PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Filter

boydiscus
10-22-2003, 06:29 AM
What is a sponge filter and how does it actually work? Im planning to get my discus in around 2 weeks, and with a sponge filter does it work just with an airpump is there any extra requirements? and would a 300 litre canister be to much for a 150 litre tank? would it stress out my discus? but i really wanna know how a sponge filter works and which one would i need for a 3ft tank?

Carol_Roberts
10-22-2003, 07:25 PM
All filters work by having media for good bacteria to grow on. The media can be sponges, pads, bio balls, etc. Good bacteria convert deadly ammonia to deadly nitrIte and then to less harmful nitrAte which you remove with daily water changes. When you have good bacteria growing in your filters the filters are called "cycled" Fish will quickly die in an aquarium if the filters are not cycled (unless you do huge daily water changes)

Filters take about 4-6 weeks to cycle. Will you have cycled filters when you get your discus?

boydiscus
10-22-2003, 11:34 PM
Yeah, but I have a 3ft tank what would you suggest? What kidn of sponge filter and how big? can you give me the equipments name and do i need the bottle to put good bacteria into my water and how long you should I cycle the 3ft tank?

Carol_Roberts
10-22-2003, 11:42 PM
I'd put an Aqua Clear 300 on that size tank. I would do a fishless cycle with pure ammonia purchased from Walmart or the grocery store. Add enough ammonia to show 3-5 ppm on a test kit. You will have to add a bit of ammonia from time to time. In 3 or 4 weeks the ammonia will start to go down and nitrIte will appear on the nitrIte test kit. After another week or two the nitrIte will fall, nitrAte will appear on the nitrAte test kit an the tank will be cycled. Do a 90% water change and add discus the next day.

kjmillerfw
10-23-2003, 09:36 AM
I'm setting up a new tank and didn't think ahead to set up an extra sponge in my existing tank. I just put one in there and I'm wondering how long it takes to get colonized in the existing tank? Anybody have an idea?

TIA,
Kathy

Carol_Roberts
10-23-2003, 04:30 PM
I figure two weeks to build a bacteria bed when I cycle a filter in an existing tank.

kjmillerfw
10-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Thanks! ;)