PDA

View Full Version : 6 new little guys - questions for ya!

Kevin63
10-30-2003, 01:59 PM
I have read learned a lot over the last couple months reading through this site. I would have never started a discus tank without this information. Thanks for the wealth of information. I've got 6 hungry juvenilles that seem to be doing great. I got them from Patrick here in Denver that I found on this forum. He sent me off with 6 great discus and 6 5-gal buckets of water to mix in with my water to give them a good start with me.

It was great to watch this first week. They were all scared and huddling together for a couple days and then started coming out and exploring. Then I guess the pecking order had to be determined and these guys were darting around, chasing each other for a day and a half. They've calmed down now and seem to have that straightened out.

2 questions:

One little guy (seems to be the smallest) hides by the heater and seems to keep his head lowered at about 45 degrees. He comes out to eat and swims around just fine, but seems to go back quite a bit. Is this a head-lowering sign that all might not be well? I've added epsom salt 12 hours ago and change water daily and clean out the crap a couple times a day and I just can't tell if he's allright because he eats with the rest of the guys. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and thats just his way ...

2nd question ... I need an auto-feeder ... I have this tank at my office (10 hours a day) they get lots of attention ... But I need to get ready for this weekend ... should I set my lights on the tank on a timer while I'm gone? and what kind of feeder and how many times a day should I feed them? I've seen cheap feeders that are too big to fit under my tank hood and the only feed twice a day ... I was thinking about 3-4 times daily Sat and Sun and a big water change on Mon ...

Carol_Roberts
10-30-2003, 07:08 PM
I really like my Eheim feeders. They feed 4 times per day.

Head down and hiding could be from illness or harassment. Keep a close eye on him.

Can you just leave a room light on over the weekend?

Kevin63
10-30-2003, 07:37 PM
I could leave a room light ... think thats better?

I'm gonna watch that little guy ... thanks for the help

Carol_Roberts
10-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Yes, the room light will work best.

Miles
10-31-2003, 01:58 AM
The fish that is hiding is the runt of the pecking order. It will get over it in time. If I had a tank for ever fish that was at the end of the pecking order I would have a warehouse full of tanks. I have noticed that placed in a bigger tank 135 gallon there is less fighting among them. Food for thought.
In answer to your 2nd question, raise guppies instead. 5 days of water changes and then 2 days of no water changes is a receipe for disaster. HTH
8)

Kevin63
10-31-2003, 11:39 AM
the fighting is over ... sharing food and hanging out together ... not sure if it was just them sorting things out or the salt had a calming effect ...

well ... lets just hope 5 days of water change and 2 days off doesn't cause a problem :-\

i assumed the attention i can give them for 50+ hours a week was better than evenings a weekends ... jeez ... i sound like a single dad or something!