PDA

View Full Version : Heater Placement in Tank

kjmillerfw
10-23-2003, 10:30 AM
I have a dumb question...I've noticed in a lot of the photos here that people completely submerge their heaters and have them in a horizontal (---) versus a vertical (|) position.

How come y'all do this? ??? Is there a benefit?

TIA,
Kathy

10-23-2003, 11:22 AM
That's a good question... Because I have the loaches, when I do lay the heater in a horizontal position, they (loaches) hide under it or lay on it for a while. But mostly go under. I also notice that since heat rises to the top it might be a good idea to have the heater lie horizontal since in this position it will cover a more broad area of water (to heat).

But other than what I've said above, I don't believe there's any theory. Kat: I've replied to your (and Jeep's) note regarding "bite attack".

Peace, Love, Flowers & Discus to ya,
**Angie**

ping
10-23-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi Kathy,

It's a good questions. :)
Well, i place mine horizontal (--) position for 2 reasons (JMO):
1. Discus wont lay eggs there.
2. I dont have to unplug the heater when i do water changes. Much safer.

I agree with what Angie said too. The heat rises to the top, so might be better idea to lie horizontal.

HTH,
Ronny

kjmillerfw
10-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Good answers! I didn't think about water changes or egg laying being a factor.

I was always scared to totally immerse them because I wasn't sure they are completely waterproof. The heater in my aging barrel dangels in the water and so far no electricutions so maybe they are pretty waterproof. When I bought my last couple heaters, I looked for one to specifically say it was waterproof and I never saw any that said that.

Angie, my goofy loaches love the heater too even in the vertical position. They sneak up inbetween the heater and the glass and hang vertical one on top of the other. Then they start doing donuts around the suction cups...I think I know why they are named "CLOWN" loaches...hehe ;D I keep my heaters set at 86 so you'd think it would be quite hot to lay right next to them, but they seem to like it there.

Thanks for the advice,
Kathy

10-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi, Kathy:

Ditto! My clown loaches (CLs) do the same thing! They love it when the tank's temperature is touching near 90 degrees! Unbelievable. When it's that high, they don't get ichies (icks). Also it helps with the discus too by keeping the heater in a horizontal position..the CLs stay located in that part of the tank and out of the way of the discus. That's what I've noticed.

If you buy a heater from the pet shop and you're uncertain if it's water submersible, just ask the attendant. Most heaters should state it's water submersible. But I know of some packages it doesn't state it (uhm..).

P.S. You should disconnect the heater before making major water changes. It can blow out if you don't disconnect it and wait 15/20 minutes before removing it from the tank.

**Angie**

cd1000
10-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Another point might be, especially if you have slow-moving water, the heated water will rise up over the vertically positioned heater, including its thermostat. Chances are the heater will shut itself off too early.
:yikes:

Tobias

Not2Day
10-23-2003, 12:16 PM
FWIW
Placement of the heater near a water return or over an air stone helps to disperse the heated water so that you do not have a Warm Side or Hot Spot in your tank. 8)
Dave

jeep
10-23-2003, 01:25 PM
I place mine horizontaly on or near the bottom with only 1 or no suctions cups for the above reasons, plus, so a skittish discus can't get trapped behind the heater and burn itself.

Brian

Carol_Roberts
10-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Yep, no suction cups for me either. Discus can't get burned, I can push the heater around to clean beneath it and I can do 90% water changes if needed without exposing heater to air.