PDA

View Full Version : Amquel?

bikhu
11-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am looking for a less expensive but effective alternative to Prime for dechlorination. Does anyone have any experience with Amquel? It can be purchased at Big ALs for like $28 a gal. I think someone recently posted a generic alternative as well. I am open to suggestions. Thanks for your input.
Be safe, Be well , Be Peace...
peter

paulmat
11-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Peter,
Amquel works fine, and John over at Jehmco has a great product I have been useing for about a year called AquaScience Ultimate that is even less expensive.It does it all (except change your water for you,lol) ::)

Paul :guitarist:

Mr. Limpet
11-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Peter, Jehmco also sells Chlor -Am -ex powder. 5 lbs. for around $25. this makes the equivalent of 20, sixteen ounce Amquel liquid bottles that usually sell for $7 -$8 each. I just switched over a month ago, and am very happy. The fish didn't notice a thing. There are a couple of other people here that use it also. Search on the Water works section for Amquel, and there is a little more info. Good luck, Paul.

William Palumbo
11-02-2003, 09:29 PM
I have used Amquel for years and I do like and prefer it over other tap water conditioners, though I have not tried them all, I try and stick with what works for me. The only problem I have with Amquel, is when I have fry feeding off the parents, the addition of Amquel makes them behave eraticaly, swimming along the bottom of the tank. When I use a water conditioner in that situation, I use Prime. HTH....Bill

bikhu
11-02-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I appreciate your input!
peter

Willie
11-03-2003, 08:16 AM
I had a long chat with John Farrell Kuhns, whose company manufactures all these products. AmQuel and Chloram-X have the same active ingredient. Ultimate is a combination of NovAqua and AmQuel. Chloram-X is the most cost effective way to go.

For my grow out tanks, I drop my cost further by using 80% sodium thiosulfate and 20% AmQuel. Sodium thiosulfate will convert all the chloramine to chlorine and ammonia. AmQuel will scavenge and detoxify all the ammonia. Breeder tanks get only AmQuel.

Willie

henryD
11-03-2003, 11:38 AM
If you want to read about the interview from Kuhns you can go to the following link...

http://www.aquamaniacs.net/jfk.html

bikhu
11-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Thanks Henry,
I enjoyed the article. Very informative.

Harriett
11-03-2003, 04:13 PM
I used Prime and Amquel for over a year and then found a site called Pondepot.com. when I was looking for something more cost effective.
They have a 16 oz. bottle of Chlorine and Heavy Metal Remover for $10.99 that treats 9600 gallons.
They also have a jar (Looks to be about 2 cups) that I am not seeing on the website but they switched part of my order and sent me (with a nice letter and a quart of free koi/goldfish food) when I ordered 2 more bottles of the first stuff....it is basically just the dry equivelant of the bottled stuff but it is $7.99 and when you reconstitute it, the jar will treat 45,000 gallons of water...yes, it's true.
The chlorine remover works as well as anything I've ever tried and is SO much cheaper!
By the way, they also sell dry sodium thiosulfate crystals for $11.99 for a jar that looks to be about 2 cups....not bad!
Harriett

henryD
11-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Peter,

Does your water have chloramine? If not I would consider just using sodium thiosulfate.....Let me know I order like 50 lbs or something ridiculous like that and would pass some your way.

Henry

bikhu
11-03-2003, 09:12 PM
No Chloramine!
My cousin is the commisioner of the water department and he is committed to not use chloramine. In fact where I live we use very little chlorine as well.
Where do you purchase TSP? In what form? How much?

henryD
11-04-2003, 10:39 AM
I purchase it online. If you do a search for it someone mention a store that you can get if from cheaply. It is in crystal for. Also sometimes fabric stores sell them as bleach stop or something like that....so check around the local fabric stores. If not drop me your address and I will send you a 2lb bag...or you can stop by and pick up a couple of those barrels while your at it.

Henry