PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: MARINE LIVESTOCK AND DECOR

RandalB
11-01-2003, 03:52 AM
Hi all,
I am setting up a small (37 Gallon + 10 Sump) marine aquarium for my daughter.

It’s going to be fish and cleaner inverts with a little bit of live rock kinda setup. Nothing spectacular, no Mini-reef or anything. I personally don’t like to ship any kind of aquatic life if I can so I am looking for some items/livestock locally (Chicago, IL area)

I am looking for:
Turbo or Astrea Snails
Hermit Crabs appropriate to this size tank
Decent Live Rock (just a few starter pieces)
Base Rock (25 or 30 lbs)
An appropriate sized serpent star

Essentially, I am looking for tank cleaners and some live rock. I am willing to pay cash or I have a pretty good selection of RO equipment and supplies if a trade is desirable. As most know, I have; RO units, Prefilters, Membranes,Booster pumps,DI cartridges, hanna instruments test equipment and more

If you have any of the above or know someone who does, please contact me at Rbogath@aol.com with replies.

Thanks,
RandalB

Discusgeo
11-01-2003, 09:03 AM
Randal check here at the frag exchange you might find some people from your area here.
http://www.fragexchange.com/Forum/category-view.asp?user=&key=&MainMenu=1&SubMenu=

fcdiscus
11-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Stop fooling around and set up a Discus tank! Frank ;)

paulmat
11-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Randal,
I know you said in the Chi. area, but if you can't find a good source I highly recomend Jeffsexoticfish.com out here in Cal. He's got great stuff,great prices,and ships all over the world ;)

Paul :guitarist:

Cormorant
11-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Randal.
There is a small store in Mundelein where you can get some nice semi-cured live rock for around $3-4 per lb.
For substrate you can go with crashed coral or fine sand. Some Home Depot stores have pre-baged tropical sand under Suout Down brand that is very popular among reefers. Hard to beat the price at $6.99 per 40lbs bag.
For clean-up crew I recommend http://www.reeftopia.com/index.htm
Good prices and great service. I'm putting an order together tomorrow for some snails and crabs. Let me know if you want to share the box. Shipping is free.

Albert

RandalB
11-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Thanks all,

Some Good suggestions except for Frank (as usual..) Frank, I got too many discus tanks already. This one's for my daughter (Can anyone say "NEMO")

I am set for the substrate, I am getting the bio-active stuff wholesale (80 Lbs for $30.00) and some of the buffering sand.

There are a bunch of places that will sell the live rock for $2.00-6.00 per lb. I am just hoping someone is getting rid of a couple of chunks (or knows someone who is)

I also have a couple of leads on the cleaners.

Don't stop though, Keep the suggestions coming (except Frank of course..)

RandalB

FishGuru
11-02-2003, 01:55 AM
Check out www.reefcentral.com You have to become a member to check out their Selling forums, but it's well worth it. You can always find a great deal there!

RandalB
11-02-2003, 02:27 AM
Already there. I also got a good tip about www.Harboraquatics.com in Valparaiso IN. I am within driving distance and their prices are excellent.

RandalB

fcdiscus
11-02-2003, 02:29 PM
:-X ;D ;D ;D