PDA

View Full Version : sick snakeskin

jim_shedden
10-24-2003, 11:35 PM
Ever since the power outage in august I have had a problem with a snakeskin. She was in top breeding form and then picked up hex. I have had the temp up to 92, added salt and espom salts. I used metro at 400 mg every 8 hours for 3 days with 50% w/c's daily. I then gave her a break for 2 days then started the treatment again and then another break and then retreated. She still has a lot of white slimey feces coming out. She has not eaten in about a week and a half and I even tried live blackworms. I beleive that she has a very bad internal infection but unfortunately I am not able to get Kanacyn any longer. Any ideas?

Jim

Ardan
10-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Hi Jim,
If you can't get Kanacyn, I have heard some people use minocycline or maracyn. I have never used them.
Is Canada not allowing any antibiotics for sale?
It could be internal worms too. Have you ever tried flubendazole?
hth

Discusgeo
10-26-2003, 09:58 AM
Jim I can get it and The smallest container I can get is 50 grams and it's not that cheap and you have to still figure in shipping charges.

KANAMYCIN SULFATE (WATER SOLUBLE) $ 40.00
66% Water soluble powder. Colorless full spectrum skin absorbing antibiotic for freshwater and marine.

DOSE: 150mg to each 10 net gallons every other day for 5 days (3 treatments are suggested). Repeat treatment in 3 days if necessary.

or

KANAMYCIN SULFATE (PURE) Pure Bulk Powder. $54.00
Colorless full spectrum skin absorbing antibiotic for freshwater and marine.

DOSE: 150mg to each 10 net gallons every other day for 5 days (3 treatments are suggested). Repeat treatment in 3 days if necessary.

Barb Newell
10-26-2003, 10:26 AM
Jim, I'm quite sure that Dan at MOPS can still get Kanacyn or oxytetracycline. I found that oxytetracycline worked much better for stubborn internal infections. Is there any yellow in the slimy feces? Is she bloated? swollen?

Barb

Barry
10-26-2003, 10:45 AM
Big Als Online Canada has Kanacyn.

jim_shedden
10-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Hi Folks:

Gypsy : I tried Big Als' and they said they were out.........hmmmmmmmm

Ardan : There is a lot of problems with medications ever since 911. Part of the problem is that people have been taking vet meds that they buy from pet stores because it is cheaper........very bizarre. Also, I beleive that the vets are trying to control the pet drug business because they are losing money. I may be totally wrong though........not the first time.
I have not tried flub with this female before. Will it work on internals as well?
Barb : The feces are very white. However, I have noticed that her eyes are starting to bulge which also makes me think of other internal nasties.

jim

CARY_GLdiscus
10-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Jim,

IMO I like bards Ideal! However Metro and Erythromycin work well mixed for 1 week. IMO its not worms but a case of
Spironucleus + internal Bac infection.

hth
Cary Gld!

jules
10-26-2003, 06:38 PM
I have 8 juvie Discus and have one guy who won't eat either and hasn't for at least a couple weeks. He is getting extremely thin and I suspect he has hex, however it is difficult to tell because I never see him pooping as he isn't eating. However he does spend alot of time in the corner though.

Anyways I have Paragon 11, but am afraid to use it, so I am thinking of trying some metro. I already tried raising temp and adding salt.

water parameters are fine and he is in bb.

I ended up using the Paragon 11 for one treatment and he is better and eating again. He had Refused live worms also before treatment.
The ingredients are: Metro, Furazolidone, Neomycin Sulfate, Naladixic Acid and Sodium Chloride. It is availible at Big Als in Canada.

brewmaster15
10-26-2003, 06:46 PM
However Metro and Erythromycin work well mixed for 1 week dido to what Cary said.

:)

-al

jim_shedden
10-26-2003, 07:18 PM
Cary / Al : erythromycin?..............where can it be obtained?

Jim

Discusgeo
10-26-2003, 08:33 PM
ERYTHROMYCIN PHOSPHATE CAPSULES 100 CAPSULES $38.00
200mg capsules of water soluble Erythromycin Phosphate activity. Colorless general antibiotic for freshwater and marine.

DOSE: One capsule to 10 net gallons. Treat every other day for 5 days (3 treatments are suggested). Repeat full treatment in 3 days if necessary. Double

Joao
10-26-2003, 10:50 PM
Hi,

I'm in toronto. Jim I have the same problem as you, I treated the all tank for hex, and the worst fih he's still doing some white feces, but he looks allright, if continuos i'll have to treat him separate in h/t.

You can check my post's on,
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=13450

Joao

jim_shedden
10-27-2003, 08:03 AM
Joao..............thankyou

jim

Barry
10-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Jim you should try Big Al's Online Canada again as i just ordered Kanacyn 100 tabs and metro in 100 tabs as well. Maybe they were temporarily out of stock.

brewmaster15
10-29-2003, 11:18 AM
jim,
its sold as e-mycin, and is found in maracyn 1 .

hth, al

Joao
10-29-2003, 11:30 PM
Is that ok using metro (hex-mit) and adding salt the same time?
Wich one regular salt or epson salts?

Thank you

Joao

jim_shedden
10-30-2003, 01:20 AM
I use both .......espom salt and sea salt with metro. I have found that the espom salts help clean them out.

Jim

jim_shedden
10-30-2003, 08:42 AM
Update : I used Paragon II ..........since that was all could get at the time. I lost one of the sick ones yesterday but I beleive that he was just too far gone to help. The other seems to be holding her own. I have been dosing 1/2 teaspoon per 20 gallons every other day. Then a 50 % w/c.

Joao
10-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Feel sorry for you, keep doing your best.

Good luck

Joao