PDA

View Full Version : Water Parameters..Would you bother with RO?

FischAutoTechGarten
10-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Folks,
Here's one for the hobby breeders and keepers.
Here are my water parameters:
pH 7.6
KH 30mg/L
GH 60mg/L
dH 3.5
Ammonia .0mg/L
Nitrite: .0 mg/L
Nitrate 5mg/L
Iron no trace
My local Water Treatment uses Clorine, not Cloramines. I heat and agitate water in 55gal drums for 20+ hours to drive off Clorine.

Would you bother with RO? Any other parameters that I need to quantify before you can answer.
I ask because I want to automate water changes just a bit and it's much easier if I don't have to bother blending RO & Raw water, or seperating which water goes to which tank.

Steve_Warner
10-30-2003, 05:00 AM
Hi all,
Peter, first off, your water is REALLY, REALLY GOOD right now! I am jealous. Are you wanting to breed your fish or just keep them in a nice community tank? The numbers you gave for the water now are IMO maybe a little too soft even and I personally might add some minerals via crushed coral maybe to boost them up a tad. I would venture to guess that with a healthy, fully-cycled bio-filter, you would get good pH readings below 7 with those water params. I would just be sure to keep an eye on it as it naturally falls to insure no pH crashes if no additional Alkalinity buffers are added. Where do ya live again and is the house next door for sale ;D

Steve