PDA

View Full Version : so whats the Rage in Discus Foods these days...

brewmaster15
11-01-2003, 03:15 AM
Just curious.. whats everyone feeding their fish these days.?

-al

crazy4discus
11-01-2003, 03:55 AM
i feed my discus cbw, frozen hikari bloodworms , and tetrabits thats all

Discus_KC
11-01-2003, 04:18 AM
Brew,

One more post to drive me insane with !!!!!!!!!

Jack

paulmat
11-01-2003, 05:19 AM
BH mix, ON1 flakes,T Bits,and bloodworms.

Paul :guitarist:

April
11-01-2003, 05:35 AM
I feed mostly onf1 flake....and bloodworms once a day and a bit of beefheart.

Mak
11-01-2003, 06:03 AM
Top of the menu is TetraMin. My fish fight over every large flake that falls.

Ocean perch from the frozen food section. (not fresh water) I cut a chunk off and chop it up fine. I dump this in the morning B4 lights on. They dont go nuts for it, but it gives them something to peck at during the day. Every speck will be cleaned up by the time I get home.

Two cubes of frozen Hikari blood worms every other day.

No live food.

Mak

nowings
11-01-2003, 06:45 AM
CBW, TETRA BITS, FORMULA 1 FLAKE, AND JACK WATTELY FROZEN DISCUS FORMULA!!! YUMMY......

NANCY

Ardan
11-01-2003, 07:17 AM
CBW!

And formulua 1 and 2 flakes and discus pellets.

And CBW ;D

11-01-2003, 07:23 AM
100% BH mix for juveniles and adults.
100% Red wrigglers for breeders with eggs and carrying fry.
Jimmy

mench
11-01-2003, 08:06 AM
Frozen Discus Diet,live CBW's,frozen bloodworms,pellets,flake...can't get them to eat the brides meatloaf yet,but then even the dog won't touch it LOL

Mench

Abercrombie6202
11-01-2003, 08:53 AM
I've been feeding mine BW and have been trying to feed tetrabits, but they just don't like them, lol

Discusgeo
11-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Adults and Teenagers get Frozen Beefheart, Bloodworms, Mysis, Brine Shrimp with a little of the NatuRose & Spirulina powder mixed in for a few of them. They get a little of Haifeng SUPER BITS.

I give my Wilds some young Red Worms plus the above.

My Discus and Angel fry get Golden Pearls and newly hatched Brine Shrimp with Selco added in the BS. As they get older I move them to the larger Golden Pearls, Haifeng SUPER BITS and then Frozen Foods.

Angels are fed Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp, Angel Flakes, Artemia Flakes and Haifeng SUPER BITS.

jim_shedden
11-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Once a month I feed live cbw's. The standard is a b/h mix and sometimes froozen blood worms.

jim

TheDiscusKid
11-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Right now I'm feeding BW, ON flakes, shrimp mix, spectrum pellets :)

Bruce

iceskater
11-01-2003, 10:26 AM
ONF1 & 2. Hikari Frozen Brine Shrimp. I try to get them to eat color bits, some will some won't. But I keep trying.

Pat_in_NC
11-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Im trying a month without CBW--instead I'm giving them a greater variety of frozen foods (which I buy from Dan) and pellets.

For juveniles: Frozen bloodworms, frozen ONF1, frozen beefheart (SF Bay), Frozen brine shrimp (for over 2" juvis), Tetra Bits, Azoo Red Pellets and ONF1 flake. Every day they get at least three feedings of frozen food and two of pellets/flake. I rotate these a bit but they get bloodworms and onf1 frozen everyday.

For Adults: Morning frozenbloodworm Evening Tetrabits Snack ONF1 flake.

Its been nice not having to deal with rinsing the blackworms and being there when the box arrives. I also notice that the fish eat a variety of food more easily without blackworms on the menu. I also had fish "holding out" for the blackworms when they were fed other foods.

I'll still be buying blackworms for that critical period of fry between 3 weeks and 8 weeks of age where they really seem to help growth a lot.

Pat

jeep
11-01-2003, 03:56 PM
I feed primarily beefheart, along with ONF2, Tetrabits, blood worms and red wigglers.

I'd like to increase the red wigglers as soon as I get a larger culture going, mainly due to the protein content...

Brian

limige
11-01-2003, 04:11 PM
mainly cbw, occasionally tetra bits or red worms.

youngsters obviously get BBS, then pump them with tetrabits and cbw to help them grow and color up!

preparing to start a BH mix, but haven't done it yet. soon i will.

Lizzie
11-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Hikari blood worms, Ocean nutrition formula 1 flake and pellet, spectrum discus, Wattley formula frozen, Sometimes Diskisen. Frozen food in AM dry all other feedings. :wave: :wave:

ozone
11-02-2003, 03:32 AM
I feed tetra colour bits as a base diet with bloodworms,and homemade beefheart aswell and the younger fish get stick on tabs aswell, sometimes medicated with metro. :)

gary1218
11-02-2003, 09:41 AM
I just got a nice feeding routine going. Beef heart in the morning - I alternate between a VERY GOOD commercially prepared one and my own VERY SIMPLE one that has red & blue color enhancers added. Hikari frozen MYSIS at lunch time - these are a lot smaller than the other frozen ones you can buy and my discus eat these whereas they didn't eat the others. Hikari frozen blood worms at night after a thorough vacuuming of the tank.

GARY

Debo
11-02-2003, 10:22 AM
I feed BH first feeding of the day. Plankton Gold flakes. CBW, Hikari blood worms, frozen Brine shrimp. Then I have a few other foods that I switch off to. Earth worm flakes, plankton, Jack Wattleys discus formula, spirulina flakes. frozen glass worms, mysis. Sometimes I buy live Brine shrimp. They love to chase them around :)
DebO

11-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Howdeee All:

I threw in the towel after reading many of the fine postings in our forum and after chewing on my kerds for feeling that fish shouldn't consume meat. Big Brewmaster15 (Al), you were one to inform and warn me. ;D

I give my fishies frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimps and Color tetrabits. I've just ordered some freeze-dried mysis shrimp and worms from a Kenfish. Waiting for the package. Hopefully my fishies will like it. :)

Peace, Love, Flowers & Discus to ya!

**Angie**

chuck
11-02-2003, 10:47 AM
it seems everyone feeds the same thing..... :D
:thumbsdown:FOOD FAILURES :thumbsdown:
AZOO Discus Pellets
VibraGro
ONF1 pellets
Aquadine flake

??? ANY ONE EVER TRY ???
Marineland Bio-Blends
Dainichi (Ultima, Primary Krill or Color Supreme)
Hikari (flake or freeze dried)

NOW to answer the post topic: ;D I feed....
LIVE: fry- BBS fry & adults CBW (sometimes)
DRY Tetra -Color bits, tetra flake or crisps
FROZEN Hikari (BW, Mysis Shrimp Brineshrimp) FRY- Hikari daphnia and ONF1 cubes Beefheart sometimes find it really messes up the water if/when I use it it's about 1 hour before water change.

Chuck

jules
11-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Hi April - where do you buy your ONF1 Flake in Canada?

thx

11-03-2003, 12:15 PM
it seems everyone feeds the same thing..... :D
:thumbsdown:FOOD FAILURES :thumbsdown:
AZOO Discus Pellets
VibraGro
ONF1 pellets
Aquadine flake

??? ANY ONE EVER TRY ???
Marineland Bio-Blends
Dainichi (Ultima, Primary Krill or Color Supreme)
Hikari (flake or freeze dried)

Chuck

Hi, Chuck:

In re: Marineland Bio-Blend -- My fishies knock this stuff right out of the water! I was so surprised to see this occur for I never fed them this before. They're colorful bits of food and seem to be a joy for all fish. But since I only had a few sample packages, I don't have much experience with it. It's not stocked by my LFS. But like you've said above, the Hikari frozen foods is ideal (less water cloudiness) and like Al and others has said that flake foods tends to cloud water, I agree with them. My fishies have less scratch and parasite floating in water.

**Angie**

Larry Grenier
11-03-2003, 02:11 PM
This question may beling in the newbies section but it relates to this. For us folks who've been out for a while please define the following.
BW = bloodworms or blackworms?
cbw = cultured something worms?
ON# flakes = Ocean Nutrition's FORMULA # FLAKE?
onf1 = same as above
Golden Pearls = Brine Shrimp Direct's product in various sizes.
Selco = a vitamin supplement.

brewmaster15
11-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Hi Larry,
CBW... california blackworms..live worms... see banner for Aquatic food above for example :)

Bw.. blood worm..frozen... with most using hikari brand

ONF1 ocean nutrition formula one. flakes.

hth

-al

Harriett
11-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Juveniles get hikari frozen BW 3 x day and a serving daily each of Tetra color bits and frozen mysis shrimp.
Adults get one big breakfast of BW in the am and color bits at night. Once in a while mysis.
Everybody gets irregular servings of CBW when I have them and various other frozen (OF1, etc).
Harriett

samcatj
11-03-2003, 10:12 PM
I feed an assortment of foods:
BW
Mysis Brine Shrimp
ONF 1 frozen
Brine Shrimp
Chopped BH
Tetra Bits

Samcatj

Geodiscus
11-07-2003, 11:42 PM
4 feedings a day..
Early morning....Hak. blood worms
10am tetra bits
2pm tetra bits
5pm beef heart
the 10 and 2 feedins are dispened by auto feeder.

Kap
11-08-2003, 01:03 AM
Mornings - one of Plankton Gold Flake or various Omega 1 flakes + Tetrabits
Late afternoons and night snack - frozen Hikari BWs or BS, Tetrabits occasionally.

They will eat Marineland's Bio Blend, and the little pellets keep the water clean, whereas the flakes tend to disperse.

As I have not regularly feed BH, they just pick at it. Most goes to waste and I just have to clean it up, unlike the other foods.

ChloroPhil
11-08-2003, 09:03 AM
I've taken to feeding my fish Ocean Nutrition Special Formula "VHP" (Very High Protein) now that I'm not home enough to feed them but twice a day.

Haywire
11-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Hi April - where do you buy your ONF1 Flake in Canada?

thx

Jules,

If you're in the GTA area, I got a can from Aquarium Depot in Brampton, north of the airport. Not cheap stuff, over feeding will turn the water a nice orange colour. :)
(aquariumdepot.com)

Also if you're in the GTA area, come by the Brampton aquarium clubs annual show/auction Sunday.

Haywire
11-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Not that I'm the greatest discus keeper but here's what my babies get.

Trout pellets from the autofeeder in the grow out tank 2x a day. (8am & 8pm, well now it's more like 9am and 9pm)

Mornings (7:30am) they get flake.
A choice of nutri-whatever, either the staple or the colour enhancer
brine shrimp flake
krill flake
earthworm flake
sera high protein pellets

Evenings, this is where I get to have fun (roughly 10pm).
Frozen brine,
beef heart,
mysis, (I love watching small discus share a large one and tear it apart)

Past flops:
Frozen bloodworms, stuff I had would give the poor buggers bloat, and I was shocked at how much foriegn matter is incorporated in that little cube.

Gary128, what's the red and blue colour enhancer that you mentioned in your post?

Jeff
11-08-2003, 12:06 PM
That's all very interesting. While in Singapore and Malaysia Every breeder I went to only feeds their own beefheart/shrimp/seafood/vitamin enhanced mix. I did not see any breeders feed live tubliflex I watched all the pet stores feed tubliflex.

While I don't totally agree this is the optimium feed it raises a good point why do we feed what we do?

Pesronally I feed a combo of flakes and seafood mix. I have stopped all live food but ocasionally feed BW.

yippy
11-09-2003, 04:59 AM
Well I dont want to make Jack feel bad until he gets home and gets all his fish up and running - so at the moment I dont feed mine anything. :o
Kerry

jim_shedden
11-09-2003, 08:46 AM
interesting thread folks............. :thumbsup:

April
11-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Jules. i get Jeff to send me the onf1 flake. i was getting it here in vancouver from the wholesaler..but they had a falling out with the company. but...new owners now.so possibly they will again soon.
another food i started feeding is the sera discus pellets. they seem to take to those .their similar looking to tetrabits. think they dont turn the water as bad if left over. jason sells those i believe in canada.
kerrys fish really eat better than most people!! fresh steak to her red devil.....and live brine.....and worms....and everything imaginable for dinner. she goes grocery shopping for her fish......and then with the change left over she manages to buy herself a loaf of bread for the week!!!

yippy
11-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Well sorry Jack, but im gonna have tell what I feed my fish.

Discus Mix, Blood worm, Community dinner (has vegies & beefheart etc), Live Blackworms, live brine shrimp and sometimes earthworms. Theyll only eat the earthworms if theyre small or chopped up. I just vary all those things. They wont eat flakes or pellets - ive probably spoiled them. Although, my new little goldens from Rod will eat tetra bits too.

My red devil eats bloodworm, large cichlid pellets and fillet steak chopped up and rolled into little balls. And as pril said - I eat bread.

Kerry :)

Molly525
11-09-2003, 10:05 PM
I got some frozen bloodworms. Then when I got home I noticed it said red mosquito larvae. Is that the "right" kind? It is San Francisco Bay brand.

Mostly I feed mine frozen ON F#1, Omega One Flakes, and Color Bits. They are learning to like the Spectrum Discus Formula.

Bobby_L
11-10-2003, 07:14 PM
I feed Hikari frozen BW, BS, and Krill. I've tried Tetra ColorBits, but not all will feed on them. I'm currently trying to get them going for Hikari discus sinking pellets, the formula looks very good 50% protein and white fish meal and shrimp meal. No corn meal, according to Koi Keepers corn meal is hard for fish to digest and utilize.

Bobby L

Mike_T
11-11-2003, 09:55 AM
beefheart mix.
tetra color bits.
formula one flake.
hikari bloodworms & brineshrimp.
occasional earthworms.
yum.

-mike t 8)

fshngal
11-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Homemade discus food with ? heart, shrimp, spinach(main ingredients), Hikari BW, Mysis Shrimp, several types of flake.

Mary :)

lkleung007
11-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Hey Al,

Great topic as usual!!

Here is what I am feeding my Discus;

in morning: healthy serving of Flake food (Omega 1 or ON)
around noon: mysis relicta
later afternoon/early evening: BH mix
late evening: bloodworms/live and frozen brine shrimp (got lazy rinsing CBW)

Unfortunately, my Discus don't seem to like tetrabits as much.

Regards, Lester :)

DISCUSDADDYSLC
11-12-2003, 12:37 AM
I FEED B/H MIX SOME BITS AND FLAKE. tHE NEW :thumbsup: STUFF I GOT FROM AL AT ROCKYMOUNTAIN AND BEEN FEEDING IT FOR 3 WEEKS AND THESE FISH LOVE IT AND IT IS IMPROVING COLOR. IT'S THE OMEGE ONE COLOR FLAKE, VERY IMPRESSED WITH IT. AND I'M NOT JUST SAYING THAT BECAUSE THIS GUY IS A ASSKICKKER HIMSELF ;)