PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh A Free Day

darcy
10-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Well I get a free day off work thanks to mother nature!! A snow storm has hit BC and Alberta!! Our hiways are closed and I work out of town! WOOO HOOO! Free day off work with pay. Gotta like that. I'll try and post a pic up in a few. Just got the power back on and I have to check and make sure the fish are ok!! I know that the weather change has got my pairs back into high gear and have 3 pairs laying eggs like crazy!!

Darcy

ronrca
10-29-2003, 12:02 PM
>:( >:( >:( >:( :( :( :( :P

Gee! What is it with you southern folks! A little snow on the ground and everyone stays home! :D Im at work despite winter driving conditions! :( >:(

Enjoy your day off Darcy! ;)

Pick
10-29-2003, 12:06 PM
LOL! Southern folks....you're killing me!

TC

henryD
10-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Yeah tell me about.....

Well we have a warm week here is the Northeast. Will hit 70 this weekend. Time to open the garage and let the fish enjoy some sunshine.....

Henry

darcy
10-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Well its not really cold here only -2. We were aware of this storm yesterday,but the city and county were not prepared! No sanding and grading trucks on the road. people have tried to leave for work around my house and have got stuck not even a half a block down the road. I think I will stay in today and spend a day with the wife and kids and watch my fish!!

Darcy

ronrca
10-29-2003, 02:02 PM
No sanding and grading trucks on the road.
Sheesh! 5 months winter a year, 5 months snow a year and 2 months spring/fall/summer a year and unperpared for winter at the end of October! Wow! Southerners must really forget in 2 months what winter is like! LOL! ;)

I left home around 6am this morning and most of the side roads were already sanded not to mention the major roads and hiways! I didnt even have to get the dogs out this morning! My T-bird made it thru no problem! ;D It was -8C which is 17.6F btw!

Btw-for those that dont know Canada, its the big piece of land right above the US (and you thought North America and the US were the same thing). From where I live to where I work is around 80-90km (50-56miles) depending if Im going to work or home (depends if its all uphill or downhill because of the snow drifts). In the spring/fall/summer, it usualy takes me around 45mins (Canadian time) to get to work! The other 10 months a little longer depending on how the wind blows! And I always drive north btw because the earth revolves around my house! ;) ;D

henryD
10-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Canadian Time???????

I am going to be sorry I ask but how is tha different from regular time? Do I need to grab my Stephen Hawkins/Einstein books?

Henry

jim_shedden
10-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Ya know what they say about us............summer is just a thaw on the skating rink.................. ;D

shorthair
10-29-2003, 04:21 PM
Hey Darcy, just think now you can do repairs to your igloo with all this snow and ice!!! ;)

Think I'm getting the same taste of winter as you. Snow is piling up and with this wind we have 3' drifts all over. Sure looking forward to that first chinook of the year ;D

Devin

brewmaster15
10-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Hi Darcy,
Wish I was you.. I'll take a snow storm right now.. Been so darn wet out here in the northeast Usa .. last nights rain storm put a good 2 inches of water on my fish rooms floor! Now I usually get some water on the floorwhen working on the tanks but this is rediculous.. I was doing water changes this morning and saw the water start seeping thru the floor cracks.. In one hr it put almost 2 inches in my basement.

well..at least if a fish jumps out of a tank , it'll be okay...then again.. I could spend all morning trying to catch it! ::) :)

-al

gump
10-29-2003, 04:57 PM
I had a free day also here in the east. We have the same rain system that Al mentioned. Because of the three days of rain the ground is super saturated coupled with the big rain today, I get the day off ( no pay though!!) Good chance to catch up on things a little. Supposed to be fine tommorrow.
Pierre

GulfCoastDiscus
10-29-2003, 05:11 PM
You know what they say " Better you than me". Here I am in Texas complaining to my wife that we need to move to Florida or Hawai'i. Here the weather got down to into the 50's this week and I stayed home cuz I didn't want my 2 year old exposed. lol Anyway we're back into the 70's as normal around this time. My wife wants to move up north cuz she's never seen snow. I told her she not missing much. It's nice when It's the first snow of the year but it gets old fast. I don't miss shoveling snow every morning so my mom can get out to go to work. Have fun on your free day. Back to work tomorrow.

Dan

jules
10-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Darcy: can you please tell me which way the wind is blowing...not East I hope? Enjoy.

shorthair
10-29-2003, 05:50 PM
danDman, tell your wife this is our first snowthis fall (in the prairies of Alberta) and it got old about the first 5 seconds of being out of my house lol. I guess when you've never seen snow it would be cool.

jules, I'm about an hour west of Darcy and the wind couldn't be more from the north than it is :'( and its forecasted to get down to the -20's by the weekend.

Devin

darcy
10-29-2003, 07:36 PM
I'm scared man!! :o :o :o :o What really sucks is we are movin our entire shop! LMAO I dunno how I will ever get my forklift outside and not get stuck!!!!!

Al.... that must really bite.

Gump... a day off with no pay? Now that really sucks!!

Devin.... you had to work? HAHAHAHAHAHA really sucks to be you!!! :P :P :P :P

Jules.... yes I believe its heading your way...well east at least!
Darcy

GulfCoastDiscus
10-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Devin,
I guess it's time to migrate down south. I see many Canadian migrating to Florida around this time. I know my mother lives in Florida and houses a couple of snowbirds from fall to spring then they migrate back north after the snow is gone.lol Maybe you need to the same. You know they have lots of nice discus in Florida. :)

dan

April
10-29-2003, 08:46 PM
ok....well April.....here as west as you can get other than vancouver island....had 100 mile an hour winds last night.....and now we have nice blue skies but cooler. no rain....no snow.....so dont paint canada with all the same brush as.......darcy and roncra and jim....and jules......etc etc. we are walking on beaches.....and enjoying our crisp cool beautiful days with leaves falling around us.
When Roncra refers to the southerners...hes referring to southern canada...where its still cool and snowy....but just didnt quite get that sanding truck out etc....on time.

Jean
10-30-2003, 01:50 AM
Canada or USA.. I love a snow or ice day! ;D

Jean ;D 8)

Discus_KC
10-30-2003, 06:33 AM
I know where you can get lots of sand for those roads !!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I would settle for a little rain !!!!!!!!!! LOL

darcy
10-30-2003, 09:22 AM
LMAO Jack!!!! Yea bag some up and ship me some will ya? I had to go bowling last night and there were cars stuck on the hills all over town!! The city did manage to get the graders out but no sanding trucks!! First we had rain so there was a inch of ice under the snow!! Still snowin this mornin but not as windy. Damn I may have to work after all.

Darcy

Maybe I should move to Vancouver ::) ::) ::)

Discus_KC
10-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Darcy,

You gotta love that ice under the snow !!!!!!

And the idiots with the 4 X 4's that think because it's a 4 X 4 that you can go extra fast !!!!!!!!!! Their usually the ones in the ditches !!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Paulio
10-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Jack,

Sand! LOL! Ya think? Those 4x4 people scare me. They just dont get the fact that not much is good on ice and certainly not that SUV.

Paul