PDA

View Full Version : Eggs? WOW!

tarzan
10-23-2003, 05:51 PM
Hey there!

I thought i was doing alot of stuff wrong, because i was not too sure about much of the advices i got on this board - fool i was.. ;D
First of all, thanx too *alot* of members who has helped me out with some issues.. Especialy Carol Roberts who taught me to much about cleaning and doing WC'es instead of alter my 8.0 pH - My fish are now happier than ever! :thumbsup:

For a couple of days i saw 2 of my fish was pairing up, but did'nt thought i would be lucky with anything because of my problems lately..
24 hours ago they laid a big pile of eggs on my filter intake, and i was very happy.. this means that im doing something right, right? ;)

My only problem is now, that they laid eggs very close to the intake to my filter-canister, so im nervous if they will be sucked right in after they can swim.. can i do anything to prevent this now?

jeep
10-23-2003, 06:01 PM
If they're a young pair, chances are the eggs won't be fertile. If this is a community tank, chances are if the eggs are fertile, the fry won't survive anyway.

If you get wigglers out of them, then pick up a breeder tank and let them try again under more favorable circumstances.

Sure is exciting, huh? :)

Brian

Carol_Roberts
10-23-2003, 06:07 PM
Hi Tarzan, thanks for the kind words.

Do you have extra parts to your canister? Maybe you have an extra filter intake you could put on the canister? Probably the canister will suck in babies no matter where it is once they go free swimming. Sponge filter is best for breeding tank. Get an airdriven sponge filter going in the tank for next time.

EthanCote.com
10-23-2003, 06:13 PM
I'm curious though, don't the parents normally moved the fries once they hatch to a new location?? Or do they just leave them their until they become free swimming?

And Congrats Tarzan on the spawn. I would not worry too much about this spawn, let nature take her course and see what happens. It will be a valuable lesson for the young parents.

Cheerio,

Chi.

tarzan
10-23-2003, 06:23 PM
hi all :D

The tank is a 80gal with 7 medium-large discus - i dont have any other tanks, and i can't fit any other into my apartment..
I could slip a sponge over the intake - but im worried that the pair will be too scared or something..

There are about 10 eggs which are white.. this means that they are no fertilized - right? I've been reading on the forum, and it seems like they will hatch in about 18 hours from now..

Can i do WC while they have eggs? can i vacum the gravel ?

Carol_Roberts
10-23-2003, 11:00 PM
You can do water changes if you want - or wait until tomorrow. The eggs will turn black if they are going to hatch. There is not much chance any babies will survive in your community tank. :-\