PDA

View Full Version : Congrulations To David Lim Grand Champion

Jeff
10-29-2003, 11:02 PM
David Lim has won Grand Champion with his Scarlet Spotted at Aquarama 2003. His web site is www.Fishiotribe.com.sg Check it out. I will be posting pics of his fish in a few days. 8)

SLY
10-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Jeff I thought it's only 2003 lol where are u now?

SLY
10-29-2003, 11:28 PM
Pictures of david and his fish that won the Grand Champion

Picture taken by Dr Sun of Singapore Discus Club.

SLY
10-29-2003, 11:28 PM
the fish itself.

MonkeeFish
10-29-2003, 11:39 PM
hey jeff you still on vacation???? Man u shoulda take me wit u hahaha i wanna see some purttty fishies to

crazy4discus
10-29-2003, 11:43 PM
wow nice

10-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Well Deserved David...... Congratulations :thumbsup:

Carol_Roberts
10-30-2003, 01:32 AM
:balloon: :balloon: Congratulations David :balloon: :balloon:

April
10-30-2003, 02:59 AM
Congratulations DAvid!!! im impressed!! and pleased to say i know of you and that your a simply member!! keep up the great work. of course we all get a free sample fry off that guy......here at simply right?
thankyou Jeff and Sly for reporting in for us guys left behind!!
we will await your next daily report. or hourly will do....lol.

Discus_KC
10-30-2003, 06:15 AM
Very impressive fish David !!!!!!!!!!!

Well deserved award !!!!!!!

Jack

brewmaster15
10-30-2003, 06:22 AM
Congratulations David!!!! :)

Thats one well deserved award! That fish is stunning to say the least!

Bravo!!!

-al

limige
10-30-2003, 07:59 AM
that fish is indeed a winner in my book, awesome spots, shape and color!

RichieE
10-30-2003, 11:07 AM
:oWOW :o

jeep
10-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Man, all those spots are just killing me!

It's so nice to see what a real pro can do...

Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

paulmat
10-30-2003, 11:42 AM
David, Way to go, congrats !!!!!!
Beautiful fish to say the least.

Paul :guitarist:

lkleung007
10-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Wow David!!!!

Simply AWESOME!!!!!!

Congratulations, Lester ;)

mench
10-30-2003, 12:33 PM
David,congrats on a stunning fish...well deserved.

Mench

EIHAB83
10-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Congratulations, well done
EIHAB

Tad
10-30-2003, 05:02 PM
David,
Congratulations on winning the Grand Championship....Awesome Discus :thumbsup:!!!!!

Regards,
Tad

Denny
10-30-2003, 11:22 PM
Very nice fish David and congratulations

Debbie
10-31-2003, 12:22 AM
Congratulations, well deserved, that is a beautiful fish.

Jeff
10-31-2003, 12:29 AM
Oops 2003. It's the time change thing. ::) Not quite that much ahead. ;D

SLY
10-31-2003, 01:04 AM
Mr Grand Champion

SLY
10-31-2003, 01:04 AM
His fish once more.

Miles
10-31-2003, 02:18 AM
AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!

Can I have my fish back now. LOL

FT David
10-31-2003, 01:30 PM
Hey guys, a big thank you to all!!!!

Will continue to work even harder with my partner (the handsome guy in purple ;D), Jackson Chan, to produce even better spotteds in the near future...

A special thank you to Sly who is always there when I need photographer! ;D ;D ;D Thanks man!!! You are a grrreat help!

Lance_Krueger
10-31-2003, 02:05 PM
Man-oh-man, what a beauty. I love the spots, but would you look at that intricate snakeskin pattern on the face and gill plate!?! :o
David, when things settle down for you, could you tell us more about the background behind this fish/strain. In past threads where you talked about your Scarlet Spotted compared to the Crimson Spotted, you said the Scarlet Spotted came from a Leopard background, and didn't have as small of spots as the Crimson Spotted (RSG lineage), but had a higher body shape. This fish you won with had a whole bunch of really tiny spots! Did you enter the Crimson Spotted too? Did the judges give any indications of why they picked one fish over another? Any info would be appreciated.
Congratulations! :D
Lance Krueger

FT David
10-31-2003, 03:00 PM
Hi Lance,

First of all, thank you for the congrats and great opinions...thanks!

As mentioned, my nearly 9" Crimson Spotted (Spotted Snakeskin) that was also one of the contestant (in tank DI-C4-12)had even finer spots than the Grand Champ 'Scarlet Spotted' (Leopard Snakeskin). Unfortunately, the Crimson was unable to adapt and resulted in slight rotted tail with dark base colour.... :'( Unable to project itself during the show. If you are there in person, you'll be able to compare the two...

In regard to the lineage of my Champ, its the sister (from the same batch) of my two Scarlet Spotted that had came in 2nd and 3rd (please refer to my website <Our Accomplishment>) during the 6th National Discus Competition. This particular piece had been selected out from hundreds due to the odd patterns/spots at a tender age. Luckily, the result turns out good! Its very rare to allocate such specimen in a Leopard Bloodline. If you are meddling with Spotteds, you'll understand what I mean. Note the ring pattern on the top rear portion of its body?? In this aspect, there's no one other than SLY who knows it better as he sees them growing up from fries... :)

Also, I'll like to clarify that I don't weigh Crimson over Scarlet, or vice versa as they are the results of Jackson's and my hard work. However, we will continue to improve on the strains/spots of these bloodlines of ours.

I'll try to post some pictures of the two when I've brought them back from the show as soon as possible for a comparison.

HTH ;)

Lance_Krueger
10-31-2003, 07:53 PM
David,
Thanks so much for your response. Very helpful information. I made the incorrect comment of "finer quality" for the Crimson Spotted over the Scarlet Spotted on my other thread because of the following comment you made in a thread back in April of this year: "Scarlet is classified as Leopard SS (Leopard X) and Crimson is a Spotted SS (RSG X). Both their parents are from different line...Scarlet possess a much bolder spots while Crimson possess tiny little spots. Another thing is that Scarlet had high body and Crimson will be rounder...HTH." So from what you said, I was mistaken in saying one was "finer quality" than the other. That was my personal opinion, I guess, since I've always liked, and been told that with spotted fish, smaller spots are more desirable than larger spots. That statement, of course, is subject to the eye of the beholder. But your Scarlet Spotted is definitely displaying very small spots. That's why I was amazed that Jeff had originally called this fish Scarlet Spotted when he announced you had won the Grand Champion award at Aquarama, as I remember reading in the past that you said the Scarlet Spotted had larger spots than the Crimson Spotted. I thought, how could you get more tiny spots on a discus? Most of the photos you provided before of the two strains were only partially grown fish, and you could see some difference in the size of the spots. But I didn't know what they'd look like comparatively as adults. I guess the term is relative, and shows what careful selection of breeding stock can do. Wow!
It would be very interesting to me, and I'm sure all the other red spotted discus lovers on Simply to see the side by side comparisons of the two show discus you mentioned. Maybe in the same photograph, if you are planning to put them together in the same tank back at your hatchery. Maybe even have Sly do the photography, since he's done the best job so far! ;)
I really do drool at both of your strains, and would be ready to purchase fry from both strains if given the opportunity. Do you import to America? If so, through who? If not, just send some home with Jeff, and I and other Americans will have that opportunity. ;D
Is there much difference in size, coloration, pattern, etc. from males to females of this strain? Also sorry to hear your Crimson Spotted had a tough time adapting. If that fish was 9", how large was your winning Scarlet Spotted?! Also, if you could give us a detailed description of how you raise your fish up to 9"!!!! :o Maybe we need to wait for John to do a Spotlight on you, to do it justice! In the meantime, here's a few quick questions:
1). What is your stocking capacity for a tank at increasing age/size? What size tanks do you use at various times in a discus' life?
2). How often do you feed at different discus sizes?
3). What do you feed? What foods, when, during the day?
4). How often do you do water changes? What times of day do you do water changes? Are your water changes automated at all, or do you do them manually? And do you do your W/C's in correlation to your feeding regimen?
5). Anything else you do that I'm not asking that would help growth, and body shape?
6).What do you look for when deciding what might be a future grand champion of Crimson and Scarlet Spotted at a young age?
Thanks in advance for any information.
Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Lance Krueger

BlueBull
11-01-2003, 03:54 AM
Hi David,

Congrats! You have done Singapore proud!

Rod
11-01-2003, 05:18 AM
Congrats David,

That is an awesome discus you have there, you deserve your grand champion prize. I shot half a roll of film on your discus alone trying to capture the true beauty :D

Rod

April
11-01-2003, 05:30 AM
cant wait to see those piccys Rod!! hows it going over there? wanna go home yet? seen enough fish yet?????

FT David
11-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Hi Lance and guys out there,

I do received lots of different opinions and preferences between my Crimson and Scarlet when I first placed them in the 6th National Discus Competition sometime in March this year. Some breeders/hobbyists voted for Crimson due to the fine spots and some voted for Scarlet due to the high bodied with some ring patterns. However, after some strict judging by three well known judges, Crimson was awarded the Grand Champion due to the fine spots feature. Therefore, I personally understand that the likings is to his own preferences. 8)

The Grand Champ Scarlet was barely over 8" (in total length) and abt 1.5 years old. We are still trying to 'pump' this princess up to the similar size of its sibling of 9"+-...As regard to the comparison photos, I'll try to engage SLY for that extra service (if he've got the time to spare). Will post it up as soon as they are back to health after the long hunger.

Back to your qtns...I'll try to answer them in sequence.

1. Normally, I'll stock 6-10 adults in a 50 gallon tank. From fries to about an inch, they'll be reared in a 20 gal irregardless of the quantity. Thereafter, they'll be upgraded to a 35 gal with stocks of about 50-70 pcs per tank. Subsequently, the final transfer to a 50 gal will be at abt 2" with a max of 40 pcs per tank. They will then be ready to be exported out when they reach 3-3.5".

2. Our practice is to feed all our Discus approximately 5-6 times a day. As for our breeding stocks, we'll feed them only twice a day.

3. During the day, we feed all our Discus with my beefheart formula. However, after the massive water change, they will be supplemented with Hikari frozen Bloodworms/Brine Shrimps to ensure maximum growth rate.

4. We carry out daily water change of 100% every evening manually with an individual siphon system that my Dad had designed to minimise tansmittant off diseases. (For a pic and further details, please refer to Mike Heppner from Hep's Discus Center) However, all our tanks are on the drip system throughout the day and night. In another words, the tanks actually received constant water changes of about another 100%. In short, our Discus are reared and raised in possible clean water conditions totalling in 200% water change.

5. Water changes are the utmost important to the health, appetite of all Discus around the world. If the Discus are in the cleanest enviroment you can provide, without doubt, they will have the best appetite. So, in correlation to the above, they will grow to their maximum size with the best body shape and coloration.

6. Its quite difficult for me to describe the lookouts on a future Grand Champ in either Crimson or Scarlet in words. I'll say that its based on my own instinct when selection from a brood with highest possible success if you are the one who breed them. Without the chemistry between you and your brood, you'll never be able to do that. You'll all understand what I'm trying to put in words if you are a breeder yourself. However, without reservation, I'll normally pick out those oddballs and reared them patiently with the optimum care for best result. Though, sometimes you just have to miss out that 1 or 2 when luck is down.

One other thing to add on is that I never believed that Discus that had been seriousli sick will never grow to its potential. This is untrue as all the Discus that I have selected for the Aquarama 2003 ranging from the smallest of 7"+- to 9" odd, had been thru serious ailment sometime in Jan to Feb this year.

Before I forget, I'll be glad to export my bloodlines to you guys out there if you are interested. Currently, still working out with an Importer in US...

Hope I've answered all the necessary.

David Lim
www.fishiotribe.com.sg
david.lim@fishiotribe.com.sg

Mr. Limpet
11-02-2003, 01:32 AM
David,
First, congratulations on winning. That is an awesome dicsus you have. Besides the fine lines on the head, and the great spotting, my favorite part is the symmetrical markings on the upper and lower fins.
Second, Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. It is this kind of sharing of information that helps everybody and continues to make this site a great source for all discus keepers.
Congratulations and thanks agian, Paul.

FT David
11-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Mr Limpet,

Its my pleasure...just some pointers to be shared with my limited experience. ;)

Lance_Krueger
11-03-2003, 05:04 PM
David,
Wow, thanks. I was only HOPING for such a thorough answer. And I GOT IT! Just some clarifications, please.

1). You referred to some photos Mike Heppner took. Did he take some of your setup? If so, where are they? Or are you referring to your setup is the same as Mike Heppners?

2). So what you are saying is that you make a manual water change at the end of the day of 100% with a hose, which is when you clean the poop and uneaten food off of the bottom. Then throughout the entire 24 hours, you have a drip of another 100% in 24 hours. How often do you scrub down the tanks?

3). Would you share your beefheart recipe, and the percentages of each ingredient? Throughout the day you feed them beefheart, then do your evening manual water change, and then feed them the frozen Hikari bloodworms after the w/c, and then leave them for the night?

4). I know I'd be interested in these two strains, and possibly your other strains as well, if you get them imported here to the U.S.A.

Thanks also for adding the info about the possibility of discus still growing to full size, even after being sick. That's reassuring. Again, Thanks so much for your time and answers!!! ;D
Lance Krueger

samcatj
11-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Comgratulations on an honor obvisously that is well deserved. Also many thanks for sharing some of your tips on discus rearing.

Samcatj

FT David
11-05-2003, 03:48 AM
Hi Lance and guys,

Again, I'll reply with as much details as possible in point form;

1. Yeap! Mike Heppner had taken some of the photos of my setup. Maybe, you can try asking him to post here or whichever he is comfortable with...

2. We are unable to scrub the tanks every day due to the amount of total tanks we have. We have the practice of scrubbing the tanks once every week including washing the sponge filters. However, we also engaged a pleco in every tanks to do the scrubbing for us during the normal days.

3. After the last feeding with BW, the discus will sleep till the next day...As to the beefheart recipe, I'm afraid that its not convenient to reveal. ;) What I can guarantee is that all are fed with natural ingredient like carrots and prawns.

4. We are proud to appoint Mike Heppner from 'Heps' Discus Center' to be our distributor in USA. Maybe, you guys who are interested can contact him for more information on our Discus. Thank you all for your interest in our Discus.

PS: Will be delighted to accept all opinions for improvement. ;D

David Lim
www.fishiotribe.com.sg

Wahter
11-05-2003, 04:50 AM
Congrats David, that's a nice looking fish. Whenever I get to Singapore, can I stop by meet you in person and take some photos?

FT David
11-05-2003, 06:33 AM
Wahter,

Of course, why not? Just drop me an email and I'll arrange my schedule to pick you up personally at the Airport. ;D ;D

Alan
11-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Excellent fish, David! Congratulations on a well-deserved win!

Wahter
11-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Wahter,

Of course, why not? Just drop me an email and I'll arrange my schedule to pick you up personally at the Airport. ;D ;D

Sounds good - I have to wait a few months though, but all of these Singapore discus pics are making me eager to get over there! :)

April
11-12-2003, 02:04 AM
Wahter. that will be a nice trip. hope you get to go.
come back and tell us all about it.