PDA

View Full Version : Babies Dying

jjgallow
10-27-2003, 05:17 AM
Quite the dramatic Title, I know.

But it's true. I've had trouble with all my spawns dying off. I'm about to start breeding my pairs again, and I'm hoping to get it right this time.

My spawn always day off,,,a few each day, and all are gone after a couple months usually. The symptoms are always the same...gills puffed out...they look like somone had been pulling on them. Sometimes one gill was worse than the other, but usually both gills had it.

I've thought of flukes and chlorine. Ultimately I'm not sure of the source. Can someone please help me before my next spawn?

???

TuNa
10-27-2003, 08:52 AM
What are your water parameters? And how many w/c's do you do for this tank?

Peace.

TuNa
10-27-2003, 08:59 AM
What are your water parameters? And how many w/c's do you do for this tank?

Peace.

jjgallow
10-27-2003, 04:15 PM
I have had 5 different spawns with altered parameters each time. My water is liquid rock, which is usually good for fry. I keep it soft for the eggs and they hatch at an excellent rate.

I treat for gill flukes early on, but stop after the first couple weeks.

I have not yet tested for chlorine, and am looking at doing for this. My tank is on drip, and turns over about once per day.

thanks,

Jeff

John_Nicholson
10-27-2003, 04:46 PM
I would quit treating for flukes and change more water. If it was flukes then your constant treatment for them would have handled the problem. Get off of the drip and change 50% of the water twice a day and I bet you have some success.

-john

CARY_GLdiscus
10-27-2003, 07:19 PM
I agree with john :)

OEG
10-27-2003, 07:38 PM
I had a similar experience and found out later that all it was, was the fact that i was feeding too little brine shrimp and they were starving and a few would die each day, i also agree though that you need to do more water changes, ive done up to 90% water changes during the brine shrimp and later stages of their developement untill they are about 2-3inches in size.
Oscar

jjgallow
10-29-2003, 02:14 AM
Thanks all,

Well, brine shrimp could be it too. I fed a lot of pellets and very little brine shrimp.

I'll try both in my next spawning. I set the breeding pairs up yesterday and they look ready to go after an 8-month rest.

Miles
10-31-2003, 01:46 AM
I agree with John.

8)

jjgallow
10-31-2003, 02:04 PM
And,

they spawned....big batch.

They're usually pretty good with the kids. I'll post whether the babies make it or not when they're older.

thanks,

Jeff

fcdiscus
11-01-2003, 01:41 AM
Not to be different, I also agree with John! WC, WC, WC, ;D Frank