PDA

View Full Version : New to discus

GoodMike
10-22-2003, 09:17 AM
Well, im new to the discus in this hobby, but a few days ago i picked up 2 discus (not sure what kind..they are a blue and redish color). Im thinking that these 2 are pairing up...they hang out really close to one another and they "touch" alot. I also observed this in the store along with the two i bought fighting and protecting eachother from the other discus. Do you think they could be a pair?, if so and they do breed, what kinds of things do they lair their eggs on?..glass? plants? Thanks for all the help, im sure i will have many more questions too. :)

shamsoo
10-22-2003, 12:17 PM
welcome to forum, may be a pair or two females, they will lay the eggs where they want, what are you water parameters?

GoodMike
10-22-2003, 05:41 PM
My water parameters are:
Ph=6.5
nitrite=0
ammonia=0
temp 82

I dont think they are two females, cause one is alot smaller than the other (apparently same breed and age)
Ill have pictures as soon as they settle in some

GoodMike
10-22-2003, 06:03 PM
i found a pic that looks a lot like my discus, the blueish red one on the right
http://www.gcca.net/fom/fom_pix/discus.jpg

Carol_Roberts
10-23-2003, 12:06 AM
If your discus looks like the bluish one on the right you have a red turquoise discus. How big are they? If they are 3 inches or less, probably not pairing behavior - just friends.

IF they are as big as your hand they may be a pair. Post pictures when they settle in and we'll have a better idea.

GoodMike
10-23-2003, 08:55 AM
The big one is about 3 to 3.5 inches across, and the smaller one is about a half inch smaller than it.

shamsoo
10-23-2003, 04:41 PM
from above photo both looks like male, as Carol says might be friends :D

GoodMike
10-23-2003, 05:38 PM
The pic isnt my fish, its just a pic i found on the net. ;)