pressure, is something that everyone has to be cautiious with.

Where I am located, a small community/village - the water pressure will vary. Watering -lawns / gardens / dishwashers / etc. The dial guage, I had installed, would show a drop in water presure - when a neighbour flushed their toilet. lol.
I learned when not to use my r/o unit - 4:30 to 7:00pm. The use of water is vey high in a community at this time.

I was located close to the pump station - and the 50,000 gallon storage vessel.

AND the condition of the underground water service line. Deteriation, internal contamination [ rust, mineral biuldup, etc]. can/will affect the water flow/pressure.

Today - most water delievery service lines have water meters, and a pressure regualtors. To avoid damage to appliances, etc.

Next; the condition / size of the feeder water lines in the house.
Some may have a 3/4 inch service line, and from there - run lines to the bathroom, kitchen, laundry appalinces.

When one thinks about it - water is only delieveried to a few places, in ones home. WITH THE EXCETPTION OF FISH FANATICS. LOL...

In conclusion - the actual water pressure, inside one's home, can be almost anything. With newer subdivisions and newer homes - the water service lines are made of modern materials; the lines are internal clean, the main delievery lines are in excellant condition.

A person can purchase an inepensive water pressure guage, from most hardware type stores. Some can be installed on any kitchen tap and will let a person know the ACTUAL water delievery pressure.

Like Randal mentioned - average water pressure is designed to be between 35 - 45 psi. per home unit. This is an accepted norm.

Denny - had an excellant expierence.

Smokey