PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Wire

goldenmunky
11-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Hello folks, my discus has been doing good lately, I don't know the strain of them but anyways, right now they only have 5 surviving babies hehe, they ate most of the other ones for no apparent reason, so if they do eat the 5 babies, I was thinking of getting chicken wire. I went to Home Depot and only found the metal ones not the plastic coated, is it ok to use that? And will it rust?

Carol_Roberts
11-01-2003, 01:02 PM
It will rust. Buy plastic mesh . . . like gutter guard

jun
11-01-2003, 01:03 PM
you can't use anything galvanized.

shamsoo
11-01-2003, 01:30 PM
or if you have paint spray gun, paint it with plastic paint

goldenmunky
11-01-2003, 01:57 PM
cool thanks for the advice

reef
11-01-2003, 10:00 PM
I believe it will rust but not within the hatching/free swimming period.

My young BD pair trying for 5th time. Only less than 10 fries.

shamsoo
11-02-2003, 02:34 PM
nice pair :D

Discusgeo
11-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Use the galvanized wire. It won't be in your tank long enough to rust away. Once the baby's are free swimming the guard won't save them. You use the guard to only protect the eggs. The eggs and then the baby's are free swimming in 7 days.

goldenmunky
11-03-2003, 12:32 AM
nice pair Reef :) Thanks for the advice guys :) Gonna give it a try, gonna buy both plastic and galvantized.

Smokey
11-03-2003, 04:20 AM
Galavinzed wire contains zinc. Extremely dangerous.

Why do people throw such contaminates in their tanks??

Zinc kills. Look up on the chemical tables/health reports.

Time - any time is too long. MPE..

Why introduce such a dangerous chemical. ??

Smokey
P.S - these are my own personal expierences .

I do not intend to direct my comments to any person. Simplydiscus - is not respondsible, for any of my comments. Or should they be held respondsible.

If anyone has any questions/dispute.. pm are appropiate.

goldenmunky
11-04-2003, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info Smokey. I decided to buy the plastic mesh, so gonna try that out soon.

Miles
11-05-2003, 01:31 AM
Dang I must be lucky, my pairs only eat eggs or fry if water is messed up.

8)

Smokey
11-05-2003, 02:34 AM
Howdy - Miiles - good observation.
But, what do you mean-[Dang I must be lucky, my pairs only eat eggs or fry if water is messed up.]. quote...

Goldenmunky - Have you discus had a chance to breed , again...lol.

Smokey

goldenmunky
11-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Well smokey, my discus spawned the day after I changed their water lol. Right now they are doing ok with the eggs, the eggs are more spread out, but it's going to be the third day so hopefully wigglers tomorrow if they don't eat the wigglers! grrr, well anyways, should I raise the temperature up to a few degrees to speed up the process? It's at 80-81. Thanks

Smokey
11-09-2003, 09:36 PM
It.has been mentioned, [=S.D.] not to change the water after or even durning a spawn.

REASON - mpo - unable to match the water parameters!

Clear water is not the best for discus. MPE.

If and when the discus spawn - leave the water alone, !!!. This is based on the asumption, that the tank is large enought to support life; in the first place,

Remember, discus like clean, pure, water.

Smokey

with a capatial "S".

Smokey
11-09-2003, 09:39 PM
It.has been mentioned, [=S.D.] not to change the water after or even durning a spawn.

REASON - mpo - unable to match the water parameters!

Clear water is not the best for discus. MPE.

If and when the discus spawn - leave the water alone, !!!. This is based on the asumption, that the tank is large enought to support life; in the first place,

Remember, discus like clean, pure, water.

Smokey

with a capatial "S".

goldenmunky
11-09-2003, 10:54 PM
oh ok cool :)

Smokey
11-09-2003, 10:58 PM
LOL...

Miles
11-10-2003, 02:29 AM
Smokey,
Sometimes when the fry are young and the water par., get off along ways they clean house. My pairs like their water around 7.0 give or take alittle either way. It is when it goes south big time the fry are history.
8)
Miles

shamsoo
11-10-2003, 02:11 PM
I also dont change water until fry attach fully

Smokey
11-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Miles, shamsoo, goldenmunky; - and the others of this post -

A problem has arisen..

First - the use of chicken wire. As is mentioned - chicken wire is galvinized [ zinc coated steel wire].

"Just licking the wire" can cause health problems in humans -- some health advisory council conclusion... Like eating red piant - lead.

OR like too many "famous" fast food HAMBURGES.. lol...
Sorry no names - I have alrady been sued by "that " organization!

Second -W/C's; while the discus have eggs/new fry.,

MPO/E - it may not be necessary to stop w/c's. BUT - to very careful!!!

Small w/c's... can be done. Remeber the discus are comfortable in fresh water.

So, rather than doing the traditional 40 - 50 % w/c... cut back to quite 5 - 10 % w/c's. AND BE QUIET...SHOOOOO! Babies on board. lol...
Use a shpyon hose to remove the waters. Slowly let the fresh water drip/flow in...

Discus will accept humans; trust!

But, like any parent - they are more possive. Treat them kindly!

Smokey

goldenmunky
11-10-2003, 09:12 PM
ok well I did what you did and didn't touch the water hehe, the eggs have turned into wigglers!!! And the parents moved them just above where they laid their eggs! So now, should I remove my sponge filter...or leave it there and only let a very very very slow amount of bubble?

I figure that I would keep the sponge filter there since it might disturb the parents....please help.

Smokey
11-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Gold - monk ??

Sounds great . The sponge filter, if it is not bothering the discus, why not leave it. You may "scare " the parents, by removing it.

Smokey