PDA

View Full Version : how to blackout?

Brian-pdx
10-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Ok, for those of you who have done a blackout to put a dent in the algae, I could use details. I've got the black plastic tarp, and would like to start this weekend. Any hints? I'm planning on pulling the CO2, running the airstone continuously, and making a flap to allow for hand feeding the usual 4-5 times/day. How much will the feeding time impact the effectiveness? Room with ambiant daylight, no direct sun in room. I've also heard either 3 days or 4 days. I'd rather do it right the first time to allow the cleanup crew/low nitrates do their thing from this point on...

ChloroPhil
10-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Brian,

Do a 50% WC, pull the CO2 and add the airstone just like you said. Then cover with the tarp and don't let ANY light get in for the next three days.

Don't worry about feeding the fish except maybe once a day. They'll be fine for this short period.

When you're done, do another 50% WC and that should be that. :)

Brian-pdx
10-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Any Light! That's like sending your kids to camp the first time :-\ 3 days without seeing them! Thanks for the advice, and I'll let you know how it turns out. The other hints of nitrates, split light, etc have been slowing the algae, but the brush stuff is still all over the java ferns....

ChloroPhil
10-31-2003, 09:44 AM
Brush algae is going to be really hard to get rid of. The only way I know of defeating it is to get your nutrients in line and put an SAE or two in there.