PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain water

Smokey
10-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Pure, clean, never used before, - Mountain fresh water.

Well, Here it is October 29th/2003. I am setting up the 8th dedicated fish room. A bit more high tech, compared to the past 7.
Today, I got the water conditioner unit, the holding tanks, up and running. First step in any dedicated fish room, MPE. As long as water is available; fish soon follow. lol...Really.

The room is still in disaray. Plie everything against one wall ; while the other 1/2 is being developed. Yes.

Now, I realize - I am lacking in tanks. Well, not tanks, but capacity. I am using one single level - for the main units. I have gone from 6 feet, stacked; to over 15 feet horiziontal length. with 3 levels to be developed.

What to do! The 85 liter units seem so small - they were growout units for the fry. Now the fry are 5 -6 inches- standard length. And a few are starting to breed.

My question - to the members of simplydiscus - what should my next tank size be ??

I have the oppertunity to have the tanks custon built. so size is not a problem.

Please offer your suggestions / advice.

Smokey

Brian-pdx
10-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Sorry I can't suggest a tank size, just wanted to comment on your delightful quandary. Even if it is in disarray, post a pic or two! Sounds like you are far down the path- and enjoying it! Wish I had the space...

henryD
10-30-2003, 04:14 PM
85 liters? So roughly 22.4 gallons? Wow that is a pretty small tank if I am doing my math right. I really am a big fan of 55 gallon and 75 gallons for standard tanks size. Although if it was custom built, I would get tanks that are longer in length and width. This way you can stack them higher.

I have most of mine in 55 gallon. These are my grow out tanks. They don't seem to utilize the upper part of the tanks as much. Except when they see me coming and think it is feeding time.

Smokey
10-31-2003, 03:21 AM
Yes , the 85 liter units were my old breeder tanks. [ 24L x 15W x 15 High]. They have suited me well, as isolation units; grow out tanks .Three to 2 discus per unit.

BTW - they are/can be swithehed to a system setup at a filck of a valve. All are drilled, have their own overhead w/d filters and 100 liter sumps, with 5 gallons of mechanical filteration.

I forgot to mention - I sold my business 2 years ago and settled here in the Rocky Mountains, Alberta, South western Canada. These are the tanks I kept; after selling of the larger systems.

Now, it is time to expand - I now have 21 discus - ranging in age from - ~5 months [ blue diamonds]-[3"], to Red Diamonds [18 months]-[6"]. With RSG/Turks, Red Siams, Golden Dragons, and Super Ruby Reds in between!
lol.

Iam leaning towards 6 - 36 x 18 x 24" tall. {I love the 55's, however - go a bit taller and you can get 67 gallons us. I would like to go 36x24x24 - however, the one piece molded frames are not available; in those dimensions. They will be constructed out of 3/8' glass.
I do not want to go to a 4 footer, at this time. That will be phase three.

At the moment - all are stuffed into a 4 foot - 100 gallon 30" tall unit [ discus room under construction ] . And they do utilize the entire contents . top to bottom.

The phase three tanks will be 4 footers - x 24 x 30; all drilled and plumbed.

So, you see my situation[?]. a 36 inch long tank, maximised for capacity, placed into the racks, so the width is seen; not the lenght.

henry - a 75 is only an under-nourished 100g. hahahaha. I do agree - the 55 is a work-horse unit. tough!!

Phase 4 - 6 footers, some time next spring.[??].

So, there you have my idea ... on paper it looks good ... but ... what can other suggest [ ?? ] . I am opento ideas and suggestions.

Smokey

Brian - I have posted pics somewhere [ ?] .. Through-out simply . here and there. terrible resoulation. cheap digital .really cheap!!

Dave C
10-31-2003, 08:45 AM
So you skipped the quarantine on your new fish that you just picked up?

Smokey
10-31-2003, 11:40 AM
Dave C. - no.

Smokey

Smokey
11-02-2003, 05:29 AM
Well, I just got back from my glass cutter. The new tanks are closer to a reality.

I am leaning towards the 36L x 18 w x 24 tall units. [ all drilled]. These will be primarlely for the breeders. One pair per unit. 67G. us. each.

MInd you, each tank would have it's own sump, plus a seperarte external wet/dry filter.

So, the actual water flowing volume could/should/will be - 130 gallons us. Not bad for a compact size.

Just the start.

Smokey

susankay1
11-02-2003, 05:36 AM
Hi Smokey,
Would love to see some pics of your set up. Hubby is trying to lay out plans for a fish room.....and I'm thinking that the 10 acres we are looking at to buy are just not going to be enough..lol. Best of luck with your plans!!!

Smokey
11-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Here are some "first" pics.

Top left - Moving in day ... all "everything" piled against one wall.

Top right - Peat bomb/ filter . priorty #1. Opposite wall. lol....The RubberMaid water container, is filled with 4 gallons of peat moss, see draft. Bottom right.

Meanwhile, all 24 discus are stuffed into a single 100 gallon tank. Bottom left.

AND, Yes - the peat conditioned water is that dark, well - sort-off. I do not need a high powered flashlight to see them.
The tank is only 18 inches wide. x 28 tall. Nice size, actually. I do not need a ladder to work on it ... lolol...short person joke.

I would like to have a 1/2 dozen of these. Excellant breeder tanks. My Red Diamonds have breed twice.

However - I will have to down scale to 36 x 18 x 20/24 inch tall units. 54 / 67 us gallonage. For the dedicated discus room.

How do the members of simplydiscus feel about this size.??

I can get - the 36 x 12 x 18 tall for $40.00cdn.

the 36 x 18 x 24 will cost 4 times more [ 3/8 inch glass].

What to do ... Waht to do...

HELP.

Smokey

ping
11-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Hi Smokey,

Wow Smokey .. still long way for fish room. :)

Do you still want to consider 48" tank (4ft) ?
I have 2 tanks of 48 x 24 x 18 tall (76-80g). The bottom is 3/8 inch glass (9-10mm). but the sides are only 6mm glasses. This size wont cost that much. It is a good size to keep the small discus. IMO

I like taller tank but if i want to stack it in 3 levels, i prefer 18" tall.
I have a 3 levels stand with 4 tanks of 3ft by 18 by 18 on the bottom and middle level. and 2 tanks of 2ft by 18 by 18 at the top level. I have enough room to do water changes with 18" tall tank. Everything is not that high, i just 2 stack of milk crates to do water changes at the top level..(Dont have a ladder LOL). ;D

Regards,
Ronny

Smokey
11-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Ron: Yes - you are so right.
This is why I need outside advice. Pratical advice. Expierence. Life learned expierences. Hands on tales.

A 48 inch long tank.. ! It will take up to much room for the volume, AT THIS TIME .. Stage two...3 footers

In the future; spring 2004; - stage 3 - four footers will be next on the list. 100 gallon units. I would like.

One step at a time. lol...

MONEY in -- money OUT . ouch...

The 24 and 36 inch long tanks will be in a single rack.
Along one wall. The other wall -- well that will be for the "bigger tanks". lol....

Remember, for every tank - a sump is implemented[ lower level] and for every tank a Bio-wet/dry will be used. [top level].

So, there you go -- three levels, used up.. fast.

Smokey ...

Just for a "fish" ... perhaps I should follow Rod L.. AND go out to the links. ...lol... Naw - toooo much snow on the ground!

Here IN Canada - the in-home fish fanatic season has begun.!!!

Minus 20 C., knee high snow, impassable roads - if you can get the car started. AND NOWHERE to go..... Except into ones own private paradise ... The wonderful world of discus...

And of course - Kerry! BTW - is the wedding still one -- you will have to dump your current fellow.... .

Beside - I am better looking and have a wonderful personality. Just ask ME !!!! lol.
Hahahaha - ahhh, only November, and cabin fever is starting. Well, time to go out and feed the sleigh dogs. lol...

Only in Canada - The Great White North. Brrrrrr!!!!