PDA

View Full Version : Whie Eye & Swim Bladder

thcreations
10-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Three of my discus are sick, yesterday I noticed 1 of them swimming as if he were drunk at times, but seems to be eating fine. The other two have developed a white film on one of their eyes, a sort of fungus.

They are in a 55 gal with 6 other discus, all but one of them were introduced to the tank at the same time about 3 months ago. The other one I kept in quarantine for 4 weeks before introducing him to the rest a month ago.

I do daily w/c's of 20-50% my ammonia is 0 my PH is 6.0
KH is 3, GH is 6, 1 tsp salt per gallon and the temp is kept 88-90 deg F.

They have been growing like mad and doing beautiful, I hate to see this happening. any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance,

T.H.

jeep
10-29-2003, 10:00 AM
I'm not that good at fungus or bacterias, but I would first start by upping the salt to 1TBS per gallon.

Hopefully a disease expert will come along soon.

Brian

brewmaster15
10-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Hi Tom,
I got your Im,
I agree with Brian here. The salt needs to be higher. That alone may do the trick. 1 Tablespoon/1 gal will effectively kill fungus in a few days.. 50% water changes daily. I'd also drop your temp down to 84-85 until you know what you are up against.

Take a close look at your fish . Look at the sides and see if there are any whitish patches or areas that look like the slime coat was rubbed away... How do the fins look? How is the breathing?

lastly I would say kill the tank lights and block window lights. If its not fungus.. which I doubt it is.... It may be bacterial or protozoan. If protozoan... some use light as an energy source. If bacterial you may or may not need an antibiotic. I'd try the salt for a few days. Coupled with salt Furan -2 can be used... its antifungal, and antibacterial. ..The choice in this is yours. Generallu I try woudl try salt first.

hth,
al

vendiscus
10-29-2003, 01:46 PM
use minocycline at 15mg. per galon per day until they get better. this wont dammage the bio filter