PDA

View Full Version : Feeding BW to 1 inch discus

emilio50
10-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Is feeding Hikari bloodworks recommended for very young discus? (about 1" to 1 1/2 inches long).

I have heard that bloodworms may cause intestinal problems. Is that correct?

Also, are there any tricks to get them to eat flakes. Mine just ignore them, even if they are hungry.

korbi_doc
10-28-2003, 03:47 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi Emilio, just from my own limited experience, my babies were eating H.bws by 4wks of age with no problems, cbws also. They were much smaller than yours at that time. I've not read of any intestinal problems in healthy fish.
They were fed pellets & flake food as well to get them to eat a variety of foods. Try feeding the flake first feeding of the day when they should be the hungriest. Mine have definitely demonstrated a bias for eating the live worms, so now they only get them as a treat, last thing at night. It can be difficult to get fish to eat what they don't particularly like.
You will probably get better answers from the experts here.
HTH, Dottie ;D ;D

emilio50
10-28-2003, 03:55 PM
I think blackworms are addictive. They absolutely love them. However, my wife hates them just as much, as she does not want hundreds of live worms in her refrigerator.

Right now they are eating blackworms and frozen adult brine shrimp.

RichieE
10-29-2003, 12:58 PM
Emilio I broke down and bought a small refrig/freezer about knee high. Its a GE and under $100. Holds frozen beefheart, bloodworms, and brineshrimp. It came with its own blackworm holder. Not only that it keeps 8 cans of Bud just below freezing. I dont have to listen to my wife ***** anymore. Ya can't ask for more than that. Rich

heavyp83
10-29-2003, 01:19 PM
Rich, sounds like you got the right idea.....I was thinking about doing the same thing, that walk all the way to the kitchen just to get beer and fish food sure can be tiring. ;D

angelsandmore
10-29-2003, 10:14 PM
I keep bloodworms in a 5 1/2 gallon tank with a sponge filter I can hold 2 pounds with no water changes for two weeks then I get more the only water change i have to do is the day after I get them the wholesaler i buy from rinses and refrigorates makes the water bad sponge filter is the way to keep them my wife wont let me in the fridge

nicholas76
11-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Hey guys,

Do you feed your CBW anything?

I find that the only way i can keep my CBW alive for more than a day is to keep them in a container under a running / dripping tank 24/7. At least that way i get some life out of them or they start to die almost straight away.

NIck