PDA

View Full Version : Big als

MonkeeFish
10-31-2003, 10:25 PM
Does anyone know if big als online is trustworthy. I have never order from there before and im planning to but want to be sure thanks

Anonapersona
10-31-2003, 10:42 PM
Yes, they are very popular since they have the best prices most of the time (but do check the other sites just in case!). If you are in a hurry, I find DrsFosterSmith.com to be much faster with shipping, though that may have something to do with my location vs BigAl's. Also worth checking PetSolutions, sometimes they beat the others on prices.

MonkeeFish
10-31-2003, 10:54 PM
thanks Anonapersona. More replies is welcome and i have checked on DrF&S but they dont have all the stuff i need also what kind of dechlorinator would you guyz recommend???

Anonapersona
10-31-2003, 11:26 PM
I actually have 2, I use the bargain Trisodium phosphate from Aquatic Eco-System ($16 shipped in 5 lb bucket, 2 oz makes a quart, used 1 drop per gallon for dechlorination only... ought o last me about 10,000 years with my current tanks), but I also keep Prime on hand, for anytime I am concerned about the tank or filtration being out of whack. It handles heavy metals, ammonia, nitrite, I think it even makes nitrate harmless but don't quote me on that.

anona, keeping planted tropical tanks, no discus yet

RyanH
10-31-2003, 11:36 PM
I have ordered through Big Al's many times and yes, they are usually the cheapest and their service is usually decent. But they also tend to take awhile to get stuff to me. Also, if one of the items you order is out of stock, they will hold your order until everything comes in and then ship it. Usually this is fine but last month I ordered some desparately needed medication that they didn't have in stock but they didn't tell me this. I ended up having to order from somebody else.

For hydro-sponge filters, www.jehmco.com has the best prices. Their other stuff is reasonable as well. I just got an order from them a couple of days ago that I placed on Monday. I would also try www.petsolutions.com. They actually have a catalog that they will send you every month which is kindof cool.

As far as water conditioners, I just bought a gallon of Stress Coat that seems to have worked well for me so far. My fish haven't complained anyway. Don't get your nose too close to it or you will get blasted with a nearly unbearable smell of minty snot. You know you are a serious aquarist if you have to buy water conditioner by the gallon.

;D ;D ;D

hth
-Ryan

MonkeeFish
11-01-2003, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think im going to get "Prime" and start my order right now.

MonkeeFish
11-01-2003, 12:09 AM
Well i just made an order for

"hydrosponge filter 1
Ebo jager 100 watt heater
Prime water conditionor
and a Thermometer"

Also HOw long does it take for the "comfirmation email" to be mailed to me because i place my order and i havent got the comfirmation email yet

Thanks for all the replies

JOhnny

cd1000
11-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Just a quick word on Drs Foster Smith and their shipping:
I recently ordered from them and my recommendation is to stay away from them temporarily. They are switching shipping systems but are, in my opinion, quite ineffective. For now. I placed an order on a Wednesday and the order shipped on Thursday. The week after that is...

That's just my recent experience. I'm sure such a serious issue will be given high priority.

Tobias

DISCUS USA
11-01-2003, 12:30 AM
I just wanted to add that i ended up paying $28 for a piece of crap 100 watt heater from local petland because BIG ALS did not come through for me.I will admit their prices are alright but whats good price if you are not assured to get what you ordered on time because they screwed up and never even bothered contacting me to let me know my order was going to take 3 more business day to get here..to top things off after i canceled my order with them because they wasted my time ,,they still charged my credit card after i distinctly told them at time of cancelation not to charge my credit card...when i tryed to clear this up with them,,they kept putting me on hold ,,they kept making things difficult for me to get this cleared up...finally after a week of constant calling and demanding ..they credited the money back to my account..boy but i will never deal with those assh!$*s any more.The manager Dan sounds like a real jerk.
They have a 100 % product and service guarantte but if your not happy after they jerk you and your credit card around they basically tell you to go kiss their hairy smelly butts if you dont like it..thats what i got from them...i much rather pay slightly higher prices for people that ship within 24 hours and are much nicer in customer service..F#*k BIG ALS!!!!

MonkeeFish
11-01-2003, 12:41 AM
No need to be hating and you guys are scaring me. my darn comfirmation email has not come yet grrrrr. I will be very upset if i still dont get it tomorrow and if i must call in and cancel my order i will and if they send me pieces of Sh*T i will bug them for the rest of my life. : )

NO ONE LIKES BEING JIGGED

Dr. F&S sounds good but they don thave hydrosponge filters so i have to take my changes with Bigals

thanks all

RyanH
11-01-2003, 12:57 AM
I have never gotten a shipping confirmation from Big Al's. If you call them on Monday they will tell you if it has shipped or not. I always call them now to place my order and to confirm that it has shipped.

DISCUS USA
11-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Dont worry you will get your order...but when you will get it is another question...not too late to cancel order,,,dont be shy...JEHMCO sells all the hydro sponges at the best prices ive seen around...right now if you order any combination of i think 12 hydro sponges the price is even less .JEHMCO.COM ,,Ask for John,,they are very good in prices,service and if you tell them you saw an item cheaper from competator they will usually match it,,not sure if they will beat it though...but Jehmco AOK in my book. :)

MonkeeFish
11-01-2003, 01:15 AM
i c Ryan phew got me a lil worried there cuz this is what it says after i placed my order

Check Out

Your order has been sent to BigAlsOnline.com for processing. A confirmation email is being sent to ""
If you do not recieve this email, or having difficulty ordering, please email support@bigalsonline.com or call our toll free number 1-888-824-4257 and speak with one of our Customer Serivice Representatives

I will call them tomorrow to make sure about my order and see when it will be shipped out thanks again RYAN

Johnny

RyanH
11-01-2003, 01:45 AM
I got yo back Johnny! ;)

kjmillerfw
11-01-2003, 01:55 AM
I have ordered several times from BigAl's and never been disappointed. However, it does take anywhere from 5 to 7 working days to get your order.

MonkeeFish
11-01-2003, 01:57 AM
Thanks hector and Ryan. I only need 1 of each the items.
The items all kind of balanced out to be the same
after placing the orders cuz of the differences in prices
but yeah i will for sure call in tomorrow
and bug them about it nicey until they start to be a
jerk like you said hector then they got problems.

: )

thanks

JDS
11-01-2003, 09:25 AM
Timing on big ales orders seem to correlate with where you live. I've ordered a lot of stuff with them and never been disappointed. I believe they have a warehouse in New York. And that would explain why get my orders in three to four days.

DISCUS USA
11-01-2003, 10:08 AM
BIG ALS SUCKS.... LOL...
My last order with them they told me to wait 7 business days and im in NEW YORK! Its makes me mad that i had to pay $28 from Local Blood Suckers Store for a cheap hagen 100 watt heater because BIG ALS forgot to send my order and all i got was a SORRY SIR...And the next day i was expecting 6 new discus and had no heater for their 55 gallon ,,thats why i was forced to buy the crappy expensive heater.BIG ALS not dependable and their 100% service satisfaction guaranttee is backed by you dont like our service OH WELL!! EVER wish you can strangle someone but they are on phone in another state ,LOL....

jim_shedden
11-01-2003, 10:49 AM
I have ordered 28 times from big al's and have never had a problem. I have had credfits and refunds and have had no problems. I consider them one of the safest "on-line" vendors to do business with.

Jim

MonkeeFish
11-01-2003, 04:11 PM
Well then should i still "call in" to check if my order go thru. Cuz i never gotten the comfirmation letter!!!

Thanks
Johnny

ronrca
11-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Before, the closet Big Al's was a 2.5 hour drive, one which wouldnt make much sense to me when I can order it online and cheaper than in the store. Just recently, Big Als opened about 6 blocks from where I work! ;D Prices are the same as online and I can get it immediatly. I order all my equipment (canisters, heaters, etc) from Big Al's online before the store opened and always had wonderful service! ;)

Kap
11-03-2003, 02:36 PM
I have been pleased with the service of DrsF&S. They have a great catalogue with lots of product and fish-keeping information in it. Warehouse in WI got my stuff to OH in about 5 days. I thought the shipping was a little expensive but I got my order as ordered and within a reasonable time. I have not tried Big Als so cannot speak to their service.

--kap

drew22to375
11-03-2003, 07:56 PM
I have ordered from Big al's about a dozen times. Never had a problem. Good customer service. They have even called me back a couple of times just to let me know that some items I ordered was out of stock. As mentioned DRS. Foster & Smith is also a good one to order from. good service, But their prices are usually a little higher than Big Al's So I use them if I can't find what I want at Big Al's.

aloha_discus
11-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Aloha everyone, I have ordered from both places and was satisfied with service from both also. Big Als always gets my order first and DRs foster and smith get second if Big Als does not have what I need on hand. I really try to purchase some things from my lfs. The reason being is they go out of business, I have nowhere to sell my excess angels, guppies, discus, corys, frontosas and other aquatic life. I do offer aquatic life to public at wholesale prices with a minimum $100. I hope this helps you. Oh yeah I have never recieved a confimation number fro Big Als.

Mahalo, Ike ;D

MonkeeFish
11-03-2003, 10:44 PM
i think they should take that last page off their website then . The one that talks about the comfirmation email : ). I got like a dozen LFS around my house. i wouldnt mind if one goes out of business. Actually one did and it was a very very very nice one to. The nicest one i have seen in my little life but sadly they left witout hollering at me so i did not get any cheap stuff lol.

Johnny

breed_beyond
11-04-2003, 12:04 AM
Ok here is a e-mail that was sent to Cary about a month ago.

Ok here's why i'm not ready for fish. I posted this in the moderater section on daah but thought i'd send it to you also.

This was posted last Thursday.
I placed a order over a week ago and called on Monday this week to get a shipping #, well they said that they had lost the order somehow and it would be rushed 2nd day to me and that I should call again on wednesday. Well I called again and they said the order had not been placed and it would be rushed out. Again I wait today again call and they say that the order had not been sent and that it would be picked today by ups and shipped next day air and no charge ok sounds like a mix up, well I checked my online balance today to update my books via quicken and the bastards have charged me 3x's for the same order and i'm not even sure that it has even gone out yet. Needless to say I will stick to the quality service that I have been given in the past by that pet place and say screw big al's. Some items are more at that pet place but they match prices and have never failed me in over 20 orders.

Later that Day!
It gets worse, now they are saying that they only charged me once! They even called merchant services and the charges don't show up there either, but my bank says differantly. So I called back and told them they needed to fax a letterhead over to my bank saying that there should only be one charge and they had the nerve to tell me they can't right now there just too busy and to call back tommorow, assholes.

Next Day Friday.
Well I talked to big al's again today and apparently they sent out 3 orders all containing the same items, they said the money would be put back in my account and my shipment would be here on monday, we'll see.

And then here's today..
Well it's monday and guess what, I called to get a tracking # and thought that I would be getting my order well I went over to ups.com and entered the tracking # and it turns out they sent it out ground and I won't be getting it till friday. They also said that there are the other orders that got sent out coming my way to! They want me to call them when I get all 3 then have them send out a return slip and take 2 of the packeges to ups to send back to them.

Wahter
11-04-2003, 10:47 AM
I've placed an order with Big Al's about 2 years ago and have been satisfied with dealing with them. I had ordered some Tropica Mastergrow.

MonkeeFish
11-04-2003, 09:22 PM
Cary if i were you keep all 3 boxes . that's what they get for messing you up like that : ). But then they got your credit card number so who noes what they could do.

Well i'll call in tomorrow and try and get a tracking # if possible :)

Miles
11-05-2003, 01:52 AM
Drs. Foster & Smith awesome service. I get my items next day air. What is another 10.00 or so bucks and not have to wait for UPS. Have used them for a few years and never had any bad dealings with them or any of their products.
John at Jehmco, GREAT service and prices also. But there I pay for the next day delivery also same as I do with Drs F&S.
Big AL's still waiting for them to credit back my credit card for products that I did not recieve. It has taken 5 months to resolve.

HTH
8)

11-05-2003, 01:39 PM
I like Dr fosters myself also......fast turn around...I get most of my packages within two days and that is with regular ground service...and like stated in another post...if you really need it fast for an extra 10 bucks you get you order over night.....They also send me a tracking order via email without me even asking for it....And they will tell you right on the phone when you are placing your order if the item is in stock...many places wont do that and will ship your order to you without that item and send you a note telling you it is on back order :( :( :(
Big Als may be cheaper of some items but I dont like waiting a week or better to get my order....

Randy

DISCUS USA
11-05-2003, 02:34 PM
Well folks i just checked with my bank and BIG *** i mean BIG ALS did return the money they wrong fully took from my checking account...Needless to say i will never deal with BIG ALS ever again...no trust no business....F**K BIG ALS...

RyanH
11-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Hector please, don't mix words. Tell us how you really feel. ;D ;D ;D ;D

MonkeeFish
11-17-2003, 02:59 AM
HEY EVERYONE

My order from big als is finally arriving tomorrow.
Does anyone know if you can go pick it up from the store
by using your tracking number or is there a way???

I will tell everyone if the stuff is crappy or not
When i get home from skewl tomorrow and hopefully
Woot woot had to wait 2 whole darn weeks for it